• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If We All Became Atheists?

Balthazzar

N. Germanic Descent
What would be the pros and cons?

So the Ahmadi's concept of peace is to convert everyone to Islam and unite the Islamic world.
I was wondering if this would work for atheism?
Certainly not any forced conversion. Just a movement to evolve beyond religion.
Understanding atheism doesn't deny God. Atheism only recognizes man's ignorance about God.
What atheism does deny is all messengers of God. I suppose a few people might be reluctant to let go of their favored messengers.

IMO, there'd be nothing lost which couldn't be accomplished by other means.

I'd be reluctant to let go of Newton, Einstein, Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, Copernicus, Kant, Spinoza, Jesus, Buddha, Soloman, David, Paul, among the many others who have served as messengers to and for the human race. The way I understand it, is our world has many messengers and they span the globe and belong to nearly every culture of the world, if not all and the rest of us are set to the task of learning and acquiring a greater understanding from them. Of course, we have our favorites and typically accept those we are best able to understand as individuals, per our own understanding of life and how it operates, which we typically garner from that which we are exposed to of the messengers themselves.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Sorry, but this, to me, is akin to dividing zero by zero..

Are babies born vegetarian because they don’t eat meat?
We are entitled to our own understanding of the definition

I would say yes, they are vegetarian until indoctrinated ro meat by their parents

F1fan

Veteran Member
What would atheists have to obsess about, if there were no God and no religion?
Are you asserting a God actually exists and religions are justified?

If all would become atheists, I believe humans would eventually regress to animal level.
Why would you say this? Do you atheists would start beheading theists as ISIS does? Or force women into wearing clothes that fully cover them? Or lie about science as evangelicals do?

What animal behavior do you see atheists doing?
This doesn't mean atheists are all animal level, only that it would lead to that, because atheism doesn't raise spirit to achieve greater things than what can be seen. Some would obviously think it is good, I would not like that.
Explain what "raise spirit " means, and how it is a singularly advantageous thing that only those who use it can succeed.

And how do you explain how many atheists accomplish great things, are more rational than their religious peers, and are often more compassionate than their religious peers?

Balthazzar

N. Germanic Descent
We are entitled to our own understanding of the definition

I would say yes, they are vegetarian until indoctrinated ro meat by their parents

It would seem more likely they are not vegetarian, but rather have been formed from the environment that created them prior to birth, which would suggest that if the parents were meat eaters, it's a natural part of their ecosystem as individuals. If they weren't meat eaters, then I doubt meat would be part of the indoctrination from their parents.

RestlessSoul

Matters of mind are not equivalent to physical attributes.

A contentious statement, though one with which I wholeheartedly agree. The mind has attributes which are unique to itself, and therefore distinct from those of the brain. This is known as qualitative dualism and imo is irrefutable, but it’s a significant step from there to substance dualism, which holds that mind and body are made of different stuff. To the materialist, on the other hand, everything reduces to physics (by no means do all physicists hold this opinion btw. Astronomer Arthur Stanley Eddington once asserted that “the mind [is] an alchemist [and] the stuff of the world is mind stuff”)

We Never Know

No Slack
(I'm assuming that "other" is a typo for "or" - let me know if that's wrong)

You effectively gave two issues:

- whether or not deity exist
- whether or not deities exist

Which is it?
Some believe in one deity
Some believe in multiple deities

Hence their post of deity/deities

ChristineM

Premium Member
It would seem more likely they are not vegetarian, but rather have been formed from the environment that created them prior to birth, which would suggest that if the parents were meat eaters, it's a natural part of their ecosystem as individuals. If they weren't meat eaters, then I doubt meat would be part of the indoctrination from their parents.

For the majority, they are indoctrinated to meat by their parents.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
.yes, sorry
Any number of deities. Why does that matter?
When I hear someone proposing a way to define "atheist", I always run it past two quick checks to see whether it aligns with usage even at a surface level. I think both are things that pretty much everyone can agree with about atheists:

1. Atheists exist. There actually exist real people alive today who are atheists. This means that if the definition requires something that would be beyond the practical ability of a human being, the definition is wrong.

2. Theists aren't atheists. If a person is a theist, they're necessarily not an atheist. This means that if a definition would include some theists, the definition is wrong.

When it comes to "rejecting gods"-type definitions of atheism, they generally fail one of these tests or the other. For instance, many theists reject all sorts of gods... monotheists even tend to reject every god but one.

... so if rejecting "any number of deities" made a person an atheist, this would end up including most (nearly all?) theists. By my point #2 above, we know this definition doesn't reflect usage.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Sorry, but this, to me, is akin to dividing zero by zero..

Are babies born vegetarian because they don’t eat meat?
Would someone who eats nothing but dairy products be considered a vegetarian?

Babies don't typically start eating vegetables until they start on solid foods.

ChristineM

Premium Member
After rethinking this, I have changed my mind.
Being a christian, agnostic or an atheist all involve some form of concept of a god.

A baby lacks that concept so IMO they are none of the above.

You don't need knowledge of something to lack belief in it. In fact there are lots of things i don't know exist that i lack belief in.

Balthazzar

N. Germanic Descent
For the majority, they are indoctrinated to meat by their parents.

So, are you suggesting that meat was introduced into their individual ecosystems after they were born by their vegetarian parents, or are you suggesting the majority to be birthed from vegetarian parents, and adopted into meat eating families?

We Never Know

No Slack
You don't need knowledge of something to lack belief in it. In fact there are lots of things i don't know exist that i lack belief in.
IMO until one hears about something they lack concept and have no opinion either way. They don't lack belief or have belief because they have never heard of that something, they have no concept.

Balthazzar

N. Germanic Descent
Would someone who eats nothing but dairy products be considered a vegetarian?

Babies don't typically start eating vegetables until they start on solid foods.
I would suggest yes, they are born with the vegetarian standard. Other types of foods are added to the system as needed and in appropriate steps to help maintain a healthy ecological balance, in association with their natural ecosystem itself.

It is biology, but by associating the natural functions of an ecosystem in accordance with each individual as biological organisms, it helps to understand the requirements needed to sustain a balanced diet, per individual.