• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Being Gay Ok If You're Born That Way?

rojse

RF Addict
Preying mantises do that, too (I think).

It is survival. It decreases the amount of competitors for food, and increases the chances that their young will survive.

rojse

RF Addict
I am saying that homosexuality cannot be merely a behavioral abnormality for people if many other species also participate in this practice.

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
I think as long as you are comfortable with who you are... it doesn't matter. I don't care if you are gay or whatever... if you are what you are and can accept that, I will too! :)

Many are born into or as something, but grow out of it. What does that OP question have to do with being gay? Gay by birth or gay by choice, I'm okay with it if the person saying they are is okay with it as well...

-Straight White Republican Boy.... Comet

Jeremiah

If all the bigots got left to to call homosexuals; murders, rapist, child molester...

Than I consider you the animal and myself the human, because my higher expectation of morality separates us.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
If all the bigots got left to to call homosexuals; murders, rapist, child molester...

Than I consider you the animal and myself the human, because my higher expectation of morality separates us.

It is my hope that everyone here at RF aspires to be human and not animal like.

I have no problem with Gay people. My daughter-in-law has an uncle who is Gay and he comes over to our house for diner at least once a week. He is a blast to be around. My daughter has a best friend who is openly gay. He was at the house tonight.

I see no conflict with my religion and who I spend time with. It is when I hear folks suggest we should change our beliefs to accommodate them, I get on shaky ground. I feel there needs to be rights for EVERYONE.

I am all for civil unions, but I am not about to rewrite the bible or ignore what is written. I just don't get all tore up about it. It's not a Christian's job to judge. We should treat everyone like we want to be treated and leave the judgement to our maker.

Jeremiah

It is my hope that everyone here at RF aspires to be human and not animal like.

I have no problem with Gay people. My daughter-in-law has an uncle who is Gay and he comes over to our house for diner at least once a week. He is a blast to be around. My daughter has a best friend who is openly gay. He was at the house tonight.

I see no conflict with my religion and who I spend time with. It is when I hear folks suggest we should change our beliefs to accommodate them, I get on shaky ground. I feel there needs to be rights for EVERYONE.

I am all for civil unions, but I am not about to rewrite the bible or ignore what is written. I just don't get all tore up about it. It's not a Christian's job to judge. We should treat everyone like we want to be treated and leave the judgement to our maker.

The Bible also says homosexuals should be put to death. Do we ignore that?

Vassal

The Bible also says homosexuals should be put to death. Do we ignore that?
Yes and no.

The Old Testament (or covenant, they are synonyms) was to show how God expects us to behave and to show how serious sin is. God takes sin very seriously and this is why it is punishable by death. However, no human is capable of living up to such standards so God established the New Testament. God came to Earth and took the punishment of sin upon himself so that instead of being condemned by the law people could be made righteous through faith in God. God's moral stands did not change, only the way in which people are made acceptable to God, which is through Christ Jesus.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Is Being Gay Ok If You're Born That Way?
I would go one step "farther" and say it is okay even if you preferred a particular gender in a past life.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
It is true that it says nothing about it or any other sexual acts for that matter in the New Testament. Why do you think I am so uncertain about it? ;)

Fluffy

A fool
Mestemia,
I agree that the Bible says that homosexual sex is wrong.
Fluffy said:
Firstly, the majority of Christians do not see homosexuality as a sin. They view sex between members of the same sex as a sin.

Homosexual can be used to refer to both sex and the sexuality but the sexuality is entirely absent from the Bible and, additionally, some of those places in the Bible that condemn homosexual sex implicitly suggest that those committing it are not homosexual but heterosexual.

I don't see how you can equate thinking of having sex with someone of the same sex with homosexuality. There are a host of exceptions. For example, opportunistic rapists.

MdmSzdWhtGuy

I fail to see how this is an example. Explain yourself please before I post on my assumptions.

I am not Fluffy, but I happen to know the answer to this one. Think about a prison setting, for instance. Lots of "straight" guys in prison resort to sex with a man because that is all that is available, and some of these folks prey on weaker, often young males as victims of their "opportunist rapes" even tho the agressor is not, while on the outside, a gay man.

B.

kadzbiz

Okay, now I understand. I've often wondered what such men think about their rapes or consensual sex with other men once they are free men.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I have heard nightmare type stories from the wives of husbands who were abusive to them yet an upstanding member of the Church. Abusing one's spouse is a sin and against bible teaching, and it seems it is an overlooked sin. I can name a lot of examples of overlooked sins including gossip (which is bearing false witness), men looking lustfully at the women in a congregation-I have heard women talk about this one a lot (which is adultery in one's heart), and many other things. Granted, no one is perfect, but it seems a double standard to me.

Aqualung

Tasty
This thread is an offshoot of the "Why Is It Ok To Be Fat But Not Gay?" thread. I thought we'd continue the discussion heading in another direction.

In the days the books of the bible were written science had obviously not yet advanced to the point of knowing that obesity can be genetically passed down. As is true today, there had to have been people in biblical times who might have been accused of gluttony yet were predisposed to obesity because of genetics.....it wasn't their fault.

Because we now know that obesity can be inherited, perhaps society has cut some slack to the culpability of the obese person....they are born that way.

If science discovers that homosexuality is genetically determined, would this change how Christians view gays? Is it not their fault because they are born that way?

So, this is based on a thread that states that being fat is okay but shouldn't be? Okay, I'll run with that. I'll create a reason why being fat isn't okay - your body is a temple and should be treated thusly. Sure, some people have a genetic predisposition to food addiction or low metabolism or whatever, but that doesn't make them exempt from eternal principles. In the same manner, just because somebody has some sort of genetic predisposition to being homosexual, that doesn't make them exempt from eternal principles, either. It just makes it harder for them to follow X eternal priniciple, but everybody has some sort of physical defect that makes it hard for them to follow some sort of eternal principle. Nobody is exempt from laws just because they're difficult. So, long anser short, it wouldn't change my view.