• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you don't believe in.........

ninerbuff

godless wonder
psychics, feng shui, reiki, chi, reflexology, crystal and gem healing, and all the other scamming ways that use placebo effects as proof, then how is that any different than religious faith? Isn't religious faith just a placebo effect?

A

angellous_evangellous

It also is more effective if the person has had real treatments in the past.

I doubt giving a sugar pill to someone who has not grown up around Western medicine - like, say, a guy who only knows jungle life - is going to be as effective as telling an American that a sugar pill will help them with their prostate. The American has had the benefit of being told all their lives how a certain pill can do a certain thing and it's right to a certain extent. So now - without their knowledge - another pill is given to them that is like pills in the past in that the patient has experience with it.

Comparing placebo to religion requires that some religious experience is real and genuine.

shoinan

Recent tests show that it works even if you know ahead of time that you are receiving a placebo.

Fascinating, thank you for the link. Maybe there's simply something in just looking for an effect to be produced even if you know there shouldn't be one.

1AOA1

psychics, feng shui, reiki, chi, reflexology, crystal and gem healing, and all the other scamming ways that use placebo effects as proof, then how is that any different than religious faith? Isn't religious faith just a placebo effect?

:confused: don't people believe that doctors can heal them?

Commoner

Headache
Comparing placebo to religion requires that some religious experience is real and genuine.

Haha, that's quite a leap there...

You don't need to have any experience with Western medicine to take a sugar pill from someone you trust and for it to act as a placebo.

Do you also think that psychosomatic symptoms developed by believers during an "alien abduction" are the result of ctual alien abductions and/or that some alien obductions/alien relate experiences must therefore be real and genuine?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I get migraines and I take Maxalt when I get them (about once a month). Sometimes I wonder if this is a placebo or not or if some of my other meds are. If they turn out to be placebos, then wouldn't that prove the power of self healing of certain afflictions? I believe we have powers that we just don't use because we don't believe in ourselves (nothing like flapping our arms and flying but certain little things).

Commoner

Headache
I get migraines and I take Maxalt when I get them (about once a month). Sometimes I wonder if this is a placebo or not or if some of my other meds are. If they turn out to be placebos, then wouldn't that prove the power of self healing of certain afflictions? I believe we have powers that we just don't use because we don't believe in ourselves (nothing like flapping our arms and flying but certain little things).

On the other hand it might mean we have the power to conjure up head aches... :p

There are a lot of ways to trick yourself into not feeling pain, for example. But that's a far cry from any actual healing taking place, regardless of whether or not you believe it's possible.

Last edited:
A

angellous_evangellous

Haha, that's quite a leap there...

You don't need to have any experience with Western medicine to take a sugar pill from someone you trust and for it to act as a placebo.

Do you also think that psychosomatic symptoms developed by believers during an "alien abduction" are the result of ctual alien abductions and/or that some alien obductions/alien relate experiences must therefore be real and genuine?

Well, obviously I disagree.

And the alien thing is not a placebo.

shoinan

Just to note: a major part of testing the efficacy of medication is to compare it against a placebo in a randomized controlled trial, thus demonstrating it has an effect outside of the placebo effect. The question isn't whether or not religious belief can have a positive effect, but why it does.

Commoner

Headache
Well, obviously I disagree.

The whole point is, you need to believe it will/might work. Are you saying you can't believe a sugar pill will work unless you've had experience with Western medicine? Or are you objecting on some other grounds?

And the alien thing is not a placebo.

How is it different? It's not a pill or a medical procedure (obviously neither is religion), but how is the mechanism different?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
The whole point is, you need to believe it will/might work. Are you saying you can't believe a sugar pill will work unless you've had experience with Western medicine? Or are you objecting on some other grounds?

How is it different? It's not a pill or a medical procedure (obviously neither is religion), but how is the mechanism different?
If you ask nicely, A-E will probably give you your leg back.........

A

angellous_evangellous

Yes, that's precisely what I'm saying. It just would not have the same effect if one has not had experience that builds the trust (in the practice of medicine, not a person) necessary for the placebo to be effective.

You seriously don't understand how your analogy is not a placebo? I would encourage you to simply look up what a placebo is.

And remember, I'm trying to show how I think that religion is a terrible example. So is the alien analogy. :shrug: