• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If We All Became Atheists?

PureX

Veteran Member
If they are fictional they cannot be actual.
Of course they can. Everyone is a fiction in the minds of everyone else. We are even a fictional character in our own minds. An imaginative invention based loosely on a chosen set of facts.
Fictional characters or events occur only in stories, plays, or films and never actually existed or happened. It is drama featuring fictional characters. Ulverton is a fictional village on the Wessex Downs. Synonyms: imaginary, made-up, invented, legendary More Synonyms of fictional.4 days ago
FICTIONAL definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary
The dictionary is wrong, as it very often is, because it records our misunderstanding and misuse of words right along side our acuity and appropriate use of words.

George Washington was an actual person. But he is a mythical fictional character to us all, now. And was to many even in his own time.

The line you are presuming between fact and fiction is not what you think it is.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Having same building blocks doesn't mean the built things are related.
These blocks were passed down to us both (humans and dogs) by our common ancestors. Even God cannot deny that, there is no other way.
Both humans and dogs are mammals. Humans branched into Primates, dogs into carnivora. Carnivores assumed there form about 6 million years ago.
Human - Wikipedia, Carnivora - Wikipedia, Mammal - Wikipedia, Genet (animal) - Wikipedia, Slender loris - Wikipedia.
At one time we were like slender loris, dogs were like weasels and genets. Not much different.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Exactly, you had no choice when you were convinced it was true.
I had a choice to join the Baha'i Faith or not join after I was convinced it was true. I don't know whether I could have chosen not to join.
Likewise, I had a choice to get married or not after I was convinced that my late husband was the right man for me. I don't know whether I could have chosen not to get married.

Not being convinced is a different matter.
If someone is not convinced of something it would make no sense for them to believe that something. Why would they?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Of course they can. Everyone is a fiction in the minds of everyone else. We are even a fictional character in our own minds. An imaginative invention based loosely on a chosen set of facts.
How do you know what is in the minds of everyone else? How do you know what is in my mind?

I am not a fictional character in my own mind, and other people are not fictional to me if I know that they exist, even if I never met them in person.
The dictionary is wrong, as it very often is, because it records our misunderstanding and misuse of words right along side our acuity and appropriate use of words.
So all of the dictionary definitions are wrong and you are right?
George Washington was an actual person. But he is a mythical fictional character to us all, now. And was to many even in his own time.
George Washington was an actual person. He is not a mythical fictional character to me because I know that he actually existed since that is documented in history books.
The line you are presuming between fact and fiction is not what you think it is.
What is between fact and fiction?

Fact is a true happening whereas fiction is an imaginative happening. In other words, it can be said that anything that is true is a fact. On the other hand , anything that is fictitious and imaginative can be called fiction. This is the reason novels and short stories are called fiction. Jul 25, 2023

What is the difference between facts and fiction? - Quora

PureX

Veteran Member
How do you know what is in the minds of everyone else? How do you know what is in my mind?
I'm just responding to what you post. The human brain is what it is. Yours is not significantly different than anyone else's. I donlt need to read anyone's mind to know what they cannot do.
I am not a fictional character in my own mind, and other people are not fictional to me if I know that they exist, even if I never met them in person.
I recognize that you believe this.
So all of the dictionary definitions are wrong and you are right?
Many dictionary definitions are wrong, and many of them are right. So, if you have to post a dictionary definition to try and support your thinking ...
George Washington was an actual person. He is not a mythical fictional character to me because I know that he actually existed since that is documented in history books.
What is between fact and fiction?
Intent, I think. I suspect that the line between reality and fiction is conscious intent. (Facts are just bits of information that are deemed true relative to other bits of information.)

QuestioningMind

What would atheists have to obsess about, if there were no God and no religion?
Wouldn't it be wonderful to NOT have to obsess about people trying to force their religious beliefs onto you all the time? I think it would. Sadly, there are far too many religious people who insist on doing otherwise. MAYBE if they'd stop obsessing about converting and controlling me, I could find something far more pleasant to obsess about. Wouldn't it be wonderful.

Clizby Wampuscat

I had a choice to join the Baha'i Faith or not join after I was convinced it was true. I don't know whether I could have chosen not to join.
Likewise, I had a choice to get married or not after I was convinced that my late husband was the right man for me. I don't know whether I could have chosen not to get married.

Not being convinced is a different matter.
If someone is not convinced of something it would make no sense for them to believe that something. Why would they?
If you are not convinced something is true you cannot believe it.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I'm just responding to what you post. The human brain is what it is. Yours is not significantly different than anyone else's. I donlt need to read anyone's mind to know what they cannot do.
Human brains might be similar but they function differently in different people.
What is stored in someone's mind, all their knowledge and memories, is not the same as what is in someone else's mind.
It is significantly different and that is why you would need to read someone's mind to know what they can or cannot do.

Does everyone's mind work differently?

The same areas of the brain can look similar but function in radically different ways in different people. May 17, 2022
No Two Human Brains Are Alike - Nautilus Magazine

Do all brains work the same way?

Like with fingerprints, no two people have the same brain anatomy, a study by researchers of the University of Zurich has shown. This uniqueness is the result of a combination of genetic factors and individual life experiences.Jul 10, 2018
Every person has a unique brain anatomy -

Do all humans think the same way?

The fact that all humans have brains doesn't mean that they all work in the same way—thank goodness—how boring! We differ in our DNA, our upbringings, our experiences, our talents and abilities, our interests, our ways of processing information, and our intelligence of course. We are unique. Mar 2, 2023
All humans have the same brain, but why are all thinking different?
I recognize that you think you know more about what is in my mind than I know, but you don't.
Nobody knows more about what is in another person's mind that that person knows.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
Human brains might be similar but they function differently in different people.
What is stored in someone's mind, all their knowledge and memories, is not the same as what is in someone else's mind.
It is significantly different and that is why you would need to read someone's mind to know what they can or cannot do.
We know they cannot read other minds. We know they cannot see the future. We know they cannot manifest reality, but can only interpret it.
Does everyone's mind work differently?
No, they all work pretty much the same. They just have different data input into them.
I recognize that you think you know more about what is in my mind than I know, but you don't.
I have no idea what is in your mind. I only respond to what is in your posts. If what you post does not represent what you think, then that's your problem to correct. Not mine.
Nobody knows more about what is in another person's mind that that person knows.
Actually, that's not true, either. There is a whole field of medicine based on the healer being able to surmise what's going on in the patient's mind when the patient does not know.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Which gods are not made-up? Non-fictional?
You're trying to threadjack the conversation. Please don't.

I'm not talking about gods that are purported to exist in reality but don't. I'm talking about gods that are characters in works of fiction, entirely made up for those fictional works.

My point was that characters like, say, Eru Ilúvatar from Tolkien's books can be recognized as gods in the same way that, say, we can recognize Worf from Star Trek as a Klingon.

You're trying to threadjack the conversation. Please don't.

I'm not talking about gods that are purported to exist in reality but don't. I'm talking about gods that are characters in works of fiction, entirely made up for those fictional works.

My point was that characters like, say, Eru Ilúvatar from Tolkien's books can be recognized as gods in the same way that, say, we can recognize Worf from Star Trek as a Klingon.

I understood your point. I was being (unhelpfully?) cheeky.

Your phrasing struck me as one of those instances that subconsciously support the notion of some that agnostics and atheist really know that "god" exists, they just can't or won't admit it.

No intent to jack the thread. Cheers.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think poverty would become unbearable for most poor people. Society would also become more sexually corrupted and move away from traditional family unit. There would be more wars and acts of terrorism as people would be severely impatient having no hope in reward in the next world for their tribulation.