• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Jesus Died...

flowerpower

1 John 2:2

For all of Man's sins, aren't we all then redeemed?
The payment made in full. Nothing else is being asked of us.

To say God asks anything else from us, isn't this denying the payment Jesus already made?

On face value, I guess so - that's the only logical way to understand the passage if it's meant to be taken literally.

Might be the reason why people in the Renaissance (after the commoners first got their hands on their very own Bibles after Guttenberg invented the printing press) started acting completely crazy and engaging in all kinds of transgressive behaviour - "we're already redeemed anyway - so I guess just do whatever makes you feel good".

I think maybe a deeper interpretation could be that Jesus is God and God is inseparable from humanity and all the suffering that Jesus went through was meant to be some kind of metaphor for the ultimate form of martyrdom and turning the other cheek or whatever. That's why Jesus gets worshipped as the "son of god" - people look at life as a form of inherent suffering and turn to Jesus (essentially just another idol) for inspiration to accept their suffering as an inescapable part of the human experience. Some people really need that, especially in times of extreme suffering or desperation or whatever - no atheists in foxholes type of deal.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

If Jesus Died...

On face value, I guess so - that's the only logical way to understand the passage if it's meant to be taken literally.

Might be the reason why people in the Renaissance (after the commoners first got their hands on their very own Bibles after Guttenberg invented the printing press) started acting completely crazy and engaging in all kinds of transgressive behaviour - "we're already redeemed anyway - so I guess just do whatever makes you feel good".

I think maybe a deeper interpretation could be that Jesus is God and God is inseparable from humanity and all the suffering that Jesus went through was meant to be some kind of metaphor for the ultimate form of martyrdom and turning the other cheek or whatever. That's why Jesus gets worshipped as the "son of god" - people look at life as a form of inherent suffering and turn to Jesus (essentially just another idol) for inspiration to accept their suffering as an inescapable part of the human experience. Some people really need that, especially in times of extreme suffering or desperation or whatever - no atheists in foxholes type of deal.
Jesus gets worshipped as the "son of god"
Even as per the NT Bible Jesus was not literally or materially and or physically "Son of G-d", Jesus himself explained it in John 8 :

39 They (the Jews) answered him, “Abraham is our father.” Jesus said to them, “If you were Abraham’s children, you would do what Abraham did,
44 You (the Jews) are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him.
Right?

Regards