• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Being Gay Ok If You're Born That Way?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Thanks for your answers Dawny but my point about obesity and morbid obesity in the other thread was to prove the point that in America.....people can weigh 300, 400 or more pounds and you won't hear sermons or admonitions about obese people going to hell. You do believe people can be gluttonous and that it's sin, right?

Truly, I know what your point is/was. I responded to that bit because I thought you were insinuating that gluttony and obesity are one in the same.

I do believe that certain behaviors which contribute to obesity are sinful but being obese isn't necessarily sinful.

Yes, I believe that gluttony is a sin.

If someone is morbidly obese....they are gluttonous almost always. I don't mean to sound rude but it's truly the case.

Thanks, Rhonda. I AM morbidly obese. I appreciate you making assumptions about my life and the circumstances surrounding my weight. How on earth would you know whether or not I'm gluttonous?

I love you dearly but that kind of hurts.

This thread is dealing with genetics and I probably should have left the obesity angle out of the OP...guess it was too fresh in my mind.

Why? In my opinion, there's similarities between the two topics.

I don't believe that it is a sin to BE obese any more than I believe it's a sin to BE homosexual. The behaviors of obese individuals and homosexuals can be sinful.

What do you think of the question in post 84?

I'll go check it out.:)

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Thanks, Rhonda. I AM morbidly obese. I appreciate you making assumptions about my life and the circumstances surrounding my weight. How on earth would you know whether or not I'm gluttonous?

I love you dearly but that kind of hurts.
Dawny....I'm sorry. I think most people know I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. You're the first who's expressed any sensitivity.

It's simply elementary that most people who are overweight eat too much and exercise too little. I've certainly been there and I have no problem with the equation. :shrug:

athanasius

Oh, I love green eyes. :D

Seriously though....you need to work on changing your eyes to brown because having green eyes is a sin. Don't you know that?

Do you see my point? Don't bring up alcoholics. Don't bring up rapists, child molestors or adulterers. Don't bring up murderers. It's an insult to lump them in the same category as gays.

If scientists determine that homosexuality is designed exactly the same way your eye color is, how can that be wrong and sinful?

First of all. I do into lump them into the same category and I already explained the connection I make to them to the previous gentlemen in my prior post #69. Having green eyes is in no way similar to being born with homosexual tendencies. In our View having homosexual tendencies even if it was genetic is not a sin or horrible thing at all, its a cross to bear. Just like having genetic tendencies to be alcoholic is not a bad things nor makes you a bad person, its just your cross. But even though they both are genetic, acting on them and promoting them as acceptable lifestyles is not right and is seen as sinful and quite dangerous to Catholics. Now being born with green eyes no way harms myself or others. I cannot act on having green eyes like a person with same sex attraction or achololics can act on their tendencies. But as I have said before the person with homosexual tendencies can act on his genetic tendency and it can be harmful(at least spiritually and sometimes physically). So you cannot equate my eyes with this, but there can be a comparison to alcoholism and predatory tendencies, both of which are seen to be mental genetic attractions and both of which seem to be disordered psychological desires and results of theological concupiscence's. and both are harmful if acted on just like homosexual tendencies can be in the Catholic churches teaching. God and his Church never condemned having green eyes, But he and His Church condemned and currently condemn homosexual practice as mortally sinful. So again to a devout Catholic who follows church teaching, even if homosexual tendency is found to be genetic based, it would still never be acceptable as a lifestyle for us.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Oh, I love green eyes. :D

Seriously though....you need to work on changing your eyes to brown because having green eyes is a sin. Don't you know that?

Do you see my point? Don't bring up alcoholics. Don't bring up rapists, child molestors or adulterers. Don't bring up murderers. It's an insult to lump them in the same category as gays.

If scientists determine that homosexuality is designed exactly the same way your eye color is, how can that be wrong and sinful?

It may be insulting but if you're one who views rape, molestation, adultery and sexual acts that are not pleasing to God to be examples of sin...than it all can be lumped under a category...SIN.

We may view some sin to be nastier than other sin but in God's eyes...anything that is unclean by any sort of sin...cannot appear before Him.

People have the ability to make choices. We have free will. One may have the urge to rape or commit adultery or have same sex relations...but they CHOOSE whether or not they follow through with their desires.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
It may be insulting but if you're one who views rape, molestation, adultery and sexual acts that are not pleasing to God to be examples of sin...than it all can be lumped under a category...SIN.

We may view some sin to be nastier than other sin but in God's eyes...anything that is unclean but any sort of sin...cannot appear before Him.

People have the ability to make choices. We have free will. One may have the urge to rape or commit adultery or have same sex relations...but they CHOOSE whether or not they follow through with their desires.
Can you change your eye color?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Dawny....I'm sorry. I think most people know I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. You're the first who's expressed any sensitivity.

It's simply elementary that most people who are overweight eat too much and exercise too little. I've certainly been there and I have no problem with the equation. :shrug:

No hard feelings, Rhonda.

I'm a open book and will talk openly and honestly about my life to anyone who asks.

I'm not a glutton.

Jeremiah

First of all. I do into lump them into the same category and I already explained the connection I make to them to the previous gentlemen in my prior post #69. Having green eyes is in no way similar to being born with homosexual tendencies.

A genetic trait is a genetic trait is a genetic trait.

If homosexuality is a genetic trait and geen eyes are a genetic trait....."no way similar"?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Explain to me how behavior is the same thing as eye color?
I keep trying to make the same point and I am very perplexed as to why it's so difficult to understand....not just for you but for all the Christians in this thread.

If being gay were determined or genetically designed much the same way as eye color, how could it be considered wrong? Do you see the correlation? There is nothing you can do about your eye color. Just like if it's determined that sexual preference is designed in much the same way you can't change that either.

athanasius

A genetic trait is a genetic trait is a genetic trait.

If homosexuality is a genetic trait and geen eyes are a genetic trait....."no way similar"?

clearly you didn't post the rest of my comments because they show why. Your just using cheap out of context debating tactics. Post the rest of my answer for all to see why.

But even though you harbor anger towards me I still love you my brother. God bless you always in Mary's mantle, I hope to one day see you in heaven (If I get there myself),

Athanasius

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I find that mindset horrifying. I sincerely do.

But it's His mindset because it's the mindset of the Church and ultimately the mindset of God.

Remember, Christians are not to live a life to glorify man. We are to abandon the flesh which means for many of us...sacrificing things that we lust for and desire after.

It's not easy. It wasn't meant to be easy.

athanasius

Explain to me how behavior is the same thing as eye color?

Dawney they are trying to bate you with a argument that doesn't work. Your right. Check out my post# 126 which answers this fallicle argument quite well. God bless you dawn,

In Jesus through mary,
Athanaius

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Dawney they are trying to bate you with a argument that doesn't work. Your right. Check out my post# 126 which answers this fallicle argument quite well. God bless you dawn,

In Jesus through mary,
Athanaius
Yeah, I'm trying to bait Dawny.......:rolleyes: It's an honest question.

athanasius

But it's His mindset because it's the mindset of the Church and ultimately the mindset of God.

Remember, Christians are not to live a life to glorify man. We are to abandon the flesh which means for many of us...sacrificing things that we lust for and desire after.

It's not easy. It wasn't meant to be easy.

Amen!:yes: