• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Athiesm a Religion?

outhouse

Atheistically
By your understanding of the concept, which is apparently quite alien to me, and which I see no useful purpose in attempting to adhere to. It genuinely puzzles me.

People who believe in these things hold different levels of Fanaticism.

maybe you found hers

outhouse

Atheistically
This would categorize as implicit atheists those adults who have never heard of the concept of deities, and those adults who have not given the idea any real consideration.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
lacking belief by way of education has nothing to do with position, or support. Your perverting the word belief as in context to knowledge.

No, I'm just assuming if a person has a position regarding a subject they'd have some knowledge about it. Lacking any knowledge about it they'd probably hold no position to argue from.

outhouse

Atheistically
No, I'm just assuming if a person has a position regarding a subject they'd have some knowledge about it. Lacking any knowledge about it they'd probably hold no position to argue from.

Which factually makes them an implicit atheist.

Wiki
This would categorize as implicit atheists those adults who have never heard of the concept of deities, and those adults who have not given the idea any real consideration.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
To call a newborn an atheist is little more than worthless wordplay. Whether or not one can formulate a sterile definition of 'atheism' to support it is of no import.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

To be fair, I don't think that is quite true. There is some evidence that many or most people are born "brain-wired towards theism", so to speak. They would develop mythification and beliefs that are in practice some form of theism even if raised in cultures that never learned of any of the many and varied understandings of what a deity is.

That is arguably in fact a disease or derangement, but it is difficult to deny that it happens fairly often.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
To call a newborn an atheist is little more than worthless wordplay. Whether or not one can formulate a sterile definition of 'atheism' to support it is of no import.

I guess that is true if you don't much mind the insistence of many to project theism where it does not fit.

outhouse

Atheistically
By your understanding of the concept, which is apparently quite alien to me, and which I see no useful purpose in attempting to adhere to. It genuinely puzzles me.

Part of the context here, and why I brought this up.

The ignorance of theism to theist is amazing, but the ignorance to the definition and philosophy of atheism is overwhelming.

Most theist condemn atheism ignorantly, and OP has shown no difference here.

outhouse

Atheistically
I guess that is true if you don't much mind the insistence of many to project theism where it does not fit.

To me one looses all credibility as honest when one lets bias reflect their answer.

Are babies born theist? yes or no?

Then that makes them implicit atheist by definition.

We all know the definition carries no weight or social implications, but it addresses honesty, fanaticism and fundamentalism. And how deeply some theist are brainwashed.

outhouse

Atheistically
To be fair, I don't think that is quite true. .

That is the definition as posted from wiki. It is the current state of the definition.

What is eluding people is we are talking about a philosophical question, and no answer will ever be debated with certainty, while theism creates its own fanaticism

outhouse

Atheistically
There is some evidence that many or most people are born "brain-wired towards theism", so to speak..

This evidence has not been posted and so far, is unsubstantiated and admitted speculation.

It is only a fringe position by someone who hold s little credibility and does not reflect mainstream science in any way.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Sometimes. But it is not clear to me that it isn't also inherent to at least some people before they are presented to the idea of belief in God. See my post #160 in this thread.

I think you might be right. However I also think spiritualism might also be inherent. A person with a spiritual nature is more likely to be persuaded by
To be fair, I don't think that is quite true. There is some evidence that many or most people are born "brain-wired towards theism", so to speak. They would develop mythification and beliefs that are in practice some form of theism even if raised in cultures that never learned of any of the many and varied understandings of what a deity is.

That is arguably in fact a disease or derangement, but it is difficult to deny that it happens fairly often.

I was about to agree except for the last sentence. You believe people who's brains are hardwired differently then yours are diseased or deranged?

outhouse

Atheistically
Okay. Let's look at it this way. A glass represents a person. Theism represents a fluid. Atheism represents a lack of fluid.

This is the most common sense approach so far.

And only religious fanaticism is stopping this from being accepted. Fact.

As the definition for implicit atheism is not up for debate.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
This evidence has not been posted and so far, is unsubstantiated and admitted speculation.

It is only a fringe position by someone who hold s little credibility and does not reflect mainstream science in any way.

I will readily admit that I am not well aware of those studies, much less their quality.

But I have met enough people who show a vocation towards theism to believe that there is something to that. Perhaps not very much, but apparently something.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I was about to agree except for the last sentence. You believe people who's brains are hardwired differently then yours are diseased or deranged?

On that specific matter of theism, you mean?

Truth is, I do indeed. Common as theism is, I can't in good faith deny that I don't find it healthy.