• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Being Gay Ok If You're Born That Way?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I stopped there because I don't think the answer wouldn't impress you. That, and as I said "hurt" is subjective in that is fully dependant upon a person's morals/ethical system.
Not really. Most people have the same idea of what hurting another means. Go ahead.

standing_alone

To disagree? I always saw it more like a means to understand each other. I'm sure some people enjoy tearing others down but I want nothing to do with that.

Well, it's the disagreement on certain points that allows people to explain their views so we can attempt to understand those views and why they are held. I don't think disagreement necessarily equates to "tearing others down."

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Oh, I love green eyes. :D

Seriously though....you need to work on changing your eyes to brown because having green eyes is a sin. Don't you know that?

Do you see my point? Don't bring up alcoholics. Don't bring up rapists, child molestors or adulterers. Don't bring up murderers. It's an insult to lump them in the same category as gays.

If scientists determine that homosexuality is designed exactly the same way your eye color is, how can that be wrong and sinful?

Evelyn

Well, it's the disagreement on certain points that allows people to explain their views so we can attempt to understand those views and why they are held. I don't think disagreement necessarily equates to "tearing others down."
That's a good point. I just honestly don't think there is anything fruitful that will come of continuing it beyond that point.

We shall see.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Ok, I warned you. :)

The simple answer is that it hurts God and it hurts the evolutionary possibilities for survival if technology fails on us.
Sheeesh, I can handle that. :p No biggie.

Did you see my post on gay giraffes? How does that fit in your evolutionary pattern?

Jeremiah

As already mentioned spiritually it is harmful and considered a mortal sin in the catholic church to engage in these activities. So your eternal soul is on line here and that is one way how it can be harmful,just as harmful as being a alcoholic. That should be enough to settle the question for Catholics at least.

That is not a definitive answer. All you are saying is that it is harmful yet provide no reason why.

But ask any doctor, I have, and they will tell you that the anus is not meant or constructed physically to be penetrated by a penis. It can cause a host of problems down the road for both persons. So many doctors(including the doctor from loveline on MTV) argue that type of behavior that can be hurtful to a guy or gal.

We are talking about being gay not anal sex.

shadow_fire

The thread question was asking if it was proven that people don't choose to be gay would the churches go easier on gays. So I provided some (relative) proof that it is genetic.

I don't see how anyone with any sense can think that someone chooses a sexual attraction, seems pretty dumb.

How would choosing it take anything away from it?

Evelyn

Sheeesh, I can handle that. :p No biggie.

Did you see my post on gay giraffes? How does that fit in your evolutionary pattern?
Perfectly. If the gay features (be it genes or whatever is determined), what chances do they have to survive?

Besides, since when do we establish our morality on animal behaivor? ;)

Chimps throw poo on each other, but we certainly aren't having that conversation are we? :D

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
As is true today, there had to have been people in biblical times who might have been accused of gluttony yet were predisposed to obesity because of genetics.....it wasn't their fault.

I don't feel that gluttony and obesity are one in the same.

Even if one were a "genetic glutton", this wouldn't excuse one from gluttony. An overeater who overeats in a jealous, barbaric manner BECAUSE they've inherited a trait which gives them the desire to eat in such a manner is still responsible for their behavior. They can choose to fight the impulse to eat in such a way.

Because we now know that obesity can be inherited, perhaps society has cut some slack to the culpability of the obese person....they are born that way.

I'm obese, Rhonda and from what I've witnessed in my own life ...society rarely cuts the obese individual any slack. It's evident by the society standard of beauty that is continously shoved in our faces.

Whether I was born with a genetic predisposition to obesity or not...society is surely under no obligation to cut me any slack. Models continue to be incredibly tall and thin and rare is the overweight model. Society does not warmly embrace the overweight/embrace woman as someone beautiful and trendy.

If science discovers that homosexuality is genetically determined, would this change how Christians view gays? Is it not their fault because they are born that way?

it wouldn't change how I view homosexuality as a whole and it wouldn't change how I view my own sexuality either.

It doesn't matter to me WHY I'm bisexual. If it's genetic, environmental or a combo of many things...I am who I am and I'm responsible for my own actions.

There's no sin in BEING bisexual or gay or transgendered in heart and mind. The sin is to actively pursue and exercise sinful behavior.

Evelyn

The thread question was asking if it was proven that people don't choose to be gay would the churches go easier on gays. So I provided some (relative) proof that it is genetic.

I don't see how anyone with any sense can think that someone chooses a sexual attraction, seems pretty dumb.
Ok, but my question is assuming it was a choice, how does that take away anything in your opinion?

Jeremiah

Ok, I warned you. :)

The simple answer is that it hurts God and it hurts the evolutionary possibilities for survival if technology fails on us.

We have the power to hurt God? What his feelings?

6,602,224,175 That's a lot of baby making power.

Jeremiah

Perfectly. If the gay features (be it genes or whatever is determined), what chances do they have to survive?

Yes my male features works and I could use it to make babies.

If God made gays than he must have done it for a reason yes? :yes:

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Did you read the article? Giraffes seem to be doing fine survival wise....that is unless man kills them off.

Besides, since when do we establish our morality on animal behaivor? ;)
I'm talking about the evolutionary aspect you brought up.

How do we establish morals?

shadow_fire

You are the one that said:
then someone to say to me that I chose to be gay is just a slap to the face.

Why would choosing be a slap in the face?

Ah, I see what you mean.

Its just a slap in the face that someone would say I chose to be gay, when I had to go through a good amount of hardships to come out of the closet. Especially when I know that if I had a "choice" I would of chose to be straight a long time ago. (Although its worth noting that I'm happy with myself right now, and wouldn't "choose" to be straight even if I could at this point)