• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If the Theory of Evolution is true what does it prove?

camanintx

To me, the scientific method is not that big of a deal. There are 2 scriptures that have something to say about this:

1) Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

2) Colossians 1.16
For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him.
Since quantum theory suggests that physical matter can come into existence without a creator, doesn't your scripture appear to conflict with current scientific knowledge?

gnostic

The Lost One
biblestudent_007 said:
I can take a course in biology and improve my understanding of ToE, but in the end I think I'll stick to what scriptures say.

Ignoring Evolution for a moment, your Bible doesn't even teach you anything about basic human anatomy. So how can you stick to the bible if it doesn't teach you the fundamentals of biology?

The bible can't teach you a lot of other things in science, like mathematics, physics, chemistry, geology or earth science, meteorology.

Even in astronomy it get it wrong. From what it say in Genesis 1, you have light and darkness, morning and night, without having Sun as the source of light, until DAY 4. It is not only unscientific, it is illogical.

However, as a (creation) myth or a book of theology, it is fine. The bible (as well as other scriptures) doesn't need to be a science book. As long as you can distinguish religion and science, as 2 separate knowledge, then you won't get any argument from me.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
By training yourself to learn the difference between truth and falsehood.
Again, what makes you think that you are in a position to know the difference? From what I can see, you are no more qualified than anyone else to know the difference. Everyone who pursues a religious faith claims to know the truth. How do you know that you are any different from those who are merely self-deluded?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
:biglaugh:
I suspect that this is nothing more than some sort of code for "ratification".
Especially given the fact that you flat out stated you will ignore truth and facts in favor of your beliefs.

Gunfingers

Happiness Incarnate
So. BibleStudent_007. If I can sum up your point of view as I understand it. You deny evolution because you feel it conflicts with the bible. You believe the bible over observable evidence because you feel you have trained yourself to see "truth" in things, and have seen that the bible has a basis in truth through that skill. Am I following you so far?

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
***Mod post***

Please refrain from personally attacking other members. Criticize ideas and opinions, not the person holding them.​

Biblestudent_007

So. BibleStudent_007. If I can sum up your point of view as I understand it. You deny evolution because you feel it conflicts with the bible. You believe the bible over observable evidence because you feel you have trained yourself to see "truth" in things, and have seen that the bible has a basis in truth through that skill. Am I following you so far?

I don't "deny" evolution, I just gradually haven't come to accept ToE yet.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
That will most definitely be wrong some portion of the time. The only correct way to find out if a given belief is true is to compare that belief against reality. All other methods will yield inaccuracies.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
I don't "deny" evolution, I just gradually haven't come to accept ToE yet.
Then you really ought to read Dawkins' The Greatest Show on Earth. While it is true that he proselytizes atheism, he did keep it to a minimum in this book. His goal was simply to show why he and other scientists considered the ToE "factual", regardless of whether those scientists were religious or non-religious. He laid out the evidence in much greater detail than you will ever get in an online discussion group.