• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you allow homosexuals marriage then...

Bishka

Veteran Member
HopefulNikki said:
LOL...Maize, that's the point of the thread. I don't think you're comprehending that. This thread is not about whether or not gay marriage is right. It's about whether allowing gay marriage will lead to allowing other things like polygamy, incest, etc. If you don't like the topic of the thread, stop posting here and make another one.

I can't believe you would be that rude.

You are telling Maize that she can't comprehend something that is the very soul of her being?

That's low and you are wrong -- Maize has a lot more knowledge and experience on this subject then you ever will.

HopefulNikki

Maize said:

No it's not, because it is not relevent. If you have a problem with polygamous or incestous relationships, fine go take that up with them. Don't take it out on me and my family. Now, if you were to state that you don't think same gender couples deserve equal rights because we're horrible, evil people (whatever reason you don't like gay people) then at least your argument would be logical.

You cannot punish same gender couples for the independent actions of other groups.
They're not independent; once again, that's the point. When you allow one, others will begin creeping into the light and asking for legal recognition, too. One leads to the other, Maize, for the very reason that you cannot provide a single reason for allowing gay marriage that wouldn't just as equally apply to polygamy or incest.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
HopefulNikki said:
LOL...Maize, that's the point of the thread. I don't think you're comprehending that. This thread is not about whether or not gay marriage is right. It's about whether allowing gay marriage will lead to allowing other things like polygamy, incest, etc. If you don't like the topic of the thread, stop posting here and make another one.

I believe the topic of the thread assumes faulty reasoning. One does not cause another. One group should not the punished for the actions of another, even if it is possible to use similar arguments for both. They should be examined independently of one another.

You're the one arguing against gay marriage based on faulty reasoning, I'm just standing up to that.

Bishka

Veteran Member
HopefulNikki said:
They're not independent; once again, that's the point.

Actually they are - you have any proof to show otherwise?

HopefulNikki said:
When you allow one, others will begin creeping into the light and asking for legal recognition, too.

Proof? And is it such a bad thing that those other groups want recognition? Anywho - we'll deal with that when and IF it ever comes.

HopefulNikki said:
One leads to the other, Maize, for the very reason that you cannot provide a single reason for allowing gay marriage that wouldn't just as equally apply to polygamy or incest.

Neither can you prove otherwise.

Bishka

Veteran Member
jmoum said:
Not if they can't make some beautiful babies out of it. No. Because that's the whole point of marriage in the first place. That's the general social consensus and I highly doubt that will change any time soon.

*Sigh*

That's according to religious dogma -which I can tell you a lot of the 'majority' is not starting to believe anymore.

No marriage was not to make babies - it was to secure land and possesions.

HopefulNikki

beckysoup61 said:
I can't believe you would be that rude.

You are telling Maize that she can't comprehend something that is the very soul of her being?

That's low and you are wrong -- Maize has a lot more knowledge and experience on this subject then you ever will.
Becky, this thread is not the soul of anyone's being. It's a computerized discussion of one specific subject. Maize insists on steering to thread into whether or not homosexuality itself is wrong; that's not the direct point of the thread. All the arguments she has thus far used are applicable to polygamy and/or incest.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
jmoum said:
No, because you and Nikki have yet to concede eachothers points. I have yet to hear in this thread "Well, you have a point there and I understand what you're trying to say, but I don't think you took into consideration . . ."
Her only point is a logical fallacy. I won't concede to that.

jmoum said:
By the way Maize, I really want a response for my who'll Image Trait vs. Behavior Trait argument. I want to know what you think of that. In the meantime though, I'll just let the monkey entertain me. :monkey:

I'm sorry, what was that? I can't find the post.

Bishka

Veteran Member
HopefulNikki said:
Becky, this thread is not the soul of anyone's being. It's a computerized discussion of one specific subject. Maize insists on steering to thread into whether or not homosexuality itself is wrong; that's not the direct point of the thread. All the arguments she has thus far used are applicable to polygamy and/or incest.

Don't you dare try to play down Maize at all.

It's ridiculous.

You really don 't get it do you?

I don't have a lot of respect for people who act this way towards others.

That being said, I'm bowing out of this thread.

Good luck Amy - I'm being you 110% percent.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
HopefulNikki said:
They're not independent; once again, that's the point. When you allow one, others will begin creeping into the light and asking for legal recognition, too. One leads to the other, Maize, for the very reason that you cannot provide a single reason for allowing gay marriage that wouldn't just as equally apply to polygamy or incest.
So? That is not a reason to punish same gender couples and their families.

HopefulNikki

beckysoup61 said:
Actually they are - you have any proof to show otherwise?
See: The Entire Thread. ;)

Proof? And is it such a bad thing that those other groups want recognition?
Oh, dear...it already is coming, Becky, look at a few of the other threads around here.

Neither can you prove otherwise.
I've been proving it through my entire part in this thread. Every argument a person has used here for gay marriage has been applied to polygamy and/or incest. Until they can produce an argument that cannot be used for one or the other, my point stands.

Bishka

Veteran Member
jmoum said:
I know I'm not a mod, but I'd highly recomend that you refrain from personal attacks like the last one for two reasons. One, it's just plain rude. And two, just because Nikki has a differing opinion, that doesn't mean she knows any less about the issue than Maize does.

Don't reccomend anything to me, I'm not going to take the advice of someone who thinks sex is mainly for making babies.

I'm sticking up for a friend, and admin and a DECENT human being.

HopefulNikki

Maize said:
So? That is not a reason to punish same gender couples and their families.
Sadly, Maize, it is. When allowing gay marriage will inevitably lead to the allowance of things that are universally despicable, it's most certainly doubtful as to whether what causes such things should be allowed in the first place.

Bishka

Veteran Member
jmoum said:
To support the family and raise beautiful babies! That's why I'm going to college to get a job. Because I want kids. If I didn't, I wouldn't mind working at McDonald's for the rest of my life. Everything in society at some point or another always boils back down to family. Period.

What? Try starting another thread if you want to discuss sex, marriage and babies.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
jmoum said:
Not if they can't make some beautiful babies out of it. No. Because that's the whole point of marriage in the first place. That's the general social consensus and I highly doubt that will change any time soon.
I'd have to disagree with you. Society as a whole would be horrified and appalled if we decided to do mandatory fertility testing to see whether couples should be able to marry or not. Clearly it is not solely about making babies.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
HopefulNikki said:
You expect me to just sit back and not say anything and let you tell me I don't deserve equal rights because you don't like polygamous or incestous relationships? I am not in a polygamous or incestous relationship. I should not be punished because you don't like them.

HopefulNikki

beckysoup61 said:
That's not proof - it's your opinion -- which I don't count for much.
If you care to comment on my individual posts where I have made certain arguments, be my guest...everyone else seems to have given it a shot, join the party! : hamster :

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
HopefulNikki said:
I'm not going to restate an argument that has taken more than 20 pages to discuss. I've been giving my reasons throughout. If you care to go back through and read, be my guest. If you are asserting that gay marriage can stand on its own by using an argument that cannot be applied to polygamy and/or incest, then please, let's see it.

Your sole reason is that some of the same arguments being used for allowing homosexual marriage can also be used for polygamous and incestuous marriage. That's it.

Please.

A marriage license is issued to a couple. Currently it is issued only to couples consisting of persons of differing sex. The Civil Rights Act of 1964, as well as acting to famously end discrimination against race in the public and private sectors also acts, also proscribes similar discrimination of the basis of sex (as well as color, religion and national origin).

The refusal to issue marriage licenses to homosexual couples is entirely due to the sex of the persons involved, a basis which the government is not permitted to discriminate upon. This means that some couples are not afford equal protection under the law.

Reactions: d.

Bishka

Veteran Member
HopefulNikki said:
Sadly, Maize, it is. When allowing gay marriage will inevitably lead to the allowance of things that are universally despicable, it's most certainly doubtful as to whether what causes such things should be allowed in the first place.

so you are saying that Gay marriage is the gateway to unversally despicable things?

In way that's saying that gay marriage is like a 'gateway drug' into the downfall of our society -- which is ridiculous.

Our society already has 'universlaly despicable' things in it - don't pretend it doesn't - and gay marriage isn't going to make it worse or better.