• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Jesus was a sacrifice...

Yes

Oh how I love the Word of God!
And to that he replies:

"Go and learn what this means: I desire mercy, not sacrifice."
Jesus was quoting Hosea 6.

The Jews had to sacrifice animals to atone for their souls. They were rejecting Jesus, the final and true sacrifice.
We find mercy and forgiveness through Jesus. We find mercy when we come to God through Jesus in repentance.

Yes

For sure, we know that Jesus was sacrificed for the greater good of Israel, the Roman empire, and for mankind as a whole. But the extent to which he was willing to be sacrificed is most likely to be less than a hundred percent. As we must remind ourselves that in the Garden of Gethsemane he prayed and asked God if there might be a way to circumvent the cross:-

Matthew 26:39 - And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

Luke 22:42 - saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.

So at least we know that even Jesus wavered, and vacillated in regards to his mission as the anointed one.

With human frailty, Jesus wasn't entirely committed to his role as Messiah to the Jewish people, nor Mankind as a whole; and he showed signs of weakness, which suggested he didn't want to be sacrificed.
Nonsense. Jesus came to do God's will, and that is what he did. Jesus is God come as a Man. You are trying to hold it against God for being as a Man.

Yes

What a clever question.
To his own Self I guess, as that is all there is. The inner part is pure, but if he has been without then he is not pure on the outside. This had to die again to release the pure part. This enables him to return to the real Temple, the Source of everything.
What do you mean by saying, "The inner part is pure, but if he has been without..."?

Jesus was holy inside and outside.

Faybull

Jesus was quoting Hosea 6.

The Jews had to sacrifice animals to atone for their souls. They were rejecting Jesus, the final and true sacrifice.
We find mercy and forgiveness through Jesus. We find mercy when we come to God through Jesus in repentance.

Exactly, go and learn what this means....

Sacrifice him?

Yes

Exactly, go and learn what this means....

Sacrifice him?
ALL the OLD SACRIFICE LAWS were about JESUS.
They were a teaching tool.
They were a shadow of what was coming, Jesus Christ.
God made the plan for salvation to be through Jesus, even before the world was created.

Sonofason

so god is no longer god?

Consider the verses:
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
(John 1:1)

What if in the beginning the Word was God (past tense)?
And this Word of God that was God was there in the beginning with God.
"The same was in the beginning with God."
(John 1:2)

And that all things were made by him, and that without him was not anything made that was made?
"All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made."
(John 1:3)

But because of our sin and need of redemption, God made His Word a little lower than the angels and crowned him with glory and honor and did set him over the works of his hands?
"Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands:"
(Hebrews 2:7)
Because God so loved the world.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
(John 3:16)
What if Jesus is that lowered state of God's Word that was God, but is God no longer, who came down to earth to be a man without sin in order to pay the price for the sins of the whole world?

It is indeed a high price to pay if Jesus had given up His Godhood for us. Yeah though he might be risen, his is not a God, but the perfect example for us.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Consider the verses:
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
(John 1:1)

What if in the beginning the Word was God (past tense)?
And this Word of God that was God was there in the beginning with God.
"The same was in the beginning with God."
(John 1:2)

And that all things were made by him, and that without him was not anything made that was made?
"All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made."
(John 1:3)

But because of our sin and need of redemption, God made His Word a little lower than the angels and crowned him with glory and honor and did set him over the works of his hands?
"Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands:"
(Hebrews 2:7)
Because God so loved the world.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
(John 3:16)
What if Jesus is that lowered state of God's Word that was God, but is God no longer, who came down to earth to be a man without sin in order to pay the price for the sins of the whole world?

It is indeed a high price to pay if Jesus had given up His Godhood for us. Yeah though he might be risen, his is not a God, but the perfect example for us.
Now I am confused.
If god gave up his godhood when jesus was killed, how is god still god?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Apparently you don't have any children
Actually I do.
not that the fact has any bearing on the discussion.
I mean, it is not as though three days after dying my children will be back.

So like I said, it is not much of a "sacrifice"

Kolibri

esus the former Word of God

when would have Jesus gave up his role as God's chief spokesman? who is/was the new Word?

(Jesus gave up his right to perfect human life, not his right to live as a spirit - something he still had since the beginning of creation. But I venture that Mestemia is asking questions regarding the logic holes in believing Jesus was "The God" specifically.)

McBell

Admiral Obvious
when would have Jesus gave up his role as God's chief spokesman? who is/was the new Word?

(Jesus gave up his right to perfect human life, not his right to live as a spirit - something he still had since the beginning of creation. But I venture that Mestemia is asking questions regarding the logic holes in believing Jesus was "The God" specifically.)
Actually, I fail to see any "sacrifice" in the whole thing.

Sonofason

Actually I do.
not that the fact has any bearing on the discussion.
I mean, it is not as though three days after dying my children will be back.

So like I said, it is not much of a "sacrifice"
Is Jesus back to being the Word of God that was God in the beginning. Or is he ever to be a resurrected human being.