• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is AIDS a Punishment from God?

Imagist

Worshipper of Athe.
Many of these children grow to be great people, adversities seem to produce better persons, and if these children are wrong by their parent (they decided to have them) whose fault is it? When you say allow to be born, are you suggesting that the just thing to do is to prevent their birth? Who should be eliminated? There are hopes for vaccinations, then the problem will be solve and humanity will come out of this in a better shape, that when I think that there is not a will to find a cure and vaccination, that is too good a business to loose it and research for cure and vaccination are under funded at the moment that this is due to the condom manufacturers lobby. God has a way of turning bad thing into good things and uses humans to achieve it purpose, this is allegorically express in:
Gen 1:28
Then God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth."

God is all-powerful. He doesn't need bad things to happen to bring about good things.

So I still stand by my claim: he's a douche bag.

Imagist

Worshipper of Athe.
The scripture that that you seem to referrer to is clear you are not my brother, the condemnation expressed is if one does it to a brother and I just cited scripture just as you and your interpreter did.

2Ti 3:16
All Scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,

Try reading this again:

Matthew 5:22 said:
Anyone who says, "You fool!" will be in danger of the fires of hell.

Where does it say anything about brothers? The other things are to your brother, but this is to anyone.

emiliano

Try reading this again:
Where does it say anything about brothers? The other things are to your brother, but this is to anyone.

I am not going to waste any more time with you, “But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause [fn] shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, 'Raca!' shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, 'You fool!' shall be in danger of hell fire.” whoever is angry with his brother without a cause you or you mouth piece are not my brother and I do have a cause as you are slandering the man of God that brought us the message, abstinence is the way to proceed. I just don’t know what else to do to get you to understand that scriptures must be read in context.
But He answered and said to them, "My mother and My brothers are these who hear the word of God and do it. Do you qualify? Is my God your that should save you? Has He elect you?

Im an Atheist

Biologist
I think, the question is slightly wrong. It should be HIV not AIDS.

You develop AIDS when the virus concerntration gets too high in your blood.

and answering your question. I believe not. I believe its more moral punishment than faith punishment. I mean for example. Why are sinless children dying of HIV? It's all down to ethics and how we choose to register them. We could dramatically reduce the HIV/AIDS count in Africa if the catholics allowed condoms.

So to quickly round it up. If you get it, its your own fault or your really unlucky

emiliano

I think, the question is slightly wrong. It should be HIV not AIDS.
You develop AIDS when the virus concerntration gets too high in your blood.
and answering your question. I believe not. I believe its more moral punishment than faith punishment. I mean for example. Why are sinless children dying of HIV? It's all down to ethics and how we choose to register them. We could dramatically reduce the HIV/AIDS count in Africa if the catholics allowed condoms.
So to quickly round it up. If you get it, its your own fault or your really unlucky

OK, let look at it from that angle, the RCC is the custodian of Christians tenets, one and a very important one is Chastity and it is agreed that the main cause of the spreading of this virus is the breaking of this tenet and it does not affect Africa only. I have been trying to get the member to have a look at a experiment closer to home, New York that have a free condom distribution campaign and compared their results to the Ugandan experience, why are you so preoccupied that Catholic don't use condoms? if you think that you may get the virus from them. Don't have sex with them specially if they are married, they in turn are command to have nothing to do with the Godless, pagans, and heretics, they must obey and problem solved, people should have test to ensure that they are not currier of this virus and if found to be positive they should abstain if anything on ethical grounds, for the faithful is because of penance and atonement, the walk of a Christians is so different than that of the Godless and we live as Pellegrino on our way to a kingdom that you cannot comprehend, the Pope has the responsibility of guiding his people to that kingdom, that is his major preoccupation and cannot recommend any thing but the development of virtues that counteract vices.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I just don’t know what else to do to get you to understand that scriptures must be read in context.
Reading them in context yourself might help. This whole sidetrack started with you pulling a line out of a psalm about the enemies of Israel to get a dig in at atheists... or do you really think that all atheists "devour [David's] people as men eat bread"?

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I just don’t know what else to do to get you to understand that scriptures must be read in context.

Context goes out the window with scripture, you people change the meaning of verses to suit your own battles.
If i went through this thread and took this to the local church all this scripture, i'd get a completely different story.
You're applying scripture to this thread to attempt to bolster your own opinion.

emiliano

Reading them in context yourself might help. This whole sidetrack started with you pulling a line out of a psalm about the enemies of Israel to get a dig in at atheists... or do you really think that all atheists "devour [David's] people as men eat bread"?

Let see, how does this apply to atheist slandering and vilifying God’s servant the Pope, those that say there is no God are……………..? This devouring like bread is symbolic of destroying, why do atheists want Catholics to use condoms? I hope that you are not claiming that this is in reference to cannibalism, in these days and age and in this particular instance the media seem to be bent on publishing the distorted dramatizations of what the Pope said they are eating God’s people, that he kills people by telling them to abstain and to the unfortunate infected that they abstains so as not infect others, you got people that don’t have a quarter of this man’s intellect calling him a fool, the statistical information is there for all to see, the distribution of condoms has have a negative impact in the fight against the spreading of HIV. The distribution of condoms has made things worst.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Let see, how does this apply to atheist slandering and vilifying God’s servant the Pope,

Come on, such a way of talking does no one any favors.

Surely you are aware that disagreeing with the claims of divine inspiration for the Pope is a basic right for anyone, not just atheists. In fact, basically all Protestants and many if not most Orthodox Christians do so. I'm not even sure most Catholics recognize such claims.

So don't be so quick to call such lack of support for the claims "slandering and vilifying", ok? It is very legitimate to judge the Pope on the merits of his actions alone, disregarding his supposed supernatural favor.

those that say there is no God are……………..?

Strong Atheists. So?

This devouring like bread is symbolic of destroying, why do atheists want Catholics to use condoms?
For the same reason we want anyone else to use condoms: because they are one of the overall best defenses against unwanted pregnancy, DST and AIDS.

Condoms have their downsides. But none that justifies the fearmongering that some people throw at them.

I hope that you are not claiming that this is in reference to cannibalism, in these days and age and in this particular instance the media seem to be bent on publishing the distorted dramatizations of what the Pope said they are eating God’s people, that he kills people by telling them to abstain and to the unfortunate infected that they abstains so as not infect others, you got people that don’t have a quarter of this man’s intellect calling him a fool,
You're in a very bad position to call other people fools.

the statistical information is there for all to see, the distribution of condoms has have a negative impact in the fight against the spreading of HIV. The distribution of condoms has made things worst.
Simply not true, kiddo.

Im an Atheist

Biologist
No... Because it is a result of unsafe sex and can be passed through genes.

No i'm afraid, HIV or AIDS cannot be passed through the genes. It is NOT a genetical disorder, it is a virus. It is a virus which transports itself around your body via your blood, hence babies can get infected with HIV/AIDS becuase they are living off the mothers blood.

IAA...

Im an Atheist

Biologist
OK, let look at it from that angle, the RCC is the custodian of Christians tenets, one and a very important one is Chastity and it is agreed that the main cause of the spreading of this virus is the breaking of this tenet and it does not affect Africa only. I have been trying to get the member to have a look at a experiment closer to home, New York that have a free condom distribution campaign and compared their results to the Ugandan experience, why are you so preoccupied that Catholic don't use condoms? if you think that you may get the virus from them. Don't have sex with them specially if they are married, they in turn are command to have nothing to do with the Godless, pagans, and heretics, they must obey and problem solved, people should have test to ensure that they are not currier of this virus and if found to be positive they should abstain if anything on ethical grounds, for the faithful is because of penance and atonement, the walk of a Christians is so different than that of the Godless and we live as Pellegrino on our way to a kingdom that you cannot comprehend, the Pope has the responsibility of guiding his people to that kingdom, that is his major preoccupation and cannot recommend any thing but the development of virtues that counteract vices.

Sorry if i got the wrong branch of religion, i thought it was catholics, however the main reason Africians are not using condoms is because of religion. There needs to be a bit of lee way in a situation like this.

IAA

Deist David

A serious Deist!
There is no evidence in the Universe that AIDS is anything other than an unfortunate creation of man's current stage of evolution.

For me, stating that AIDs is a 'punishment of God' is as sick as stating that 'Paedophilia is a gift of God'.

emiliano

Come on, such a way of talking does no one any favors.

I did not mean it to do that. on the contrary it was to state clearly that this is upsetting to Catholics that are counted by billion plus souls. I don’t know why some people thinks that Christians need their favor, sooooo.

Surely you are aware that disagreeing with the claims of divine inspiration for the Pope is a basic right for anyone, not just atheists. In fact, basically all Protestants and many if not most Orthodox Christians do so. I'm not even sure most Catholics recognize such claims.
There you have it Luchito who gives a hoot about them; your ignorance of this issue does not make your quips true. It just shows that you just don’t know, calling the pope irresponsible and blame him for the AIDS sufferer that contracted a deadly virus due to their immoral behavior is a joke, demanding that the Pope advertise condoms is stupid, if you don’t know something research it before you post.

So don't be so quick to call such lack of support for the claims "slandering and vilifying", ok? It is very legitimate to judge the Pope on the merits of his actions alone, disregarding his supposed supernatural favor.
The frustrating part of this is that you are not just supporting a view, but hurdled insult and distort his message in complete ignorance; do you know what holding the highest office of this Church involves? As I have said more than once the Pope is the spiritual leader of more than a billion souls, do you know what repentance and penance is to them?
Strong Atheists. So?
Well to me it is another thing, Godless and thus incapable of ascending to spiritual truth.

For the same reason we want anyone else to use condoms: because they are one of the overall best defenses against unwanted pregnancy, DST and AIDS.
Wouldn’t it be easier to just not have sex with them? Do you know what the purpose of sex to a Catholic is? There is not such thing as unwanted pregnancies and there is no justification for abortions, VDs and AIDS can be prevent by chastity and abstinence.

Condoms have their downsides. But none that justifies the fearmongering that some people throw at them.
If you are not a Christian this should not mean anything, if this can’t curve their risky behaviors, nothing will, they will die off.

You're in a very bad position to call other people fools.
Simply not true, kiddo.

You got me here Luchito, what are you trying to say? It is other members that have call the Pope a fool, people that have an inferior intellect than the man that they insult.