• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Being Gay Ok If You're Born That Way?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Evelyn,

Since athanasius took off before answering my question, could you answer post number 84? Just substitute your eye color for blue. :D

Evelyn

Did you read the article? Giraffes seem to be doing fine survival wise....that is unless man kills them off.
I've read something similar to it. What you didn't mention (not intentionally I'm sure) is that they are giraffes with that display homosexual "activities" (as the scientist noted) not that they are literally homosexual giraffes. Which means they might fool around with a male giraffe but still mate with a female one. ;)
I'm talking about the evolutionary aspect you brought up.
Well, you are the one using giraffes as examples to establish a moral norm. :shrug:
How do we establish morals?
You want to talk about that in this thread?

lunamoth

Will to love
Ok, but my question is assuming it was a choice, how does that take away anything in your opinion?

I think the idea of choice makes a difference. I don't know if being gay is determined mainly by genes, environment, whatever...it's almost certainly a complex behavior (like most sexual and other human behaviors) that is not going to be easily understood. And I also agree with you Evelyn, that it does not matter whether we conclude that it is nature vs. nurture because we don't base our behaviors on those of animals. We are humans.

But the overwhelming majority of folks I've know who are gay say they are only attracted to people of the same sex and it is not a matter of choice. Sexual acts aside, this comes down to a matter of relationships and whether or not one is able to form an intimate bond, a marriage-type bond, with another person. To say a person can't ever form that kind of relationship with a person they are attracted to is taking away an important part of their life, and I don't see how anyone can, on the sole basis of "God say so," take that away from anyone.

Sure, some people might claim that they can only be "intimate" with children or animals and that is 'natural' for them. But these are not consenting adult relationships...there is always an aspect of posessiveness, control, taking what does not belong to you, when one party is not an adult human able to give consent.

I might, of course be wrong. But it seems to me that if there is any question we need to err on the side of empathy, kindness, and compassion.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
To go slightly off topic-- God can help a person to change with His help, but the person has to be willing for change. And why would someone change if they don't believe they are doing wrong?
God convicts people if they are sinning, a person will know if he/she is sinning because God will tell them, not in words but by feeling. If you believe you are doing something wrong deep down then you will know that it may be wrong. (I am not talking about being gay, btw, but am talking in general terms.)

shadow_fire

I think the idea of choice makes a difference. I don't know if being gay is determined mainly by genes, environment, whatever...it's almost certainly a complex behavior (like most sexual and other human behaviors) that is not going to be easily understood. And I also agree with you Evelyn, that it does not matter whether we conclude that it is nature vs. nurture because we don't base our behaviors on those of animals. We are humans.

But the overwhelming majority of folks I've know who are gay say they are only attracted to people of the same sex and it is not a matter of choice. Sexual acts aside, this comes down to a matter of relationships and whether or not one is able to form an intimate bond, a marriage-type bond, with another person. To say a person can't ever form that kind of relationship with a person they are attracted to is taking away an important part of their life, and I don't see how anyone can, on the sole basis of "God say so," take that away from anyone.

Sure, some people might claim that they can only be "intimate" with children or animals and that is 'natural' for them. But these are not consenting adult relationships...there is always an aspect of posessiveness, control, taking what does not belong to you, when one party is not an adult human able to give consent.

I might, of course be wrong. But it seems to me that if there is any question we need to err on the side of empathy, kindness, and compassion.

You win the internet!

I'm gonna go now, c yah. If you guys/gals have any questions/replies to anything I said you can pm them to me.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Thanks for your answers Dawny but my point about obesity and morbid obesity in the other thread was to prove the point that in America.....people can weigh 300, 400 or more pounds and you won't hear sermons or admonitions about obese people going to hell. You do believe people can be gluttonous and that it's sin, right?

If someone is morbidly obese....they are gluttonous almost always. I don't mean to sound rude but it's truly the case.

This thread is dealing with genetics and I probably should have left the obesity angle out of the OP...guess it was too fresh in my mind.

What do you think of the question in post 84?

standing_alone

Of course not, but in order for the species to continue they'd have to play as heterosexuals to make it work. That is if technology isn't involved.

Well, they could have intercourse with another of the opposite sex for the sake of reproduction and then go right back to their preferred relations with those of the same.

j dik

you are only born gay or straight. Sexual perference is not a decision. I didn't one day decide to myself, "hey, I like girls!" It's what comes naturally to you, your instincts. "Hey, tits and *** turn me on and I cant help it. I'm straight." That's more like it. If sexual preference was a decision, then I'd be scared for myself because I've changed my mind on a few things throughout my life.

Evelyn

Right, that's what I was trying to say.
It would be a heavy burden I imagine. But "God said so" is all I got. :shrug:

I can't empathize with something I am not. I can though sympathize. But you are right it's entirely based on my beliefs.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I've read something similar to it. What you didn't mention (not intentionally I'm sure) is that they are giraffes with that display homosexual "activities" (as the scientist noted) not that they are literally homosexual giraffes. Which means they might fool around with a male giraffe but still mate with a female one. ;)
and go right back to their male preferences. That makes them at least bi doesn't it?

You want to talk about that in this thread?
Not really. But, I already know that you are going to say that all morality is based on what God thinks. :D