• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Infinite universe = everything exists.

idea

Question Everything
Personally, I like the conclusion from my latest investigations - we really do not know what gravity is. :D

I agree, we don't know what gravity is... rather than making up some unobservable quantity called Dark Matter to explain why gravity does not collapse galaxies, perhaps we should re-analyze what gravity is, what it does / or does not do?

Let us all know when you figure g out. I would love to own one of the first hover cars :)

You have failed to define God

We don't define who God is.
God defines Itself.

:angel2:

Last edited:

idea

Question Everything
Yay, since I define myself as God I am (a) God :D!

6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.
(Old Testament | Psalms82:6)

Yes, it is posible to define oneself as a God. To become a God :)

The universe is infinite - our potential is infinite, if you can dream it, you can do it.

MSizer

MSizer
For the record Idea, no real scientist claims to know what dark matter is, and knows very well that we don't know. The term dark matter is a linguistic place holder used until a better description is discovered. I think it's kind of ironic that you accuse scientists of using non specific terms, when in fact they admit that themselves, while religious people use the ultimate non-specific explanation (god) but don't admit that it's only a linguistic placeholder but in fact claim it to be a real explanation.

Kerr

6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.
(Old Testament | Psalms82:6)

Yes, it is posible to define oneself as a God. To become a God :)

The universe is infinite - our potential is infinite, if you can dream it, you can do it.
Well, you have yet to prove our potential is infinate or that the universe is... on the other hand, I think I prefer to be a man, if I became a deity I would just risk getting corrupted by power, and that is not good.

imaginaryme

I agree, we don't know what gravity is... rather than making up some unobservable quantity called Dark Matter to explain why gravity does not collapse galaxies, perhaps we should re-analyze what gravity is, what it does / or does not do?

Let us all know when you figure g out. I would love to own one of the first hover cars :)

We don't define who God is.
God defines Itself.

:angel2:

It may not be the matter of matter, it may be the Higgs field; gravity may well be a "symptom" rather than a "disease."

And I prefer stargates, myself. Ever read Endymion? Having an eleven-room house that exists on eleven different planets (one room per Earth, with the doorways as gates), that's the kind of fiction I like in my science. :D

Kerr

We all define ourselves through our actions/character/creations.
What makes someone define themselves so they can rip a few mountains apart with a single thought? What do they have to do? Prey, meditate, read the Bible, commit genocide, stop a genocide, start a huge and successful company, save or destroy people?

Just curious.

Mr Cheese

We all define ourselves through our actions/character/creations.

If I eat 5 donuts a day
And make sure I crave the sugar
Tell everyone I'm not fat, I'm just loveable

Am I a donut?

In a world of infinite donuts....

I have proven I am a donut, I have siad so, if you ahve a problem..go away

idea

Question Everything
For the record Idea, no real scientist claims to know what dark matter is, and knows very well that we don't know. The term dark matter is a linguistic place holder used until a better description is discovered. I think it's kind of ironic that you accuse scientists of using non specific terms, when in fact they admit that themselves, while religious people use the ultimate non-specific explanation (god) but don't admit that it's only a linguistic placeholder but in fact claim it to be a real explanation.

religious folk know very well that we don't know it all too. The idea of dark matter was created in order to explain what we observe in the universe. The "word" God was created in order to explain what we observe in one another.

All words are mere linguistic placehoolders.

justify

My mind
Awhile ago, many who lived on the earth thought that if they rowed their boat out far enough, they would eventually fall off an edge of sorts….

Tell me, if you fly your spaceship out far enough, where will you end up? Does the universe have a boundary? If you think it does, what lies beyond that boundary? Something lies beyond whatever boundaries we might construct, which means there are no ultimate boundaries.

No boundaries = infinite universe = everything exists.

There, I just proved God exists ;). :angel2:

Took the kids to the planetarium awhile back, had a show on deep field... They looked around until they found the darkest part of the sky, and then focused their telescope on it. We have all seen the picts of what they found - we have seen them, but do we realize the full magnitude of what we are looking at?
YouTube - Hubble Deep Field
Those specks of light aren't stars - they're galaxies.

Do you ever feel dizzy when you look up into the night sky?

I disagree, we have reason to suspect that is is finite and expanding.
see the antropic principle for more info on this. as for these distant parts, it would be of little interest to us as even travelling at a few points under the speed of light(wich is a feat)
we would only be able to get there in millions of years, now consider the human life span... yeah....

Kerr

religious folk know very well that we don't know it all too. The idea of dark matter was created in order to explain what we observe in the universe. The "word" God was created in order to explain what we observe in one another.

All words are mere linguistic placehoolders.
And now you happen to be playing with those linguistic placehoolders :p.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
And I prefer stargates, myself. Ever read Endymion? Having an eleven-room house that exists on eleven different planets (one room per Earth, with the doorways as gates), that's the kind of fiction I like in my science. :D

There were no farcaster-connected multi-world homes by the time of the Enymion books. The world-web no longer existed. ;)

Ganymede

Mr. Big Moon
What comes after the square root of negative one? (see link)
I will be very impressed if you know the answer :)
(PS - the answer is not the square root of negative 2 :D)

It depends on what part of the number you are advancing. The square root of -1 is i. It has been in use for over four hundred years for solving quadratic equations in algebra that do not have answers in the domain of real numbers. In algebra, the "foil" method is used to prove that the "roots" of an equation reform to become the equation. FOIL stand for first, inner, outer, last because when you multiply 2 single order equations like (x+1)*(x+1), you get (X"squared" + 2X + 1). When you "set" this equation equal to zero, you will find that there is only one answer to it (-1). That is what is called the factor, or root of the equation. The problem arises when going the other direction to find the "factors" or "roots" of the equation. (for example: (X"squared" + 1) = 0 breaks into (x-i)*(x+i) so that (-i)*(i) = negative 1 (implied by the minus sign) times "the square root of negative one" times "the square root of negative one" which = +1, and the other 2 terms cancel out (+xi - xi). That is the reason for the existence of "i" (the square root of -1).

Now, if you advance the digit inside the square root symbol (-1), you could advance it in one of two directions. you could add 1 (the square root of zero) which would be equal to zero. You could subtract 1, and then indeed your answer would be "the square root of -2" which would further simplify to (the square root of 2)*i (Approx. 1.414*i) if you advance the power of the root, again you could go either direction. -1 to the zero power equals 1. (any number to the zero power equals 1). Then, negative one to the first power equals -1. Then, negative one squared equals 1 again. and so on, "ad infinitum" as they say. If anyone would like to know more about math, or how to interpret silly math questions, please feel free.

Mathematics is nothing more than a way to model the visible/sensory world. In it's simplest form you can count how many apples you have. Complex numbers (powers of "i") are useful for modeling very complex interactions. They are used extensively in electronics, and quantum physics.

Now, for my next post, I will tackle the question at hand. (What lies beyond the end of the universe.)

Last edited:

imaginaryme

I disagree, we have reason to suspect that is is finite and expanding.
see the antropic principle for more info on this. as for these distant parts, it would be of little interest to us as even travelling at a few points under the speed of light(wich is a feat)
we would only be able to get there in millions of years, now consider the human life span... yeah....

The Anthropic Principle is not good science as in does not form predictive models. However, it is still a part of my personal philosophy. :D

What we might as well agree on is that the universe is "conceptually infinite" based upon the span of a human lifetime. It has been conceived that one can read a billion words in one's lifetime. Is it possible to imagine that the universe could fill a library of more than a billion words? I think that's a safe assumption.