• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is being gay a sin according to your religion?

shmogie

LOL! You have proven nothing.

I have shown text, language, ancient documents, and provided links.

Jesus DIDN'T say homosexuality was wrong. - Nor did he say only male-female marriage.

Those "cults" are recognized Gnostic Christian groups, and have been providing Biblical theologians, and other historians, information, - especially about practices and writings possibly destroyed with the Nicean Councils, - for instance.

LOL! I provide actual Proof - language - links, etc., and show where your supposed "Bible proof" isn't actually in the Bible! Which means it is YOU "that can't grasp it," and are thus crying nanner-nanner-ain't-so!

The gnostics were heretics, they weren't Christians. If you know anything about the gnostics, you know that their belief structure was counter to Christ;s teachings and that of the Apostles. You provided nonsense, and your position is that of a tiny minority trying desperately to justify the unjustifiable within Christianity

shmogie

What you are missing is context can prove something is wrong just as content.

No scripture doesnt mention same-sex marriage.

Theh mention a heck of the opposite both in scripture and in culture.

On what evidence can you way they are wrong when no evidence prooves you are right?
Very clear NT and OT texts exist clearly condemn homosexuality, been posted over and over again

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Thank you for all the interesting info. It certainly does indicate that there have been deviations from God's design for human sexuality over the ages.

That is your personal opinion. I have challenged all such texts, showing the actual Hebrew or Greek words used.

It also reveals that these are not the norm for marriage

The last few pages show this is not correct.

and clearly against God's word in the scriptures since He repeatedly warned the children of Israel against participating in the abominations and practices of the Canaanites and other pagan nations surrounding them, as Paul warned Christians concerning the perverted sexual customs of the non-believing pagans in the NT.

Actually as far as I know - in pertinent texts - the words actually mean RITES.

But since you are not a Christian and don't care what God thinks you are certainly free to believe such information validates your view.

It is always interesting to me when people jump to a conclusion - just because one challenges erroneous translation of texts, or hidden history.

I'm not Atheist, - and was once Christian, - until study of the Bible showed me that the "God" of the Bible couldn't actually be GOD. I do not believe God would murder infants, for instance.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
The gnostics were heretics, they weren't Christians. If you know anything about the gnostics, you know that their belief structure was counter to Christ;s teachings and that of the Apostles. You provided nonsense, and your position is that of a tiny minority trying desperately to justify the unjustifiable within Christianity

LOL! You not liking it - does not make it nonsense!

There has been plenty of learned Theological debate about how some of Jesus' teachings are closer to some Gnostic teachings.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Very clear NT and OT texts exist clearly condemn homosexuality, been posted over and over again

Nope. Can't turn the word Qadesh into homosexual, no matter how hard you try. :) Can't turn the word arsenokoites into homosexual, no matter how hard you try.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
We are just going to go round-and-round. :)

On what evidence can you say I am wrong when no evidence prooves they are right?

You are right: There are no same-sex marriage verses

You are wrong: Absence of above does not make gay marriage right "according to scripture"

My evidence: Scripture and culture specifically says marriage is between male and female

Given -- you have no scriptures For same-sex marriage

How can you prove I am wrong?

By what source will you use to proove me wrong?

--
You state your point repeatly but where is your support? From what source?

And.

The thread is asking is being gay wrong in ones religion. It isnt in mine.

But that not my point.

Please. Please actively read this.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Dont think you are following our conversation.

Homosexuality according to scripture is actions between any person gay/straight/bi based on lust.

That is why it is condemned.

Scripture does Not mention gay/lesbian/bi (not straight) people of same-sex orientation can be together with god's blessings.

Its just not there.

That does not make it right (if it is based on actions)

Since homosexuality to many homosexuals and myself as a lesbian is NOT based on lust, those verses do not apply to those of us who are not lusting over their partners.

Many christians will not understand because all they see is actions and the filth you see in media and the sins in scripture.

Rarely does any christian against homosexuality ask us how WE define our love (not lust) between our mates.

Our hearts are not taken into comsideration because many of you are looking at flesh.

Last edited:

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
You are right: There are no same-sex marriage verses

You are wrong: Absence of above does not make gay marriage right "according to scripture"

My evidence: Scripture and culture specifically says marriage is between male and female

Given -- you have no scriptures For same-sex marriage

How can you prove I am wrong?

By what source will you use to proove me wrong?

--
You state your point repeatly but where is your support? From what source?

And.

The thread is asking is being gay wrong in ones religion. It isnt in mine.

But that not my point.

Please. Please actively read this.

You are missing that I don't actually have to prove the negative, as there are no actual texts against homosexuality, or same-sex marriage.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You are missing that I don't actually have to prove the negative, as there are no actual texts against homosexuality, or same-sex marriage.

My point is absense of scripture doesnt make same-sex marriage right especially when scripture emphasis marriage is between male and female.

A christian can proove same-sex marriage is wrong based on two things

1. Its not in scripture
2. Scripture emphasis otherwise.

They use context to proove their points. If you look at context, maybe you understand why they believe what they do even though you disagree.

Everything else in my opinion is their personal interpretation.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I think most people have on this thread.
I don't think, I know we have. For whatever reason, our posts, links, studies, research, and knowledge have went ignored.
I want to assume a blind religious zealousness, but all we can do is guess as to why. But any reason given or stated will not be valid, because we have been providing such evidence and studies, and they have apparently went ignored, except when to conveniently take a quote entirely out of context and ignore the sentences that come a line or two after what has been quoted.

shmogie

Dont think you are following our conversation.

Homosexuality according to scripture is actions between any person gay/straight/bi based on lust.

That is why it is condemned.

Scripture does Not mention gay/lesbian/bi (not straight) people of same-sex orientation can be together with god's blessings.

Its just not there.

That does not make it right (if it is based on actions)

Since homosexuality to many homosexuals and myself as a lesbian is NOT based on lust, those verses do not apply to those of us who are not lusting over their partners.

Many christians will not understand because all they see is actions and the filth you see in media and the sins in scripture.

Rarely does any christian against homosexuality ask us how WE define our love (not lust) between our mates.

Our hearts are not taken into comsideration because many of you are looking at flesh.
Whew, Sexual lust is condemned in the Bible.. Homosexuality is condemned in the Bible, OT and NT as an act, not a state of mind. I am not "against" homosexuality in general I have no responsibility to judge, just in the church, a believer can not be a practicing homosexual and be a church member. If there is a sexual act associated with your love of someone of the same sex, whatever the mindset, it is not compatible with Christianity.

shmogie

I don't think, I know we have. For whatever reason, our posts, links, studies, research, and knowledge have went ignored.
I want to assume a blind religious zealousness, but all we can do is guess as to why. But any reason given or stated will not be valid, because we have been providing such evidence and studies, and they have apparently went ignored, except when to conveniently take a quote entirely out of context and ignore the sentences that come a line or two after what has been quoted.
It is very simple, I have read most of what has been posted, this study, that study, this view, that view, all very interesting. However, not one of you has said, this factor(s) is responsible in every case of homosexuality, for the homosexuality. A very simple statement. Beyond a reasonable doubt, which means proof. So that burden of proof is on you who believe whatever you believe. Beware however, I know that science to this point doesn't make this claim. So to be perfectly clear and unambiguous.............................. Do you have evidence that proves why homosexuality exists in humans, yes or no, and if yes, is it consistently present in every homosexual, and what are these factor(s) ? Very simple, very direct, you either have it, or you don't

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Whew, Sexual lust is condemned in the Bible.. Homosexuality is condemned in the Bible, OT and NT as an act, not a state of mind. I am not "against" homosexuality in general I have no responsibility to judge, just in the church, a believer can not be a practicing homosexual and be a church member. If there is a sexual act associated with your love of someone of the same sex, whatever the mindset, it is not compatible with Christianity.

Thats really sad for christian homosexuals, though. A lot of gay/lesbian/bi christians try to change themselves, thinking that when god sees them with their husband or wife, he sees trash.

Thr mindset of a heterosexual couple and homosexual couple in holy matrimony are no different.

Its the christian god that sees sin in one couples heart and blessings in the other.

I never liked the christian stance on interpreting how god judges a couples heart based on what they read.

Its better to ask the couple, accept they have a relationship with god "and" their partner, and if god sees trash in their actions thats on god.

I just wish some christians would be more civil about a homosexual couples hearts. They dont have to agree but they dont have to condomn a homosexual just because he is one rather than be against All people-straight/gay/bi-who sin.

I have been lesbian for almost twenty yeara before my first crush ans two more years before my first girlfriend (real girlfriend not like people in scripture who mated in lust). Im still lesbian and I havent dated in I dont know how long.

Just by saying "I am lesbian" and if I coupled that with "I am christian" makes peoples heads turn.

And I did nothing.

We need to be careful with defining a person by what they read. Ask them. They may not be able to physically love their mate as christians, but many gay/lesbian/bi christia. couples have been together and "marred" for years in god's grace.

But Im not a christian and I dont believe in "a higher power/s" that require my worship. I have a interrelationship with my ancestors and spirits so I can say no. That doesnt mean I am direspecting them, it just means we are all different and all have our ways of expressing love etc with each other.

Pagans define their gods as not being superior over others but have their own personalities.

The spirits have their own personalities though are not worshiped as deities.

Ancestors are like us with differing opinions.

My point is in these types of views, "god" (place holder) is a friend not someone to obey. If the christian god was a friend, then he would appreciate his creation worships him in different ways and as skittles come in different colors.

Likd a friend, he would express disagreements. As a friend, he would accept his friend even if He disagrees.

shmogie

Nope. Can't turn the word Qadesh into homosexual, no matter how hard you try. :) Can't turn the word arsenokoites into homosexual, no matter how hard you try.

I don't have to try, thousands of the most learned ancient Greek translators and linguists, as well as ditto for Hebrew, have made the issue so very clear.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
@shmogie

This is a touchy subject for me. I dont mind christians saying they dont like my hair color. When they speak for god and thereby judge my heart, I have issues with that.

It reminds me of thr middle ages and colonizations and conversions etc. People should follow their heart. Scripture should be a commentary but never a replacement for your relationship with god himself.

shmogie

Thats really sad for christian homosexuals, though. A lot of gay/lesbian/bi christians try to change themselves, thinking that when god sees them with their husband or wife, he sees trash.

Thr mindset of a heterosexual couple and homosexual couple in holy matrimony are no different.

Its the christian god that sees sin in one couples heart and blessings in the other.

I never liked the christian stance on interpreting how god judges a couples heart based on what they read.

Its better to ask the couple, accept they have a relationship with god "and" their partner, and if god sees trash in their actions thats on god.

I just wish some christians would be more civil about a homosexual couples hearts. They dont have to agree but they dont have to condomn a homosexual just because he is one rather than be against All people-straight/gay/bi-who sin.

I have been lesbian for almost twenty yeara before my first crush ans two more years before my first girlfriend (real girlfriend not like people in scripture who mated in lust). Im still lesbian and I havent dated in I dont know how long.

Just by saying "I am lesbian" and if I coupled that with "I am christian" makes peoples heads turn.

And I did nothing.

We need to be careful with defining a person by what they read. Ask them. They may not be able to physically love their mate as christians, but many gay/lesbian/bi christia. couples have been together and "marred" for years in god's grace.

But Im not a christian and I dont believe in "a higher power/s" that require my worship. I have a interrelationship with my ancestors and spirits so I can say no. That doesnt mean I am direspecting them, it just means we are all different and all have our ways of expressing love etc with each other.

Pagans define their gods as not being superior over others but have their own personalities.

The spirits have their own personalities though are not worshiped as deities.

Ancestors are like us with differing opinions.

My point is in these types of views, "god" (place holder) is a friend not someone to obey. If the christian god was a friend, then he would appreciate his creation worships him in different ways and as skittles come in different colors.

Likd a friend, he would express disagreements. As a friend, he would accept his friend even if He disagrees.
Gods didn't create us as we are, we have become what we are. It wasn't Gods fault, he gave us free will, and it was abused. The result of these choices is that none of us is in harmony with God, we lie, cheat, steal..................all of us sin. if God didn't love us, all of us, humanity would have been obliterated a long time ago. Instead, he gave us a way to become harmonious with him. and the way is Jesus Christ. However, he doesn't save us in our sinfulness, he saves from our sinfulness. Christ's way of salvation is for every human being, but he said if we are going to follow him, we must pick up and carry our own cross. Meaning, along with other things, that we must refute sin in our lives, which can be extremely difficult. We don't become perfect, we are perfect through him and by him. I didn't decide what sin would be, Christ and the Apostles defined it. They defined the way to be saved from it, .they defined the way to once again come into harmony with God

shmogie

@shmogie

This is a touchy subject for me. I dont mind christians saying they dont like my hair color. When they speak for god and thereby judge my heart, I have issues with that.

It reminds me of thr middle ages and colonizations and conversions etc. People should follow their heart. Scripture should be a commentary but never a replacement for your relationship with god himself.
Christians have no right or responsibility to apply in any way, the Biblical standard to someone outside the church, it is flat out wrong, and those who do it should know better. In any case, only God can judge the heart, we see actions, he see's motives.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Gods didn't create us as we are, we have become what we are. It wasn't Gods fault, he gave us free will, and it was abused. The result of these choices is that none of us is in harmony with God, we lie, cheat, steal..................all of us sin. if God didn't love us, all of us, humanity would have been obliterated a long time ago. Instead, he gave us a way to become harmonious with him. and the way is Jesus Christ. However, he doesn't save us in our sinfulness, he saves from our sinfulness. Christ's way of salvation is for every human being, but he said if we are going to follow him, we must pick up and carry our own cross. Meaning, along with other things, that we must refute sin in our lives, which can be extremely difficult. We don't become perfect, we are perfect through him and by him. I didn't decide what sin would be, Christ and the Apostles defined it. They defined the way to be saved from it, .they defined the way to once again come into harmony with God

I understand. I honestly do not believe any of that. What I do believe is everyone of all faiths and colors of the rainbow (no pun) should not be separated; no "separate but equal" type of thing.

I have no inherited sin so salvation means nothing for me.

I just see people belittled and religious and personal values put down by higher authority. Talking for god has been done for years and I see it as a political move to keep order in our society.

But take out religion, we would still be here. God is not separate from us. God is life.

As such, who we are gay/bi/lesbian/straight/etc are not a product of sin...we are blessings and a product of life. Thank the earth. Thank the water. The air. The heat.

But creator doesnt figure in my head. If one did, he would be my equal not m "savior".

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I am not "against" homosexuality in general I have no responsibility to judge
But you have stated you wont associate with homosexuals and they cannot be your best friend. That alone means you are judging, and you are taking up responsibility to judge. By saying you won't associate with someone for reason x, you are judging. Yes, we all have types we won't associate with. The last person I declared that I won't associate with was a violent criminal who had no remorse and no desire to change his ways. It wasn't over something trivial or petty like a sexual orientation, but that he has no qualms about admitting he is a felon who has a gun because he needs it because he runs with some pretty nasty groups. In that case, even my own safety can be compromised. With homosexuals, there is no threat, no danger, no reason to believe or assume their may be violence via mere association.
a believer can not be a practicing homosexual and be a church member
And I know some priests and pastors that would disagree with you. As a matter of fact, it was a homosexual-affirming priest and his wife who made me see the error of my former ways, which were a very deep mistrust and hatred of Christians and Christianity. When this priest invited me to dinner with his family, even though I am not a Christian, I am who I am, and even though I was just putting down "someone else's stick to poke them with," I sat with him and his family, broke bread, and learned a very crucial and very important lesson in life. I remember, very clearly, when at a neo-Pagan/metaphysical shop when the owner said she hired a Christian to be her assistant, like just about everyone else, I was essentially no different than a cat arching the back, hissing, and hair standing on end. But as I got to know her, my bitterness towards Christians became less hostile. I talked music with the children of the priest and his wife. I met the priest, and I thought he was a really cool and good guy. We had dinner together, and they paid. We were polar opposites on the spiritual scale, yet there we were, enjoying each others company, being friendly, and religion, sexuality, gender, nothing of such a sort was significant or important.
Basically, to cut a long story short, I would still have a vile hostility towards Christians had it not been for a Christian who not only showed me what Jesus taught, but also treated me in a manner that Jesus taught. I hated your religion because of people like you, until I met that Christian family who showed me Christianity isn't just hating homosexuals, burning witches, and playing a non-existent victim card. Of course I am not a Christian, but I am never-the-less invited and welcomed to this priest's church as a friend. No hostility, no challenges, no questions, but a fellowship with other humans as Christ intended. We don't all agree, but why does that mean we can't be civil towards each other?

It is very simple, I have read most of what has been posted, this study, that study, this view, that view, all very interesting.
If you had actually read them, it would show. But that you ask the same question, the same questions that imply ignorance in the face of enlightenment, we all have a very good reason to doubt you. You had the answer that it isn't 100% known why someone is hetero-or-homosexual, but the research clearly shows a very strong genetic link. We have shown you that clearly there is very much indeed a genetic link, yet you still ask why. We have shown you evidence that it is not a choice, yet you still condemn. The priest I previously mentioned lost a chunk of his congregation when he began to openly allow homosexuals into his congregation. But the way he saw it, that was just weeding out those who did not see us all as children of God, it was getting rid of the hypocrites, and cleansing his church of those who missed the point of what Jesus was teaching.
So I beseech you, whom should I believe? The one who says they won't even associate with homosexuals, or the one who does associate with them and who does suffer a witch to live? The one who says "you can't be my best friend," or the one who says "of course you are welcome."? The one who excludes, or the who includes? Who, honestly, is more Christlike?