• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If God forgave everyone, there wouldn't be any justice

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
all right, but thoughts cannot be compared to actions.
actions remain carved in history and are indelible.
thoughts don't hurt anyone

there is a huge difference between thinking of killing a person and actually doing it.
That's not what Jesus said.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Ridiculous.

A child rapist will be forgiven by repenting.

But the father of the child who is raped is unforgiven and doomed to hell because he blasphemied the holy spirit because his child got raped.

I didn't say murder was an unforgivable sin.:rolleyes:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
So sociopaths are good to then? Since there is nothing, in their mind, that they have to forgive himself for?

It is a tough thing, mental illness. Since I believe sociopaths are made and not born that way, I try to have some compassion. It is all a part of "praying for our enemies", in my faith. It would even be more difficult if the sociopath in question killed my own loved one.

The fact remains that we are human and we are not perfect. Sometimes what we are commanded to do can be very difficult.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Why just "murderers" specifically?

But to answer your question (with a question)...

Do the people that murderers kill deserve to die?

Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth.

;)

Here is a thought. Let's say someone murders someone else; he will pay the penalty of his crime. If he repents, God will and forgive him, yet he must still pay the earthly penalty for his (or her) crime.

AlphaAlex115

It is a tough thing, mental illness. Since I believe sociopaths are made and not born that way, I try to have some compassion. It is all a part of "praying for our enemies", in my faith. It would even be more difficult if the sociopath in question killed my own loved one.

The fact remains that we are human and we are not perfect. Sometimes what we are commanded to do can be very difficult.

People can most certainly be born sociopaths. But becoming one through nurture is not actually very rare. Simple things like neglect and abuse can easily make one a common all garden sociopath :/)

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
well, if the murderers are killed, they become victims.
And I don't want perpetrators to become the victims. I want them to stay perpetrators

Trust me, I've had the same kinds of thoughts. If a someone puts a murderer to death, is that murder, in itself, or is it justice? I have had the toughest time with capital punishment.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
People can most certainly be born sociopaths. But becoming one through nurture is not actually very rare. Simple things like neglect and abuse can easily make one a common all garden sociopath :/)

I used to believe that, too, that sociopaths are born that way, but I no longer believe that. It doesn't mean it isn't true, though, you could be right.

AlphaAlex115

Trust me, I've had the same kinds of thoughts. If a someone puts a murderer to death, is that murder, in itself, or is it justice? I have had the toughest time with capital punishment.

It's just simply murder. You kill someone. It's murder and it's rude.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I don't like abortion and I don't like capital punishment. Always seemed a little weird that these two ideas end up on opposite ends of the political spectrum.

sojourner

well, if the murderers are killed, they become victims.
And I don't want perpetrators to become the victims. I want them to remain perpetrators
This isn't about what YOU want; it's about what God desires. God desires the reconciliation of all humanity.

sojourner

It's just simply murder. You kill someone. It's murder and it's rude.
It's not murder. Remember: "murder" is a legal term that has a rather narrow application. Capital punishment is legal, where provided for, so it's not murder. It is the taking of human life. But it's not murder.

sojourner

How do you know what jesus said? Someone could have just made up things he's said and no one would know. ..

Anyway fantasising over killing someone does no harm. .
I think that, for purposes of this thread, when debating theological concepts, that it's safe to take the quotes of Jesus as presented in the canonical gospels as legitimate and authentic.

The concept is found in matt. 5:27-28. It is harmful, according to biblical tenet.

There's a quote out of the movie Witness which is apropos here:
A Philadelphia police officer is shot and winds up recuperating on an Amish farm. The little boy who lives in the house finds the officer's gun and picks it up. In the aftermath of that episode, the grandfather is talking to the boy and he says this: "What you take into your hands, you take into your heart."

AlphaAlex115

It's not murder. Remember: "murder" is a legal term that has a rather narrow application. Capital punishment is legal, where provided for, so it's not murder. It is the taking of human life. But it's not murder.

It's good to see you base your morals and definitions in the law.

sojourner

It's good to see you base your morals and definitions in the law.
Thanks, but, as it happens, I don't think the law is, in and of itself, moral. However, I do think definitions are vitally important, or lines begin to be blurred that ought not be blurred.