• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If God forgave everyone, there wouldn't be any justice

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Indeed. And isn't "the greater good" a selfless stance?

Not according to Ann Rand.

Do not hide behind such superficialities as whether you should or should not give a dime to a beggar. That is not the issue. The issue is whether you do or do not have the right to exist without giving him that dime. The issue is whether you must keep buying your life, dime by dime, from any beggar who might choose to approach you. The issue is whether the need of others is the first mortgage on your life and the moral purpose of your existence. The issue is whether man is to be regarded as a sacrificial animal. Any man of self-esteem will answer: “No.” Altruism says: “Yes.”

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Not according to Ann Rand.
We're not talking about Ann Rand here. We're talking about Christian tenet, according to which we should give away all we have to the poor and follow Jesus. That is the greater good being discussed in this thread.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
We're not talking about Ann Rand here. We're talking about Christian tenet, according to which we should give away all we have to the poor and follow Jesus. That is the greater good being discussed in this thread.

Exactly what Ann Rand saw no benefit in. in fact looking back at the OP, I'd say that position and Ann have a lot in common.

However, how is this tenet for the greater good?

Last edited:

sojourner

Exactly what Ann Rand saw no benefit in. in fact looking back at the OP, I'd say that position and Ann have a lot in common.

However, how is this tenet for the greater good?
Yeah, well, Rand is an objectivist, whose ideas seem very self-centered. That is incompatible with Christian tenet (which is, after all, what we're discussing here. The OP and Rand do have a lot in common, which is why I think the OP sucks with regard to its theological position. It's incompatible with Christian tenet.

According to Christian tenet, the objective of one's life is to see Jesus in the least among us and to contribute to the well-being of those people. When their plight in life is raised to some level of just dignity, that's the greater good. Killing people doesn't further that cause. Forgiving them does.

Nothingness888

Every sin is forgiable but paganism or worshipping another as God "blashmy the Holy Spirit". Apart from worshipping another as God, any other sin is forgivable and can get out of, and avoid Hell.

Worshipping another as God is treason against the Master of the Multiverse. He will not forgive these on Judgement Day.

sojourner

Every sin is forgiable but paganism or worshipping another as God "blashmy the Holy Spirit". Apart from worshipping another as God, any other sin is forgivable and can get out of, and avoid Hell.

Worshipping another as God is treason against the Master of the Multiverse. He will not forgive these on Judgement Day.

:biglaugh:

"Master of the Multiverse!" Coming soon, to theaters everywhere... rated R. :rolleyes:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
:biglaugh:

"Master of the Multiverse!" Coming soon, to theaters everywhere... rated R. :rolleyes:

Indeed!

I've read somewhere that He is a jealous God....AND possesses the power of creation!

Might be difficult to deal with if He suspects you prefer another Lord.

sojourner

Indeed!

I've read somewhere that He is a jealous God....AND possesses the power of creation!

Might be difficult to deal with if He suspects you prefer another Lord.
I suspect God is much larger than our limited perspectives imagine. I suspect God has many faces and accepts fealty in many forms.

ScuzManiac

Because doing so devalues human life and objectifies individuals.

But you just said it makes us no worse than them?

Using that reasoning it would save tax dollars executing any prisoner.

Not everyone in prison is in there for life so no, that's not a good comparison.

Prison is typically for anyone that is sentenced over 1 year.

Should we just execute people that got tax evasion charges? Fraud? Theft?

No.

Should we just execute murderers, child molesters, rapists?

Yes. They serve no purpose to society once they've done this.

We need to leave religion out of court room.

:yes:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Should we just execute murderers, child molesters, rapists?

Yes. They serve no purpose to society once they've done this.

We need to leave religion out of court room.

:yes:

You don't think people should be allowed a chance to redeem themselves?

Existence seems too precious to me for me to judge who is worthy of it. Of course we've a right to protect our own existence. I just can't condone killing someone else in the sense of justice. I don't need that kind of justice.

Or killing someone else because their existence is an inconvenience.

ScuzManiac

Nope. That wasn't me.

Ah okay.

You responded to me within that conversation so I assumed it was.

Honest mistake.

You don't think people should be allowed a chance to redeem themselves?

Existence seems too precious to me for me to judge who is worthy of it. Of course we've a right to protect our own existence. I just can't condone killing someone else in the sense of justice. I don't need that kind of justice.

Or killing someone else because their existence is an inconvenience.

A chance to redeem themselves for what?

Killing someone? Raping someone? Molesting a child? No.

Your only chance should be not to do it in the first place.

And if we didn't kill people that did these things...

What are the odds crime would increase?

Most people fear death and if we don't instill that fear into them in the name of not killing, raping, molesting, etc then what consequences do they face?

A lifetime of 3 meals a day, television, playing cards, good conversation, etc?

I disagree.