• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is being gay a sin according to your religion?

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
As an atheist, you think that spiritual progress is like worldly plotting......no, it's not about words....it is about action.... walk the walk...not talk the talk.....

Yet again you are trying to claim that belief in God is a prerequisite to any kind of religious or spiritual practice. This is sheer nonsense.

If you were serious about spiritual progress you would be willing to examine your beliefs and prejudices as a means of developing greater self-awareness.

I notice you still haven't responded to the specific points I raised on the previous page, so here they are again:

1. Promoting prejudice and discrimination is contrary to the spirit of Christ's teachings, as conveyed in sayings like these:
"Do unto others as you would have them do to you", "Don't judge or you will be judged", "Love your neighbours as yourself", and so on.

2. Christ himself didn't say anything about homosexuality: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/22/what-jesus-says-about-homosexuality-_n_4489452.html

3. The10 commandments don't mention homosexuality. If homosexuality was such a big deal if would have been included.

4. The Bible condemns all sorts of things, including shellfish, but people are very selective according to their own prejudices.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Yet again you are trying to claim that belief in God is a prerequisite to any kind of religious or spiritual practice. This is sheer nonsense.

If you were serious about spiritual progress you would be willing to examine your beliefs and prejudices as a means of developing greater self-awareness.

I notice you still haven't responded to the specific points I raised on the previous page, so here they are again:

1. Promoting prejudice and discrimination is contrary to the spirit of Christ's teachings, as conveyed in sayings like these:
"Do unto others as you would have them do to you", "Don't judge or you will be judged", "Love your neighbours as yourself", and so on.

2. Christ himself didn't say anything about homosexuality: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/22/what-jesus-says-about-homosexuality-_n_4489452.html

3. The10 commandments don't mention homosexuality. If homosexuality was such a big deal if would have been included.

4. The Bible condemns all sorts of things, including shellfish, but people are very selective according to their own prejudices.
You had better take a rest Norman....you are all over the page....incoherent...irrelevant...scattered...repetitive....copy and paste from previous posts.... That's it now Norman...there is no agreement and that is fine...deal with it...

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
You had better take a rest Norman....you are all over the page....incoherent...irrelevant...scattered...repetitive....copy and paste from previous posts.... That's it now Norman...there is no agreement and that is fine...deal with it...

Again, pure projection on your part.

It would be more honest of you to admit that you can't answer the questions I posed in a coherent manner, and that this demonstrates how irrational and fragile your position really is. Unfortunately this is often the case when people hold prejudiced views.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
I suggest you go back and read what I said, - as I never implied that Christians only wanted slavery.

I said Christians used the Bible as an excuse to say slavery was a God given law.

With which I agree, but then again, that's sort of debatable, because you seem to have shrugged it off whenever I had mentioned anything about other Christians using their Scriptures to justify the right.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
The seem like coherent questions to me... why not give them a go?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Yes I know,Ingledsva....you have done a lot of work in making your case...but yours' is a contrarian translation of the scripture and I am using the actual official biblical translation....so majority rule.... That's it.....

Sanctioned "official" crap - is still crap.

Prejudice and homophobia have colored the translations. Sodomite being a perfect example. It is translated now as homosexual, - however - it originally meant a male Sacred Prostitute. You can see this by looking up the word in your Strong's Concordance.

It's time to correct them.

Jesus said nothing about homosexuality.

Most Christians don't follow - ALL - the Jewish laws. In fact they tell us they are no longer under any but perhaps ten of them.

Yet they become hypocrites when it comes to personal homophobia, - and suddenly they want to keep ONE of those old laws (which isn't even actually in there.)

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I get it....but that's how the scholars translated it.....and that is what the people read....that's it.....

No - that is not it!

If it is wrong, - it is wrong, - and needs to be corrected so people aren't being abused and discriminated against.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Again, pure projection on your part.

It would be more honest of you to admit that you can't answer the questions I posed in a coherent manner, and that this demonstrates how irrational and fragile your position really is. Unfortunately this is often the case when people hold prejudiced views.
From here on....this will be my only response to you Norman.... I will stick to the thread title question and give the theological questions a miss... Genesis 19 .... Leviticus 18:22 ... Leviticus 20:13 ... Romans 1:26-27 .. 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 ... 1 Timothy 1:10

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
How do we measure, access, or validate who is correct, or if either one of us is correct?
Life is a moving drama....taking a profile of it at one moment does not capture the overall reality. If you spend time trying to do that....you are not living in the here and now where the real action is taking place.. Staying in the present where I am saying that the only valid and correct thing we can access, measure, or validate, at this time is that we disagree...

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

Ingledsva said:
I suggest you go back and read what I said, - as I never implied that Christians only wanted slavery.

I said Christians used the Bible as an excuse to say slavery was a God given law.

With which I agree, but then again, that's sort of debatable, because you seem to have shrugged it off whenever I had mentioned anything about other Christians using their Scriptures to justify the right.

There is no debate. My words are in black and white for all to read. I did not say, or imply, that ALL Christians wanted slavery. In fact if you go back and read that section, you will find we were discussing those Christians, - and others, - that were against slavery.

It is a fact that Christians used the Bible to say they had a God given right to hold and breed slaves - forever.

In fact they used these verses from Leviticus and Exodus. -

Lev 25:45 Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession.

Lev 25:46 And you shall take them for inheritance to your sons after you, to hold for a possession; you may enslave them FOREVER. But on your brothers, the sons of Israel, one over another, you shall not rule over him with severity.

Exo 21:4 If his master has provided him a woman, and she have born him sons or daughters; the woman and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out by himself. (Breeding of slave to pass on.)

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
From here on....this will be my only response to you Norman.... I will stick to the thread title question and give the theological questions a miss... Genesis 19 .... Leviticus 18:22 ... Leviticus 20:13 ... Romans 1:26-27 .. 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 ... 1 Timothy 1:10

Norman actually asked you some good questions - that should have made you stop and think.

And continually posting those verses which have been shown to be wrong, - and to have actual - purposely mistranslated words, - such as sodomite=Sacred Prostitute - not homosexual, and arsenokoites=rapist - not homosexual, are doing you no favors here.

shmogie

Some may have used OT verses to justify slavery, and Called themselves Christians. A man may call himself a fence post, but that doesn't make him one. The NT is clear, slavery is wrong, period