• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

if God is all love where does evil come from?

hoojah

well a simple question if God created all and is love where does Evil come from.,
why not just destroy it all and start again?

what right does he have to watch millions of children suffer?,

i can not justify that and that would be my first question when i stand before him/her with my head up no grovelling. i just need the justification from his/ her lips...

tomspug

Absorbant
Way, way, WAY back, I started a thread that was about evil being "without God". That everything that was good was of God, that when anything fell away from God or dismissed him, it became without him.

This is how we can have both good and bad sides to humanity without saying that humanity is wholly good or wholly evil.

emiliano

well a simple question if God created all and is love where does Evil come from.,
why not just destroy it all and start again?,
what right does he have to watch millions of children suffer?,
i can not justify that and that would be my first question when i stand before him/her with my head up no grovelling. i just need the justification from his/ her lips...

Evil is lack of good, so evil does not come from God that lack nothing in goodness, the evil that we see all round and about us come from us, our lack or absence of good.

crystalonyx

Where is it written that a supposed god is benevolent?

A god could just as easily be malevolent, or neutral.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Way, way, WAY back, I started a thread that was about evil being "without God". That everything that was good was of God, that when anything fell away from God or dismissed him, it became without him.

This is how we can have both good and bad sides to humanity without saying that humanity is wholly good or wholly evil.
So that means you don't believe God is everywhere?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Evil comes from the absence of God/love.

why not just destroy it all and start again?,

what right does he have to watch millions of children suffer?
Let me get this straight. You are angry at "God" for "letting millions of children suffer" and you think the solution is to destroy everything??

its easy without evil he can't show how good he realy is and if he can't show that then people would not worship him so it basicly comes down to him wanting to be worshiped

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
If there were no difference between good and evil, what good would there have been for us to have free will? We have the choice to decide between right (good) and wrong (bad) If God is love and goodness guess that doesn't leave much room to error in guessing the answer for where evil comes from......If it's not of God then it is evil..... :seesaw:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
To me, all concepts of "good" and "evil" are 100% man-made, and I would expect all gods, let alone an omnipresent God, to be above such concepts. In nature, "good" and "evil" do not exist; but simply cause and effect.

I personally think personifying God with human concepts is not only inappropriate, but idolatry. (that's just my beliefs, keep in mind; and in no way am I saying that those who do personify God are idolaters; after all, labeling is also inappropriate in my beliefs)

AK4

Isa 45:7 I formH3335 the light,H216 and createH1254 darkness:H2822 I makeH6213 peace,H7965 and createH1254 evil:H7451 IH589 the LORDH3068 doH6213 allH3605 theseH428 things.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The KJV Old Testament Hebrew Lexicon[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Strong's Number: 07451[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Browse Lexicon[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Original Word[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Word Origin[/FONT][r[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]from (07489)[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Transliterated Word[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]TDNT Entry[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Ra`[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]TWOT - 2191a,2191c[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Phonetic Spelling[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Parts of Speech[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]rah [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Definition[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]adj
  1. bad, evil
    1. bad, disagreeable, malignant
    2. bad, unpleasant, evil (giving pain, unhappiness, misery)
    3. evil, displeasing
    4. bad (of its kind - land, water, etc)
    5. bad (of value)
    6. worse than, worst (comparison)
    7. sad, unhappy
    8. evil (hurtful)
    9. bad, unkind (vicious in disposition)
    10. bad, evil, wicked (ethically)
      1. in general, of persons, of thoughts
      2. deeds, actions n m
  2. evil, distress, misery, injury, calamity
    1. evil, distress, adversity
    2. evil, injury, wrong
    3. evil (ethical) n f
  3. evil, misery, distress, injury
    1. evil, misery, distress
    2. evil, injury, wrong
    3. evil (ethical)
[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] King James Word Usage - Total: 663[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]evil 442, wickedness 59, wicked 25, mischief 21, hurt 20, bad 13, trouble 10, sore 9, affliction 6, ill 5, adversity 4, favoured 3, harm 3, naught 3, noisome 2, grievous 2, sad 2, miscellaneous 34[/FONT]

Yes, God created evil. Look at how many times this same word Ra` is used as evil throught the bible. But if you dont know why, then you will think He is contradicting and evil and is going to barbeque or annihilate most of humanity forever.

I will keep this short. God uses evil (who created satan) for the purpose of good. He is giving man an experience of evil now, so after he SAVES EVERYONE, they will appreciate good. Man has to learn this virtue, the same way we have to learn patience.

Troublemane

God encompasses all things, originates all things good/evil, embodies all things good/evil, and transcends/includes all things good/evil. Love is not exclusionary, love opens to all and unites with all, including the wicked as well as the good. :D

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I will keep this short. God uses evil (who created satan) for the purpose of good. He is giving man an experience of evil now, so after he SAVES EVERYONE, they will appreciate good. Man has to learn this virtue, the same way we have to learn patience.

But didn't Jesus(or someone) at one point say that if you use evil for an overall good that it's evil?

Heneni

Miss Independent
God did not create evil. It has no matter.

Evil is what god considers a deliberate seperation from him. Doesnt mean he goes away though. So evil is not the absence of good (god), its putting him on 'ignore'.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I have heard a lot of answers to that question:
1. God gave us free will (which doesn't work for those who don't believe in free will)
2. Evil is the lack of good (or a lack of God as ScubaPete says) just like darkness is a lack of light.
3. The idea of original sin from Adam and Eve.
and probably more but I can't think of any. :)