• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm now a vegetarian!!!

UnTheist

Hema said:
That sounds very painful and not one of us will be willing to verify if it's true of not - from first hand experience.
How? All of the blood circulation to the brain is stopped almost immediately and you will probably be conscious for no more than 3 seconds.

And there would be no way to verify it, obviously

UnTheist

Hema said:
Oh a joke! :p Can we have some more jokes in here! It's so tense!

We're cool man! Whilst I myself will not eat meat under those conditions, it shows some consideration on your part. :) However, the animal will still suffer when it is slaughtered. :(
Animals will suffer much harsher lives than what we do to them. Disease, famine, being hunted down, injuries, and many other complications. Not to mention they will probably not die immediatly from all those, and they will suffer much greater pain and for a longer time.

Quickly slicing their head off is basically insignificant compared to those.

astarath

`PaWz said:
Animals will suffer much harsher lives than what we do to them. Disease, famine, being hunted down, injuries, and many other complications. Not to mention they will probably not die immediatly from all those, and they will suffer much greater pain and for a longer time. Quickly slicing their head off is basically insignificant compared to those

Interesting I wonder if you would be so supportive if God took the same stance. Oh well they are going to poison themselves, hate each other, destroy their home planet, and feel much more pain than the quick death I could offer?

Does this sound about right?

UnTheist

astarath said:
Interesting I wonder if you would be so supportive if God took the same stance. Oh well they are going to poison themselves, hate each other, destroy their home planet, and feel much more pain than the quick death I could offer?

Does this sound about right?
Why am I a part of that? Are you generalizing me into your "evil humans that can't be saved without God" category?

Animals kill other animals to survive. We are one of those animals. The question of why humans kill other humans is irrelevant to the topic

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
`PaWz said:
Animals will suffer much harsher lives than what we do to them. Disease, famine, being hunted down, injuries, and many other complications. Not to mention they will probably not die immediatly from all those, and they will suffer much greater pain and for a longer time.

So if someone is suffering and dying a slow painful death from cancer it is best to chop his/her head off to prevent all the suffering? So, if an animal is healthy and free, it is best to kill it before disease takes it?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
`PaWz said:

But they will be living their lives. In factory farms, they are doomed to mistreatment in cramped quarters. Many of them do suffer greatly, and die from the mistreatment (often from disease and starvation).

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
`PaWz said:
Animals kill other animals to survive. We are one of those animals.

We do not need to kill other animals to survive. I've been surviving for 25 years and I'm healthy.

UnTheist

Hema said:
So if someone is suffering and dying a slow painful death from cancer it is best to chop his/her head off to prevent all the suffering?
There are many ways you can reduce someone's suffering of cancer. We don't chop off humans' heads because we don't eat humans.

Hema said:
So, if an animal is healthy and free, it is best to kill it before disease takes it?
We eat meat in the first place because we are designed to do so. My point was that the way we kill an animal (or the way we should) is nowhere near that of what nature does to them.

Flappycat

Hema said:
Oh a joke! :p Can we have some more jokes in here! It's so tense!

We're cool man! Whilst I myself will not eat meat under those conditions, it shows some consideration on your part. :) However, the animal will still suffer when it is slaughtered. :(
Hehe, and I still think that having a sense of liberty is more important to most higher mammals than avoidance of short durations of pain. Even knowing of the pains of labor, women still willingly conceive and give birth, sometimes numerous times in their lifetimes. This is probably much more painful than having one's throat cut, though it could hardly be pleasant.

UnTheist

Guitar's Cry said:
But they will be living their lives. In factory farms, they are doomed to mistreatment in cramped quarters. Many of them do suffer greatly, and die from the mistreatment (often from disease and starvation).
I agree with that. I don't accept the way they treat them. Nevertheless, I would still kill a wild animal for food.

UnTheist

Hema said:
We do not need to kill other animals to survive. I've been surviving for 25 years and I'm healthy.
We kind of do. Many of our nutrients come from meat. We are not herbivores.

And if we could live without meat, that doesn't mean we should. I will never complain if a Human gets killed by a grizzly bear. That's reality

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
`PaWz said:

And if we could live without meat, that doesn't mean we should. I will never complain if a Human gets killed by a grizzly bear. That's reality

Like what? Definitely not fiber!

I will never wish for any human to be killed by a grizzly bear.

I will catch up tomorrow. Leaving now. Toodles! :D

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
`PaWz said:
I agree with that. I don't accept the way they treat them. Nevertheless, I would still kill a wild animal for food.

I would, too. Just not by cutting off its head. :D Depending, of course, on the animal and the weapons available to me.

Sorry. Seemed as if you were comparing a factory farm-raised animal to a wild one. For me, it's not so much the death of the animal that I'm worried about, it's the way it lives and how a person views that life.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I did apply at a factory that slaughters hogs. The sounds alone were enough to make me turn it down, and not even show up for the physical that was after the interview.

Wasn't enough to make me a vegatarian though.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Flappycat said:
I was joking. Vegetables don't even have nerves. And, once again, most humane methods of slaughter incur less pain than a visit to the dentist.

One point.... I forget what group of plants it is, but there are a few that respond to touch. Try a venus fly trap. And another plant closes its leaves when you touch it. Takes a few milliseconds. I can't think of any other way this would happen other that by way of nerves.

But veges having nerves? No. None that I know of anyway.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
`PaWz said:

Anything we get from meat, we can get from veges also. Where else does the cow get the nutrients in her meat from......?

A little joke to lighten things up, since Hema requested it:

"Green is what real food eats"

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
methylatedghosts said:
One point.... I forget what group of plants it is, but there are a few that respond to touch. Try a venus fly trap. And another plant closes its leaves when you touch it. Takes a few milliseconds. I can't think of any other way this would happen other that by way of nerves.
You can read about how they move and respond to touch here. It's debated exactly how it works, but nerves aren't involved.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Thanks for that :D

So no nerves on the flytrap. But the other one, there is something like it. (wish I could remember the plants name... would make this so much easier)

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Here's one that'll rock the vegetarian boat!

Plants Found to send Nerve-like messages

NY Times said:
By CAROL KAESUK YOON
PLANTS, unlike animals, have no nerves, so scientists have been jolted by the discovery this month that the tomato plant uses an electric signal to alert its defense system against grazing caterpillars.
A team of researchers from England and New Zealand reported in the Nov. 5 issue of Nature that when a leaf on a tomato seedling is chewed by insects it sends out electrical warning signals, alerting the rest of the plant to the danger. As undamaged leaves receive the signal, they begin producing defensive chemicals that make them difficult to digest.