• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If the Theory of Evolution is true what does it prove?

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
What's interesting about Creationism is that it has an entirely different motive from science, but chooses to pretend as though it doesn't. The purpose of science is to come up with descriptive models of the world of observation that are useful for explaining and especially predicting phenomena. The purpose of Creationism is to crowd out information that in any way competes with one particular story - a story that only incidentally served the purpose of functioning as a descriptive model in the first place, and that was based on very limited information used for completely different purposes than science.

What Creationists want to do is pretend they are using the tools of the scientific method to bolster a story that has almost nothing to do with scientific inquiry. They are fundamentally dishonest and they give their religion a bad name. The irony of course, is that they think they are somehow doing the work of "God" when in fact all they are doing is trying to find a way to reinforce the protective shell around their damaged or fragile egos.

An emotionally maturing human being cannot stomach this sort of dishonesty. The result is that the Creationists blaspheme their God, defame their religion and themselves, and end up feeling more isolated and besieged when they started.

These are the predictable consequences of being dishonest.

Having said that, "Bible_Student" is correct about one thing . . . the scientific method (not just the Theory of Evolution) has massive implications for his particular type of dogmatic religious belief.

Last edited:

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
doppelgänger;2476088 said:
What Creationists want to do is pretend they are using the tools of the scientific method to bolster a story that has almost nothing to do with scientific inquiry.
The rest of your post is spot on, but the above brings up an interesting question. Why do creationists try and pretend that their creation story is scientifically supported and that they're following the scientific method to arrive at their conclusions? Why do they mimic scientific papers and journals? Why do they give their institutions scientific-sounding names?

IMO, all that is a tacit admission that science is superior to religious faith and revelation. They recognize that in today's society, simply saying "Young-earth creationism is true because God said so in the Bible" and leaving it at that isn't going to get them very far. They realize that the primary means of determining reality in our society is science, so they attempt to glom on to the credibility science has earned and attach it to their mythology.

To me, that's a pretty big shift in a historical sense. Now even the hard-core religious folks understand and appreciate the power of science and the relative weakness of religious faith. Barring something unusual and dramatic, this trend should continue and eventually humanity may enter into a whole new age.

zorrro

somebody told me that given today's scientic discoveries of DNA knowledge, evolution could not be a plausible theory. The current modern, respected, and recognized scientific knowledge generated on the existence of DNA has now shown the impossibility of the theory of evolution. With DNA it is impossible for the cellular mutations that are required for evolution to work.

Skwim

Veteran Member
somebody told me that given today's scientic discoveries of DNA knowledge, evolution could not be a plausible theory. The current modern, respected, and recognized scientific knowledge generated on the existence of DNA has now shown the impossibility of the theory of evolution. With DNA it is impossible for the cellular mutations that are required for evolution to work.
ist2_3120732_taking_the_bait1.jpeg

NO THANKS!

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Who told you that?

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

:biglaugh:.....Whoever told you that was an *idiot* with no real understanding of biology and what the ToE says......

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Gosh, somebody lied their pants off to you. ;)

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

I hope you weren't dumb enough to put any stock in their ignorant ramblings.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Somebody lied.

The_Evelyonian

Old-School Member

---​
:biglaugh:.....Whoever told you that was an *idiot* with no real understanding of biology and what the ToE says......

Gosh, somebody lied their pants off to you. ;)

I hope you weren't dumb enough to put any stock in their ignorant ramblings.

Somebody lied.

What they said...

Biblestudent_007

• doppelgänger;2476088 said:
    Having said that, "Bible_Student" is correct about one thing . . . the scientific method (not just the Theory of Evolution) has massive implications for his particular type of dogmatic religious belief.
To me, the scientific method is not that big of a deal. There are 2 scriptures that have something to say about this:

1) Romans 1:20
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

2) Colossians 1.16
For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him.

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
To me, the scientific method is not that big of a deal. There are 2 scriptures that have something to say about this:

1) Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

2) Colossians 1.16
For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him.

religious script,, does not make it so.