• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you believe in God AND evolution, why do you believe in God?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Again...those firmly believing in evolution will say why, scientifically speaking, of course. That is not the question here. The question is, put another way, what reasons (or why) would a person have for believing in God if they also believe in evolution? Frankly, so far I've heard no -- answers unless I missed them as to WHY such a person believes in God as well.
I answered you yesterday.

I think a better question would be:
Why wouldn't a person believe in God if they also believe in evolution?

Please point out the contradiction.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I have been called dumb, ignorant, etc. because I no longer accept the theory as taught and then presented with discussions about fossils and cells generating, etc., as if that proves evolution.
Good luck proving that Adam and Eve were the first man and woman who ever existed.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
As a matter of fact, the majority of christians don't.

Creationists (as in: deniers of modern biology) are a minority. Very vocal, but a minority nonetheless.
Just to set matters straight, I do not deny modern biology. I deny the truth of the presently taught process of evolution.

YoursTrue

I answered you yesterday.

I think a better question would be:
Why wouldn't a person believe in God if they also believe in evolution?

Please point out the contradiction.
You did? Maybe I skipped it. Can you please either refer me to your answer (post #), or rephrase it in as succinct a way as possible? Thank you.

YoursTrue

If there is no contradiction why couldn't a person believe in God and also believe in evolution?
I am not asking about what you evidently perceive as a contradiction. See, I'm not asking that. So let me say it again -- what reasons does a person have if they believe in God? specifically directed to people like you who believe in God AND evolution. I'm not asking what reason you may have to believe the theory of evolution. Understand better now? Just to make sure, since you believe in God AND evolution, I'm not asking why you believe in evolution. Got it? I'm asking why you believe in GOD. Is that better now?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
You did? Maybe I skipped it. Can you please either refer me to your answer (post #), or rephrase it in as succinct a way as possible? Thank you.
That is not the question. The question is, if you believe in God AND evolution, why do you believe in God? Do you understand the question?
My answer was:

I accept evolution as a scientific fact, I don't have to 'believe' in evolution.

I believe in God because of Baha'u'llah. That's the foundation of my belief.
I never believed in God before I was a Baha'i because I had no reason to believe in God.
God was just a word to me.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I am not asking about what you evidently perceive as a contradiction. See, I'm not asking that. So let me say it again -- what reasons does a person have if they believe in God? specifically directed to people like you who believe in God AND evolution. I'm not asking what reason you may have to believe the theory of evolution. Understand better now? Just to make sure, since you believe in God AND evolution, I'm not asking why you believe in evolution. Got it? I'm asking why you believe in GOD. Is that better now?
Yes, I understood that question and the answer is above. #168

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not clear on why it is so difficult to understand accepting both biological evolution and the gods. Both of these things very obviously exist. It's kind of like asking "if you accept that the Sun exists why do you accept that the Earth exists." Er... I mean... eh?

ok, ty for explaining that. I disagree that the theory is beyond question, and by that I no longer accept the idea that humans came about as a result of natural selection or perhaps put another way, eventual emergence from a "common denominator" evolving to every form of life on this earth. But thank you for explaining your viewpoint. I know this is a debate forum, and there is hardly a place other than this to discuss contrary reasoning perhaps, but nevertheless I would like to stick to the topic of why a person who believes in evolution would also believe in God, but mainly the idea is why does a person believe in God? I haven't heard too many answers to that.

I completely understand wanting to stay on topic. I just found your comment about "Darwin style" evolution curious. Thanks for taking a little time to induldge my curiosity. :)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I believe in God. I accept and actually embrace science, so I don't doubt evolution. However, since we're all talking about it, perhaps you or someone can update us on the actual status of the science of evolution, what is the current evidence? No, I'm not doubting evolution per se at all, I am merely seeking to determine what the actual evidence is as any true scientist would. I agree, this is science and not a matter of belief with no material evidence, so it's natural for scientists to want the evidence and that's why they have been digging for decades. What is the status?
Very solid indeed. There are whole industries relying on it, and have been for, what, well over a century?

It is a falsifiable theory that has perdured. I don't think there was any real doubt about its validity since, at least, very early 20th century.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Again...those firmly believing in evolution will say why, scientifically speaking, of course. That is not the question here. The question is, put another way, what reasons (or why) would a person have for believing in God if they also believe in evolution? Frankly, so far I've heard no -- answers unless I missed them as to WHY such a person believes in God as well.
It stands to reason that reasonable theists won't believe in a god that is denied by evidence.

Is there anything in god-belief itself that would require that exotic trait? I would think not.

Coder

. . . no? I'm not a time traveller from the past? But good job asking a question that makes even less sense to me than the OP.
It was humor. I am simply pointing out that belief in gods is a belief whereas evolution is in the realm of science, yet you connected the two.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It was humor. I am simply pointing out that belief in gods is a belief whereas evolution is in the realm of science, yet you connected the two.
Because they are connected for me and I "believe" in the gods about as much as I "believe" in biological evolution (that, is I wouldn't say I "believe" in either - I know them). See:

YoursTrue

My answer was:

I accept evolution as a scientific fact, I don't have to 'believe' in evolution.

I believe in God because of Baha'u'llah. That's the foundation of my belief.
I never believed in God before I was a Baha'i because I had no reason to believe in God.
God was just a word to me.
I didn't ask why you believe in evolution, or rather if you think evolution is a proven fact. I ask nothing zilch about anyone's belief in evolution or whether you think evolution as taught by scientists is true.

YoursTrue

OK, thank you all for various, sundry and sometimes fascinating answers.

Coder

Because they are connected for me and I "believe" in the gods about as much as I "believe" in biological evolution (that, is I wouldn't say I "believe" in either - I know
Thank you for the link. Then your decisions about what is worthy of worship is a personal preference and not a claim of reality? That's not what I mean when speaking of God. Believers in God, don't generally view belief as a personal determination that is not also a reality that we all share (even though we still have complete freedom of belief, of course).