• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If God forgave everyone, there wouldn't be any justice

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
If killing a murderer makes us no worse than they are...

Why not do it?

Sounds a lot better than tax dollars paying to feed and house them.

Some prisoners have it better than civilians.
Because doing so devalues human life and objectifies individuals.

Last edited:

roger1440

I do stuff
"The LORD said to Satan, "Where have you come from?" Satan answered the LORD, "From roaming throughout the earth, going back and forth on it."" (Job1:7)

roger1440

I do stuff
If killing a murderer makes us no worse than they are...

Why not do it?

Sounds a lot better than tax dollars paying to feed and house them.

Some prisoners have it better than civilians.

Using that reasoning it would save tax dollars executing any prisoner.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It's not murder. Remember: "murder" is a legal term that has a rather narrow application. Capital punishment is legal, where provided for, so it's not murder. It is the taking of human life. But it's not murder.

Dearest, do you think that Christ would approve capital punishment?
that's your problem: you tend to separate the public sphere from the private one. You think that God doesn't see you when you desire to execute a human being?
There is already a justice: the justice of the afterlife.

Freewill is sacred. Not even God has the capability to kill a person, because God cannot violate freewill. So we are supposed not to violate freewill either

sojourner

Dearest, do you think that Christ would approve capital punishment?
that's your problem: you tend to separate the public sphere from the private one. You think that God doesn't see you when you desire to execute a human being?
There is already a justice: the justice of the afterlife.

Freewill is sacred. Not even God has the capability to kill a person, because God cannot violate freewill. So we are supposed not to violate freewill either
No, I don't think Jesus approves of capital punishment. I'm merely saying that murder is a legal term, and that capital punishment doesn't qualify as murder. If you read back, you'll note that I did say that capital punishment is the taking of human life.

Your problem seems to be two-fold:
1) You don't know what I think
2) You seem unable to separate legality from morality.

I don't, in fact, separate the public sphere from the private. I think God does see, and I don't think God approves. However, murder is a legal term -- not a moral term.

Life =/= free will. The terms are not interchangeable. If we live, we live in the Lord; if we die, we die in the Lord. Whether we live or die, therefore, we are the Lord's. God isn't a being external to life; God is Being, itself. We can "be" alive. We can "be" dead -- and it's all initiated and carried out by God. We have no will of our own to circumvent death -- or to create life.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
2) You seem unable to separate legality from morality.

I don't, in fact, separate the public sphere from the private. I think God does see, and I don't think God approves. However, murder is a legal term -- not a moral term.

you said it right: I do not separate legality from morality, because the state disapproves all that is against morality. That's why people are not allowed to have sex in the streets
It is against morality the concept an Eye for an Eye. Because it's like the state became as barbaric as the murderers, by killing them.

Even mafiosi think that God doesn't see them when they make their shady deals. Because they think "Business is business and God has nothing to do with that".

I suppose that God cares if a government kills murderers.

AlphaAlex115

you said it right: I do not separate legality from morality, because the state disapproves all that is against morality. That's why people are not allowed to have sex in the streets
It is against morality the concept an Eye for an Eye. Because it's like the state became as barbaric as the murderers, by killing them.

Even mafiosi think that God doesn't see them when they make their shady deals. Because they think "Business is business and God has nothing to do with that".

I suppose that God cares if a government kills murderers.

God wouldn't care because he hasn't done anything... besides governments need not be forgiven because they're selfless and do everything for the greater good.. like jesus really when he sacrificed himself for the great good.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
God wouldn't care because he hasn't done anything... besides governments need not be forgiven because they're selfless and do everything for the greater good.. like jesus really when he sacrificed himself for the great good.

In fact, for the greater good, a murderer is supposed to be in jail, so they can't hurt anyone

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
No.. putting them in jail is immoral.. the government should just kill them because they're wasting money. ..

well...most murders are related to professional criminality.
The state doesn't care about bringing social justice and preventing the spreading of criminality. If the state forced these people to get an education and then a job, there wouldn't be criminality as a social issue.
But the state doesn't care about intervening in the economy. It's just interested in collecting taxes.

sojourner

governments need not be forgiven because they're selfless and do everything for the greater good
Really?! Srrsly?!
I suppose that seeking to deport refugee children is a selfless act of "greater good?" Getting us involved in a war through false pretenses is a selfless act of "greater good?"

Geez, man!

AlphaAlex115

Really?! Srrsly?!
I suppose that seeking to deport refugee children is a selfless act of "greater good?" Getting us involved in a war through false pretenses is a selfless act of "greater good?"

Geez, man!

Because in the war you killed terrorists which is for the greater good. ..

AlphaAlex115

Is it?
Upright and innocent people were also killed. And lots of money was spent that could have been spent on charity.

But charity money gets stolen by corporations. .

Also FOR THE GREATER GOOD.. doesn't matter if some innocents are killed if you can get at the terrorists