• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If We All Became Atheists?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Actually, that's not true, either. There is a whole field of medicine based on the healer being able to surmise what's going on in the patient's mind when the patient does not know.
A therapist might be able to 'surmise' what's going on in the patient's mind that the client is not aware of but they are just guessing.
They do not really know.

If the client is not self-aware part of the therapist's job is to increase self-awareness in that client so that the client can work through his/her problems.

If the client is self-aware the client knows more about what is in their own mind than anyone else. A client who is self-aware might be seeking professional help for reasons other than having a therapist point out what is in their mind.

According to estimates, only 5% of human brain activity is conscious. The remaining 95% takes place subconsciously and not only do we have no real control over it, but we are also not even aware that it is taking place. Nov 24, 2023
AI and the subconscious mind | UOC

Since 95% of our thoughts are subconscious, the client is not even aware of very much of what is going on in their own mind.
All they can see is the outward behavior and all they can know is what the client tells them, which is what is in that client's conscious mind. It would be impossible for a therapist to know what is going on in the subconscious mind of a client when that client does not even know.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
According to estimates, only 5% of human brain activity is conscious. The remaining 95% takes place subconsciously and not only do we have no real control over it, but we are also not even aware that it is taking place. Nov 24, 2023
AI and the subconscious mind | UOC

Since 95% of our thoughts are subconscious, the client is not even aware of very much of what is going on in their own mind.
All they can see is the outward behavior and all they can know is what the client tells them, which is what is in that client's conscious mind. It would be impossible for a therapist to know what is going on in the subconscious mind of a client when that client does not even know.
We do not need to be aware of that. That is an autonomous system created by evolution about the working of the body. Breathing, heart rate, etc. Do you worry about the steering of your car all the time? Normally turn of the steering wheel will turn the car the way you want it.

Neuro-right people are worried about interference in this autonomous system, and that could certainly be a problem in the age to come.

From the linked article: "There are two ways for artificial intelligence to do this," he explained. "The first one is by collecting data about people's lives and creating a decision architecture that leads you to make a particular decision. And the other – which is currently less developed – involves using applications or devices to directly create impulses that are irresistible for our subconscious mind in order to generate impulsive responses at a subliminal level, i.e. to create impulses."

Something like forcing the car not to start when you want it to start. :)

F1fan

Veteran Member
Sorry, I don't believe that.
How is that evidence for the thing you think it is evidence for?
This illustrates the liability of your lack of education.
That is relatively young. Don't you believe humans have existed over 200000 years? :D
The data indicates that our species emerged some time between 150,000 to 200,000 years ago in Africa. Our ancestors go back many millions of years. This is what experts report. What you believe or not is completely irrelevant. We don't care if you reject science. It's your problem and disadvantage in the 21st century.

Clizby Wampuscat

We don't need to believe.
You misunderstand what a belief is. A belief is anything you are convinced is true.
So what? That course of action will produce a result that you can then use to determine the next course of action. And so on. There is no need to believe anything,
This is nonsense. Truth matters. And you have no choice in what you believe it just happens. But we have been through this many times.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Religions have very little to do with how peaceful or violent we humans are.
How would we know, given we can't rerun history? And of course religions are as pure as snow - given it is just people who cause all the problems - and never taking any notice of religious dogma or doctrines.

RestlessSoul

How would we know, given we can't rerun history? And of course religions are as pure as snow - given it is just people who cause all the problems - and never taking any notice of religious dogma or doctrines.

Killing in the name of religion generally requires men to ignore the dogma and doctrines, since love, mercy, compassion and justice are core values in most of the world’s religions.

Not sure why you only see the bad in religion, but never the good? Is that because, more generally, you see the bad in people more clearly than you see the good?

Killing in the name of religion generally requires men to ignore the dogma and doctrines, since love, mercy, compassion and justice are core values in most of the world’s religions.

Little excerpt from Exodus 22:

18 Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.

19 Whosoever lieth with a beast shall surely be put to death.

20 He that sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the Lord only, he shall be utterly destroyed.

RestlessSoul

Little excerpt from Exodus 22:

18 Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.

19 Whosoever lieth with a beast shall surely be put to death.

20 He that sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the Lord only, he shall be utterly destroyed.

Yes, we're all familiar with the dishonest practice of selecting a handful of verses out of context, in order to discredit an entire religion. It's calculated to mislead, and it's intellectually lazy.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Many religions contain messages of love, but that's not all they contain.

Religious scripture - and religion in general, to an extent - is an echo chamber. You can find an interpretation that supports any position. Since a person's God is a reflection of themselves, a cruel person will look at a religious scripture and see support for cruelty while a kind person will look at the same scripture and see support for kindness.

Not sure why you only see the bad in religion, but never the good? Is that because, more generally, you see the bad in people more clearly than you see the good?

Here's the problem: the content in religious messages falls into three categories:

1. Stuff that's clearly correct and good.
2. Stuff that isn't clearly true or isn't clearly good.
3. Stuff that's clearly incorrect or bad.

Anything in category 1 can be picked out and accepted without accepting the religion as a whole, so accepting a religion is always going to focus on the stuff that's dubious at best and clearly morally or factually wrong at worst.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
However the conflicts happen they still have happened and still occur. We know conflicts and wars will likely always happen but in my view eliminating some of the causes is better than just pointing to other causes and saying - but what about this cause?
Of course I don't only see the bad. I just think that any good they might provide could be obtained without clinging to unproven beliefs, and which necessarily tend to cause frictions, wars, and tendencies to want to expand all the time (for some), and where the origins are usually the main issue. As seen in places like the Middle East, and where the origins just cannot be questioned - because the whole belief system might depend upon this. As to prophets, places where such and such happened, and all the rest detailed in various religious texts but where usually none have the veracity we expect these days as to proper evidence. Given that there are so many of these beliefs. Besides the fact that most religions have a standing start compared with other beliefs - because they are essentially indoctrinated into children - who just don't have the capacity to know what they are being taught.

That is why I am not so enamoured with religions. And at least my parents didn't force such down my throat, even if the general education system did have a go. For which I am grateful to my parents (mother mainly), although I doubt I would have had a religious belief even having had one forced upon me.

PureX

Veteran Member
Human motives are never that one-dimensional. Your reasoning is like saying that atheists are all criminal minded because some atheists have committed crimes in the name of a godless amoral universe.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Human motives are never that one-dimensional. Your reasoning is like saying that atheists are all criminal minded because some atheists have committed crimes in the name of a godless amoral universe.
It is not. How can you simply dismiss the influences and conflicts that religions have had over the time since they originated? In the UK alone we have had enough in our history as to Protestants and Catholics killing each other, besides being involved in religious conflicts outside of the UK. And it's not so different elsewhere. The point is that if the religions hadn't existed then these conflicts would neither have existed, even if there are, and possibly always will be, other reasons for conflicts to occur. But perhaps these other conflicts are more amenable to reasonable conflict resolution - whereas the religious ones might not be.