• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If there could be a God, couldn't people experience him?

waitasec

Veteran Member
Life is Spirit.
Existence is reality (as Spirit).
Trying to better oneself is Holy Spirit.
Survival, as if it is doubtful or threatened, is ego. You (as Spirit) can escape the trapping of ego illusion. Happens all the time, unless it is perceived otherwise. Ego will not allow 'me' to accept that survival is not in doubt. That life is certain.

the spirit is ego...
the spirit struggles to survive..

When I realize this (fully) ego melts into the nothingness from which it came.
which is why your ego is trying to convince me i'm wrong...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
life is ego. existence is ego. trying to better oneself is ego. survival is ego.
you cannot escape it. accept it, unless your ego won't allow you to ;)
Escaping needn't be the antithesis of accepting.

Ask yourself, are you the universe? If the answer comes back firmly, "No," that's ego talking. "I'm me, not everything."

atanu

Premium Member
are you calling me ignorant?

why must you demean?

Ha ha. I am genuinely sorry, if you really consider the ego and yourself as same. And that was the point.

I am sorry, my friend. There was no intention to demean.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
:confused:

sorry i'm so dense.
Nah, it's just ego who thinks she is. ;)

Ego is a thief and a trickster. It takes possession of things, even (especially) things that it doesn't own (like just now, when it stole a bit of confusion from the universe and claimed it for "you"). Most people are reluctant to accept the way in which they are one of those things so claimed*. Buddhism talks about attachment-this and attachment-that --"attachment" (to things) is the work of the ego, it's job per se, and some things it actually gets stuck onto, glued quite firmly in place (reference "fixating").

We are what our knowledge is. Memory has collected bits, and ego has attached itself to them, and the result is "you" (and "me").

*see "possessed"

waitasec

Veteran Member
Nah, it's just ego who thinks she is. ;)

Ego is a thief and a trickster. It takes possession of things, even (especially) things that it doesn't own (like just now, when it stole a bit of confusion from the universe and claimed it for "you"). Most people are reluctant to accept the way in which they are one of those things so claimed*. Buddhism talks about attachment-this and attachment-that --"attachment" (to things) is the work of the ego, it's job per se, and some things it actually gets stuck onto, glued quite firmly in place (reference "fixating").

We are what our knowledge is. Memory has collected bits, and ego has attached itself to them, and the result is "you" (and "me").

*see "possessed"

does buddhism talk about the attachment the body has to breathing?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
does buddhism talk about the attachment the body has to breathing?
That's a dependence, of one thing on another. We were talking about attachment and the ego --is this dependence relevant? Ego has claimed a body, a breath, and a relationship between them (dependence).

Go ego.

Last edited:

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
So soon?

body isn't what makes the person breathe...the person uses the diaphragm to keep the hearth alive.
The body will keep breathing if the brain is damaged. Quite possibly it will keep breathing even if you take the brain out entirely.

atanu

Premium Member
The body will keep breathing if the brain is damaged. Quite possibly it will keep breathing even if you take the brain out entirely.

That's right. But I was talking of the person on whose leaving all organs, including brain, fall silent -- eventually. Organs need oxygen-air to keep the hearth alive and thus keep on moving as per natural law of inertia for sometime. But often organs may die or be caused to die by yogis to mitigate pain of oxygen hunger in organs, at the time of spirit leaving the body.

The above is as per scripture and my personal observation of yogis. But that the body does not breathe on its own can be experienced by little contemplation. Body is made to breathe. The rationale behind conscious regulation of breathing in yoga practise is an application of this knowledge -- for regulating breath to regulate the mind and also cure bodily ills arisen out of disturbed psyche.

waitasec

Veteran Member
That's a dependence, of one thing on another. We were talking about attachment and the ego --is this dependence relevant? Ego has claimed a body, a breath, and a relationship between them (dependence).

Go ego.

you are so egotistical... :p ;)

Acim

Revelation all the time

I just tested this, and found out it is not the case. Fortunately, I got the brain back in there in time, so no harm.