• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Israel Stopped Occupying The West Bank Would There Be Peace Between The Jews And Arabs?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
That's an irrelevant question, since it has no bearing whatsoever on whether evidence exists for your claims. I have no background in cognitive science, and unless you're professionally qualified in that field or are a peer-reviewed researcher in it, you don't have an authoritative background in it either.
I can make a strong case that I'm professionally qualified, but I also value anonymity. But you can ask sayak83, who can support my claim.

You seem to be assuming that you would be "educating" me. If what you have said in this thread so far is indicative of your views on the subject, I don't think you would be even remotely doing any education; you would merely be sharing extremely biased opinions and overgeneralizations.
Wait what? My understanding of the mechanisms of propaganda is biased? How on earth would that work? Propaganda is widely used across many domains.

Let me ask you this, do you believe that propaganda is immensely powerful?

And I did respond to your claims about the Qur'an. I'm finding that trying to discuss almost anything related to Muslims and Islam with you tends to go similarly most of the time: it keeps going in fruitless circles and gets bogged down in unsubstantiated arguments (e.g., bringing up the whole thing about praying five times a day as if it were something sinister that religious people pray as their religion instructs them to) that are mere opinions in a quasi-intellectual wrapping, like the invocation of cognitive science while stating an array of personal opinions (much of which are not properly substantiated, like asserting that "Islamists" make up a third of all Muslims).

I agree we've been over this ground before. But my arguments are well substantiated, you just don't like their implications, so you resort to various bad arguments to respond.

The mechanisms of propaganda are well known and widely used, they are not limited to the domain of academics.

As for Islamists being 1/3 of Muslims, I've provided my definition, do you agree with it, or do you want to provide a different defintion, perhaps this is simply a misunderstanding of semantics?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I can make a strong case that I'm professionally qualified, but I also value anonymity. But you can ask sayak83, who can support my claim.

I don't care much either way: what you have presented here mostly seems to me to consist of personal opinions, so what I've said stands.

Wait what? My understanding of the mechanisms of propaganda is biased?

I was clearly talking about your assertions about Muslims and Islam, which I think are overgeneralized and unnuanced.

How on earth would that work? Propaganda is widely used across many domains.

Let me ask you this, do you believe that propaganda is immensely powerful?

It is indeed a powerful tool. For instance, anti-Muslim propaganda has been a highly powerful tool accompanying warmongering against Muslim nations for decades.

I agree we've been over this ground before. But my arguments are well substantiated, you just don't like their implications, so you resort to various bad arguments to respond.

The mechanisms of propaganda are well known and widely used, they are not limited to the domain of academics.

The way you're asserting that the Qur'an is somehow different from various world religions is one of the main things I think are unsubstantiated in your arguments. One would expect Muslims to be abnormally violent if the Qur'an were abnormally effective at encouraging violence, but it is a fact that the vast majority of Muslims are no more violent than the vast majority of other humans.

As for Islamists being 1/3 of Muslims, I've provided my definition, do you agree with it, or do you want to provide a different defintion, perhaps this is simply a misunderstanding of semantics?

What definition? "Wanting to spread Shari'a"? That by itself is quite vague, since Shari'a consists of all Islamic law from inheritance and warfare laws all the way to the rules of making ablution and praying. By that definition, a Sufi preaching Islamic mysticism to non-Muslims would be trying to "spread Shari'a."

If the definition is limited to trying to spread or implement political Islam—that is, trying to implement Islam into state law—then the claim that a third of all Muslims fit within that definition is extremely hard to substantiate, especially for Muslims in non-Muslim countries. Many Muslims don't even agree on how, if at all, Islam would or should be implemented into the law of the land, which makes the entire question even murkier.

icehorse

Premium Member
I was clearly talking about your assertions about Muslims and Islam, which I think are overgeneralized and unnuanced.

You've already agreed that most Muslims revere and are frequently exposed to the Quran, correct? It's those Muslims that I'm talking about.

And it wouldn't matter what the message was. That level of repeated exposure to a small set of ideas over time largely constitutes propaganda.

I don't care much either way: what you have presented here mostly seems to me to consist of personal opinions, so what I've said stands.
It seems you're doubling down on your ignorance here, am I missing something?

It is indeed a powerful tool. For instance, anti-Muslim propaganda has been a highly powerful tool accompanying warmongering against Muslim nations for decades.
Sure, there has been a lot of unfair anti-Islamic propaganda. But I think my concerns are more well considered and nuanced than that.

The way you're asserting that the Qur'an is somehow different from various world religions is one of the main things I think are unsubstantiated in your arguments. One would expect Muslims to be abnormally violent if the Qur'an were abnormally effective at encouraging violence, but it is a fact that the vast majority of Muslims are no more violent than the vast majority of other humans.

Again, with jazz hands, we must make a distinction between terrorists and Islamists. I don't think Islamists are abnormally violent, but I also think they should not be allowed many rights to immigrate, as their beliefs run counter to secular society.

What definition? "Wanting to spread Shari'a"? That by itself is quite vague, since Shari'a consists of all Islamic law from inheritance and warfare laws all the way to the rules of making ablution and praying. By that definition, a Sufi preaching Islamic mysticism to non-Muslims would be trying to "spread Shari'a."

Ok, what's your definition? I'll refine mine a bit: Sharia means Islamic law, and hundreds of millions of Muslims around the world want to live where Sharia - to varying extents - is the law of the land. One implication of that is that holy men would sometimes or always act as judges in legal matters.

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
Ok, what's your definition? I'll refine mine a bit: Sharia means Islamic law, and hundreds of millions of Muslims around the world want to live where Sharia - to varying extents - is the law of the land. One implication of that is that holy men would sometimes or always act as judges in legal matters.
There is a reason why people who are oppressed seek help from G-d..
I mean, who else should they seek help from do you think??

icehorse

Premium Member
There is a reason why people who are oppressed seek help from G-d..
I mean, who else should they seek help from do you think??
Well I don't believe in god, so you probably won't like my answer, but here goes:

Holy men are using ideas created by other men. Whether or not it's intentional, anyone who tells you they know the word of god is wrong.

So I think people who are oppressed should seek out people who do not rely on supernatural explanations. Most people share a common set of core values and morals, and those are what we should be using. For example, healthy people all agree that murder and violence are wrong. It's also the case that knowledge and education usually lift people out of oppression. So the person who has read 100 books is more likely to succeed in the world than a person who has been exposed to only one book (e.g. the Quran).

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
You've already agreed that most Muslims revere and are frequently exposed to the Quran, correct? It's those Muslims that I'm talking about.

"Those Muslims" as in... the ones who revere their holy book and are "frequently exposed" to it? Just how much more unremarkable could this get? You seem intent on making it sound like merely being an observant Muslim is some sort of indictment.

And it wouldn't matter what the message was. That level of repeated exposure to a small set of ideas over time largely constitutes propaganda.

Then that applies to almost literally all recurrent ideas in life. Campaigns to raise awareness using factual information about a virus or disease? Propaganda. Billboard ads about the importance of seat belts? Propaganda. Some pacifist Buddhists practicing meditation and being "frequently exposed to" ideas about nonviolence? Propaganda.

Given the threshold your own arguments set forth, I think it could easily be said by that logic that almost everyone is engulfed in propaganda, which again means that Muslims are neither unique nor more susceptible to it than other groups.

It seems you're doubling down on your ignorance here, am I missing something?

Yes, you are. You're missing that since you have so far only been posting speculation and pet theories about Muslims, whatever qualification you have or think you have is beside the point. You would still need to back up your assertions with reliable evidence for them to hold water.

Sure, there has been a lot of unfair anti-Islamic propaganda. But I think my concerns are more well considered and nuanced than that.

I haven't seen much nuance here, especially when overgeneralizing about the vast majority of Muslims as in the part I responded to at the beginning of this post.

Again, with jazz hands, we must make a distinction between terrorists and Islamists. I don't think Islamists are abnormally violent, but I also think they should not be allowed many rights to immigrate, as their beliefs run counter to secular society.

... and then your definition of "Islamism" is apparently so broad as to include most Muslims. The result if such a thought-policing idea were ever implemented (which I thankfully doubt it would be in any remotely free country)? Most Muslims would be banned from immigration.

Ok, what's your definition?

Islamism is a set of ideologies and movements that subscribe to the belief that Islamic law should influence political systems, including state law. It is unequivocally and diametrically opposed to the separation of religion and state.

I'll refine mine a bit: Sharia means Islamic law, and hundreds of millions of Muslims around the world want to live where Sharia - to varying extents - is the law of the land. One implication of that is that holy men would sometimes or always act as judges in legal matters.

First, you have provided no evidence that "hundreds of millions of Muslims" want that. Certainly, there are millions of Muslims who do, but that hundreds of millions do is a far bigger claim and, proportionally, also far more difficult to back up.

Second, if Muslims want to apply Shari'a only to themselves rather than non-Muslims or ex-Muslims, that's different from wanting to apply it to all of society or the entire law of the land.

Third, millions of Christians who already live in secular countries want to make their religion the law of the land, as is the case with the Christian dominionists who want to undermine the separation of religion and state. Should those also be banned from immigrating to any secular country? Unlike the vast majority of Muslims living in the West, they're actually making tangible, large-scale attempts to impose their beliefs on modern-day Western democracies, like the US. Should secular countries screen the beliefs of immigrants from the US to make sure they pose no threat to secularism?

In any case, I have already posted most of what I wanted to say in this thread, so I doubt there will be a point in responding here further, since I would most likely just be repeating my points.

icehorse

Premium Member
"Those Muslims" as in... the ones who revere their holy book and are "frequently exposed" to it? Just how much more unremarkable could this get? You seem intent on making it sound like merely being an observant Muslim is some sort of indictment.

I'm bending over backwards to keep this conversation civil, but you seem intent on misquoting me, hmmm.

My guess is that many people reading this thread could do a decent job of steelmanning my position, but that you would avoid doing so.

But I would say that if you're confident, you should have no worries about steelmanning my arguments. Wanna give it a try?

Then that applies to almost literally all recurrent ideas in life. Campaigns to raise awareness using factual information about a virus or disease? Propaganda. Billboard ads about the importance of seat belts? Propaganda. Some pacifist Buddhists practicing meditation and being "frequently exposed to" ideas about nonviolence? Propaganda.

Given the threshold your own arguments set forth, I think it could easily be said by that logic that almost everyone is engulfed in propaganda, which again means that Muslims are neither unique nor more susceptible to it than other groups.

Hey! Some semblance of actual communication, hooray! Yes, we are all awash in propaganda. And agreed, Muslims are no more susceptible than others to the effects of propaganda.

But the difference is what messages are being pushed. Selling soap is less worrisome than teaching Muslims kids that they should distrust 3/4 of the people on the planet as a default.

... and then your definition of "Islamism" is apparently so broad as to include most Muslims. The result if such a thought-policing idea were ever implemented (which I thankfully doubt it would be in any remotely free country)? Most Muslims would be banned from immigration.

As i understand it, many Muslims have no desire to live in a theocracy.

And indeed, my stance is that ANY immigration candidate who wants to undermine the constitution should be denied entry.

slamism is a set of ideologies and movements that subscribe to the belief that Islamic law should influence political systems, including state law. It is unequivocally and diametrically opposed to the separation of religion and state.
We're largely agreed on this definition.

First, you have provided no evidence that "hundreds of millions of Muslims" want that. Certainly, there are millions of Muslims who do, but that hundreds of millions do is a far bigger claim and, proportionally, also far more difficult to back up.

Second, if Muslims want to apply Shari'a only to themselves rather than non-Muslims or ex-Muslims, that's different from wanting to apply it to all of society or the entire law of the land.

I've posted to that Pew poll many times, and other polls are easy to find.

As for your second point, do you really think it's workable or advisable to have a society in which there are a different set of laws for different people?

Third, millions of Christians who already live in secular countries want to make their religion the law of the land, as is the case with the Christian dominionists who want to undermine the separation of religion and state. Should those also be banned from immigrating to any secular country? Unlike the vast majority of Muslims living in the West, they're actually making tangible, large-scale attempts to impose their beliefs on modern-day Western democracies, like the US. Should secular countries screen the beliefs of immigrants from the US to make sure they pose no threat to secularism?

Yes, as I said, ANYONE who wants to undermine secularism should be shunned - Catholics included.

Balthazzar

N. Germanic Descent
It's smaller than some counties. But they do have a lot of high-tech industries. I was reading the other day that the US and Israel are working on new drone technologies. (Of course, I guess everybody is doing that these days, but Israel has been on the cutting edge of a lot of technologies useful to the U.S.)

I want a drone with IR capabilities. Expensive they are. The regular aerial photography ones aren't so bad, though.

I read that China developed drone dogs with 360 IR scanning capabilities and able to fire ammo. I'm not sure the range, but what an asset they would be.

Geesh!

MayPeaceBeUpOnYou

Not at all. If you want Sharia, go to a Muslim theocracy.
Well you didn’t condemn the west opposing secular or liberal values to other countries,
Here is your chance ?
I think you should respect the culture of the country that's hosting you and let Sharia go. Stop desiring it.
Who said I didn’t respect the culture?

And there that’s your problem, you are assuming things because you oppose shariah. Misrepresenting me doesn’t help your cause, it only shows the ignorance on your parts.

And there is a big difference between desires and acting up on your desires. Or are you saying it’s the same?

Ponder This

I don’t see any tactical advantage of occupying said territory. The West Bank is only a measly 20% of Israel.

But then again, aren’t Arabs occupying territories in Israel outside of the West Bank?
View attachment 98352
If Israel Stopped Occupying The West Bank Would There Be Peace Between The Jews And Arabs?
Israel is not at war with Egypt, Jordan, or Saudi Arabia. Those countries currently exist in a state of peace relative to Israel. More properly your question concerns Lebanon, Israel, the West Bank, Gaza, and the Golan Heights. But to answer this question... I think the answer is no, it would not bring about peace for a few reasons:
  1. The internal Israeli desire to annex the West Bank is an incentive for conflict with the West Bank.
  2. A withdrawal of settlements does not mean a withdrawal of military control nor a recognition of Palestine as sovereign state.
  3. The displaced people of unrecognized Palestine would still have unresolved grievances concerning territory within recognized Israel, which is an incentive for conflict.

A requirement for peace is the orderly resolution of conflicts. An orderly resolution is not currently possible.
  1. There is no recognition of the governing authorities by the parties engaged in conflict.
  2. There is no substantive interest in negotiation on the part of the parties engaged in conflict.
  3. And there is a lack of trust that any agreement reached will be faithfully observed by both sides.
Hypothetically, if Israel withdrew settlements from the West Bank, it may seem like that would be enough to bring about peace. But the reality is that that's not enough to achieve an orderly resolution of conflicts. Israel still would have military control over the West Bank. Israel still would not recognize the existence of the state of Palestine. Israel still would have motivation to engage in future conflict. Israel still would have no substantive interest in negotiation. And there still would be a lack of trust that any agreement reached would be faithfully observed.

Thus, the only "peace" currently obtainable is a temporary ceasefire during which time both sides will secretly plot to poke the other's eye out.

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
Israel is not at war with Egypt, Jordan, or Saudi Arabia. Those countries currently exist in a state of peace relative to Israel. More properly your question concerns Lebanon, Israel, the West Bank, Gaza, and the Golan Heights. But to answer this question... I think the answer is no, it would not bring about peace for a few reasons:
  1. The internal Israeli desire to annex the West Bank is an incentive for conflict with the West Bank.
  2. A withdrawal of settlements does not mean a withdrawal of military control nor a recognition of Palestine as sovereign state.
  3. The displaced people of unrecognized Palestine would still have unresolved grievances concerning territory within recognized Israel, which is an incentive for conflict.

A requirement for peace is the orderly resolution of conflicts. An orderly resolution is not currently possible.
  1. There is no recognition of the governing authorities by the parties engaged in conflict.
  2. There is no substantive interest in negotiation on the part of the parties engaged in conflict.
  3. And there is a lack of trust that any agreement reached will be faithfully observed by both sides.
Hypothetically, if Israel withdrew settlements from the West Bank, it may seem like that would be enough to bring about peace. But the reality is that that's not enough to achieve an orderly resolution of conflicts. Israel still would have military control over the West Bank. Israel still would not recognize the existence of the state of Palestine. Israel still would have motivation to engage in future conflict. Israel still would have no substantive interest in negotiation. And there still would be a lack of trust that any agreement reached would be faithfully observed.

Thus, the only "peace" currently obtainable is a temporary ceasefire during which time both sides will secretly plot to poke the other's eye out.
Sounds like the end game is either no Israel or no Palestine. I’ll hold out hope that they will live in peace next to one another.

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
1. is obvious .. countries don't go to war if the govts. and peoples respect each other

2. is patently false .. why would Palestinians take hostages, if not to negotiate with Israel
for the many thousands of political prisoners that Israel holds .. and we all know about
"terrorism" laws that allow the occupied inhabitants to be held without charge

3. Of course there is no trust between the parties .. Israel uses heavy military aggression,
killing women and children on a large scale. They justify this with "human shield" excuses,
which most intelligent people in the world can see is not valid. They are responsible for
human life in regions that they occupy, and massive bombings in regions they occupy can
NEVER be justified.

If the international community is continually blocked from apprehending perpetrators of
serious violations of human rights, enmity between nations will escalate until we ALL hate each other,
and the whole world will be at war.

Some people clearly do not want peace .. they actually think that armageddon (world war) is
a good thing. :rolleyes:

icehorse

Premium Member
..maybe you think you have no need of such help .. maybe you are not poor and oppressed.
I'm not poor now, but i've been poor. I think that what helps people the most is good education, and a feeling of personal safety, so they can help themselves. Do your religion's holy men help provide good educations to the people?

icehorse

Premium Member
No suprise there since you lack evidence of your claims

Cheers
Sorry, I'm meant to say I'm not talking ABOUT you, my bad!

Of course I'm happy to talk WITH you!

What I meant to say was that when I speak of Islamists, I'm not making personal attacks, I'm making large statistical claims.