• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you claim any sort of belief in the Bible--

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
No, No one spoke about it, and even though my parents and family were Jewish, they never discussed the Bible with me. In fact, we went to services every week on Friday, the rabbi was a renowned rabbi and never taught us anything much about the Bible. They read from the Torah every week in Hebrew, my family did not understand Hebrew and little was ever explained. There was a prayer book, much of it was in English, some was transliterated into Hebrew sounds, and we recited the statements routinely. When I finally learned what the Bible really said many years later, I remember going to the last Seder (Passover ceremony) and told my family what I was learning. My uncle's reaction was that "you can't believe that, it's tradition..." And so I decided to stay with what I learned and believed to be the truth about God. (Hope that helps to explain my transition...)
Thanks!

Your experience is similar to many in Catholicism…. They’re not taught to use the Bible, but rather just adhere to traditions & rites, all the while listening to stuff spoken in a language they don’t understand.

Religion — most of it anyway — is a racket, a way to fleece the pockets of people! And these poor people get nothing useful out of it!

It’s obvious why Jehovah’s gonna have it destroyed. - Rev.17&18

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Hell, I also don't think it was meant to be a history book. It's a book of spirituality.
It’s both.

It is historically sound. Archaeologists have uncovered much evidence to support its historicity.
Nothing has ever been found to disprove its historical steadfastness.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
No, No one spoke about it, and even though my parents and family were Jewish, they never discussed the Bible with me. In fact, we went to services every week on Friday, the rabbi was a renowned rabbi and never taught us anything much about the Bible. They read from the Torah every week in Hebrew, my family did not understand Hebrew and little was ever explained. There was a prayer book, much of it was in English, some was transliterated into Hebrew sounds, and we recited the statements routinely. When I finally learned what the Bible really said many years later, I remember going to the last Seder (Passover ceremony) and told my family what I was learning. My uncle's reaction was that "you can't believe that, it's tradition..." And so I decided to stay with what I learned and believed to be the truth about God. (Hope that helps to explain my transition...)
Why didn't you ask questions, dig into the Torah, and read/study your English prayer book? Do you question, read/study for yourself now?

Guidance can be a comfort and a place of safety, but to quote a few lines from Romans 14:1b ...not to quarrel over opinions.......4b It is before his own master that he stands or falls.......5b Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. And, James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.

The word "courage" caught my attention in Revelation some time ago and made a great impact on me. Not being a student of Revelation, I've forgotten the location and specific wording that struck me so thoroughly. I'll have to go back and see if I can find it again.

Isn't that the great thing about forum discussions? They often ignite our thoughts into action.

Namaste

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Why didn't you ask questions, dig into the Torah, and read/study your English prayer book? Do you question, read/study for yourself now?

Guidance can be a comfort and a place of safety, but to quote a few lines from Romans 14:1b ...not to quarrel over opinions.......4b It is before his own master that he stands or falls.......5b Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. And, James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.

The word "courage" caught my attention in Revelation some time ago and made a great impact on me. Not being a student of Revelation, I've forgotten the location and specific wording that struck me so thoroughly. I'll have to go back and see if I can find it again.

Isn't that the great thing about forum discussions? They often ignite our thoughts into action.

Namaste
We were not encouraged to ask questions. I remember learning in synagogue = that God is possibly like a big eye that never blinks. Yes, I thought what? but never was encouraged to ask questions. I also was not taught about sexual morality as outlined in the Bible, nobody really cared...when I was older and out of school I was a professional singer in a church. Yup. They didn't care what my religion was. Or how I lived my life other than being there on time and singing. And I must say, the music was (and is) beautiful. I spoke to a few pastors asking questions, but not one of them opened a Bible to show me anything.
There is a lot in Revelation that I appreciate now, so glad you're enjoying it. Much of it is hard to understand without guidance. I asked for help from God, and despite my initial protests, I realize (and, of course believe) now that He sent someone to help me understand who He is. By means of the Bible. Thank you for your response.

YoursTrue

Namaste
Regarding the Torah, there has been some talk here about the Talmud. There are two Talmuds, one is the Jerusalem Talmud I believe, and the other is the Babylonian Talmud. If I remember correctly. Both revered books by the Jewish people. My family is Jewish and I was and am still very hurt that many were persecuted during WWII because of their religion. That is why I look forward to and believe God's promises now -- that HE (not mankind) will settle matters. Later...and thanks again.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Well, you’re more than welcome to present archaeological evidence to the contrary.

Of course, it’s always hard to prove something isn’t so.

Take care.
the "my claims are true until you prove them wrong" is the lowest bar setting one can set.

YoursTrue

Hi, Kathryn again. How do you feel about the following, do you feel it's true, or do you feel it's maybe like a fictional account?
In the book of Acts, chapter 10, once Peter understood more about Christ's message, it is written:
"Then Peter began to speak: “I now truly understand that God does not show favoritism, but welcomes those from every nation who fear Him and do what is right. He has sent this message to the people of Israel, proclaiming the gospel of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all."

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
But now that I review your post again, since you say your Bible is apparently what is called the "Old Testament" by some, ...

Leaving aside the dogma-driven liberties taken by too many, my Bible is what is called the Tanakh.

..., do you believe that Moses existed as written in your Bible. At least when I went to synagogue I was taught he existed, and it was not a myth about Moses but really happened as written.

While that is, indeed, the tradition, it is not one that I accept, nor is it one promoted in the Torah classes I've experienced over the years.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Hi, Kathryn again. How do you feel about the following, do you feel it's true, or do you feel it's maybe like a fictional account?
In the book of Acts, chapter 10, once Peter understood more about Christ's message, it is written:
"Then Peter began to speak: “I now truly understand that God does not show favoritism, but welcomes those from every nation who fear Him and do what is right. He has sent this message to the people of Israel, proclaiming the gospel of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all."
It's probably a pretty true account, from a cursory reading. Acts is a weird book, though.

jimb

Premium Member
Thanks!

Your experience is similar to many in Catholicism…. They’re not taught to use the Bible, but rather just adhere to traditions & rites, all the while listening to stuff spoken in a language they don’t understand.

Religion — most of it anyway — is a racket, a way to fleece the pockets of people! And these poor people get nothing useful out of it!

It’s obvious why Jehovah’s gonna have it destroyed. - Rev.17&18
Religion may be "a racket" to you, but I think that to those of us who have true faith it is exactly the opposite. Is the Jehovah Witness denomination "a racket"?

If you read Revelation 17 and 18, you will see that "Babylon" is a code word for Rome. And Revelation 18:20 further explains, "Rejoice over her, O heaven, you saints and apostles and prophets! For God has condemned her condemnation of you."

YoursTrue

Leaving aside the dogma-driven liberties taken by too many, my Bible is what is called the Tanakh.

While that is, indeed, the tradition, it is not one that I accept, nor is it one promoted in the Torah classes I've experienced over the years.
Thank you for letting me know what you accept. It is similar with some who call themselves Christian. They really do think or believe that the Bible they claim to use as the foundational belief is full of myths. (Both parts--Tanach plus more) Thank you. Yet there are prophecies to be fulfilled. I wonder if you look forward to a Messiah and on what basis do you do so if you do.

YoursTrue

Religion may be "a racket" to you, but I think that to those of us who have true faith it is exactly the opposite. Is the Jehovah Witness denomination "a racket"?

If you read Revelation 17 and 18, you will see that "Babylon" is a code word for Rome. And Revelation 18:20 further explains, "Rejoice over her, O heaven, you saints and apostles and prophets! For God has condemned her condemnation of you."
Does Rome still exist? How do you interpret that? And in what way do you think Rome is condemned?

YoursTrue

It's probably a pretty true account, from a cursory reading. Acts is a weird book, though.
It depends on how we see it, though. It takes time to read and understand. And, I have found (for me at least), I need God's help (his holy spirit) to help me understand things. As noted, I go slowly and even if I read something in the Bible, reflecting on it later can bring more knowledge to the fore for me. :) There is much to learn and for me it is a joy to do so.