• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Intelligent Design...........?

Im an Atheist

Biologist
Is intelligent design just another theory that creationists thought of becuase the evolution theory is getting stronger with more evidence and hard facts?

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Pretty much. Intelligent Design is the attempt by some biblical literalists at justifying their beliefs using "science", to in some way compete with rival theories (i.e. evolution) on the same terms.

Problem is it's not science, not only because they lack supportive evidence - all they have is gaps in current understanding warped to sound more important than they actually are plus false premises e.g. the eye is too complex to evolve by chance - but because they go about it backwards;

With science you have a problem, you come up with a hypothesis that seems to explain the problem, then you look for evidence to test your hypothesis through experimentation which may mean your hypothesis being disproved and having to come up with a new one.
With ID the hypothesis is always the same - "God did it", the hypothesis is never tested rather they look for evidence to support it. Should they find evidence that appears to contradict the "God did it" hypothesis, then it is the evidence that is wrong, never the word of God.

That's why ID is not science and has no place in any class other than religious studies.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Is intelligent design just another theory that creationists thought of becuase the evolution theory is getting stronger with more evidence and hard facts?

I would say that for many it's an attempt to synthesize ideas within the individual. Solid evidence and hard facts are one thing, and personal experience and introspection are another.

GiantHouseKey

Intelligent design is a hypothesis
Haha, it's not even that! It's just a belief.
To be a hypothesis it would have to be testable and/or objectively verifiable. But, as with all religious beliefs, it will never be objectively proven.
Creationists make me laugh.

GhK.

Tristesse

Haha, it's not even that! It's just a belief.
To be a hypothesis it would have to be testable and/or objectively verifiable. But, as with all religious beliefs, it will never be objectively proven.
Creationists make me laugh.

GhK.

True, it is a believe, but if you wanted to you could make some sort of hypothesis. A very weak hypothesis mind you.

Mr Manson

Like I just said in another post:
Theories made our evreyday gadgets possible.

Scientists never said "this is a fact", instead they said "This works!" and in many cases they said and still say "This seems to be the logical conclusion". Thousands of these logical conclusions were proven correct, and we just need to look around us in our room to understand it.

But then comes a cult of misstating, brainwashed and blindfolded creationists saying they never get anything right. God did it.

I wonder... did God with his almighty perfection... ...made these guys too??

Last edited:

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
I say teach both. Let the individuals choose the theory they would like to study. And if they want to study both let them. Because when it comes down to it. No human can absolutely prove either theory 100%. Let the children make up their own minds. Instead of having to be force fed one theory or another.

challupa

I say teach both. Let the individuals choose the theory they would like to study. And if they want to study both let them. Because when it comes down to it. No human can absolutely prove either theory 100%. Let the children make up their own minds. Instead of having to be force fed one theory or another.
That's fine as long as ID is a philosophy class and evolution is in a science class!

Beaudreaux

Intelligent design is a hypothesis. Evolution is a theory. There's a difference.
So, how do we go about testing the Intelligent Design hypothesis? How would you construct the experiment? Is anyone doing this? Are there any insights being gained on our world from scientific testing of the Intelligent Design hypothesis?

Beaudreaux

Intelligent design is not science. As such, it has no place in a science classroom. We do not make churchgoers learn biology in church. We should not make students learn religion in science class.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Yes but everyone does not contribute tax dollars to churches. Everyone pays taxes for school therefore both should be taught, if you want to be fair about it.

Beaudreaux

Yes but everyone does not contribute tax dollars to churches. Everyone pays taxes for school therefore both should be taught, if you want to be fair about it.
We must also teach Pastafarianism and the FSM version of creation as well, don't you think? Equal time must be made for alternate viewpoints.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology

That's very magnanimous of you.

If you want to teach your kids a completely unsubstantiated lie, you feel free to do just that. At the same time, I have a real problem with such rubbish being presented to kids (in general) as if it were the equal of the Theory of Evolution.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology

Teach whatever you want, in your church. Those are your tithes, feel free to spread willful ignorance there, as much as you wish.

Since all of us pay taxes for the schools (as you point out), I'm sure you'll see the folly of foisting your particular religious beliefs off on the children of people that reject your religion. No?

Enoch07

Premium Member
I would have to say it depends. Based on the majority of that school district. I mean if your district is mostly Buddhist then that particular district would teach their version. If a Christian family that lives in that district does not want their child learning that then they can teach the child their own views at home or church. ( which they should be anyways) But the only way to be fair to everyone is to teach both creationism and evolution. Or teach neither. Which would be a shame for everyone. Personally if I would have had a choice in school I would have taken both classes.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
I would have to say it depends. Based on the majority of that school district. I mean if your district is mostly Buddhist then that particular district would teach their version. If a Christian family that lives in that district does not want their child learning that then they can teach the child their own views at home or church. ( which they should be anyways) But the only way to be fair to everyone is to teach both creationism and evolution. Or teach neither. Which would be a shame for everyone. Personally if I would have had a choice in school I would have taken both classes.
I don't care what the majority of the people in a given school district believe. If it is a public school, then they should (and do) teach secular humanism. That is to say, they cannot and will not teach creationism or ID.