• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm now a vegetarian!!!

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Finally I found it!!!

[url="http://plantsinmotion.bio.indiana.edu/plantmotion/movements/nastic/mimosa/mimosa.html'] Mimosa[/url]

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Radio Frequency X said:
It would also be unintelligent as we are on the top of the food chain. Why would we need to eat each other? Why would we want to?
Well, mortuary cannibalism, which is generally considered a sign of reverence for the dead amongst the people who practice it, would be one reason. Of course that's not actually using people as a food source per se, and can tend to encourage galloping epidemics of prion disease, as seen amongst the South Fore in New Guinea.
Other than that, the people who've traditionally practiced cannibalism primarily as a food source would probably say we'd want to eat each other cos we taste good.Like pork, apparently.
Which would make humans about the only thing in the world that doesn't taste like chicken.:p

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
`PaWz said:
How? All of the blood circulation to the brain is stopped almost immediately and you will probably be conscious for no more than 3 seconds.

And there would be no way to verify it, obviously
Are we talking removal of head with sharp implement or just having your throat cut?
If we're talking removal of head, then the anticipation would be worse than the actual removal of your head. I'm not sure the nerve impulses would have enough time to get to your brain before your spine was severed to let you know how it felt.I don't imagine it would stop you jerking around and twitching for a bit though. God knows, poultry will run without a head, but without it's head it isn't feeling any pain.
There have been studies done on this stuff... www.pubmed.gov has pages and pages of abstracts and article links relating to slaughter methods from all over the world. In one study alone they found in adult cattle, a small percentage lose spontaneous brain activity immediately after being bolted but the average is loss of spontaneous brain activity within 10 seconds of being stuck.

UnTheist

methylatedghosts said:
Anything we get from meat, we can get from veges also. Where else does the cow get the nutrients in her meat from......?

A little joke to lighten things up, since Hema requested it:

"Green is what real food eats"
I doubt we get the majority of our protein from plants.

And as I have repeated about 5 times, and I will repeat again: we are not HERBIVORES. If you disagree, then you are ignorant on all the science proving the human speices as OMNIVORES. There is nothing cynical about eating meat. Animals do it all the time. We are animals as well, if you didn't know.

love

tri-polar optimist
I am a meat eater. Chickens and fish I have never had a problem with killing and cleaning but I have seen a deer and rabbit slaughtered and cleaned and it effected my taste for the meat. I am sure if I were not a grocery store junkie and had to hunt and gather I would have a different attitude.

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
Quoth The Raven said:
Are we talking removal of head with sharp implement or just having your throat cut?
If we're talking removal of head, then the anticipation would be worse than the actual removal of your head. I'm not sure the nerve impulses would have enough time to get to your brain before your spine was severed to let you know how it felt.I don't imagine it would stop you jerking around and twitching for a bit though. God knows, poultry will run without a head, but without it's head it isn't feeling any pain.
There have been studies done on this stuff... www.pubmed.gov has pages and pages of abstracts and article links relating to slaughter methods from all over the world. In one study alone they found in adult cattle, a small percentage lose spontaneous brain activity immediately after being bolted but the average is loss of spontaneous brain activity within 10 seconds of being stuck.

See I get that, when the head is totally severed then there can be no pain felt but in those vids the head isn't removed until a good while after the throat is cut.
And as for the poor pig he has to go through a super hot bath machine before his head is offed!

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
darkpenguin said:
See I get that, when the head is totally severed then there can be no pain felt but in those vids the head isn't removed until a good while after the throat is cut.
And as for the poor pig he has to go through a super hot bath machine before his head is offed!
But the study I quoted earlier showed - using the same machinery you'd use to proclaim a human brain dead - that an adult cow is brain dead on average within 10 seconds of being stuck.Sometimes even before that. At least if you use a captive bolt gun first. In Kosher slaughter the average time til brain death after being stuck is about 154 seconds.
A brain dead human is considered fit for organ harvest without cutting their heads off.That's because essentially, they're dead. Why would you hold to a different criteria for an animal?