• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Christianity based upon Pagan ideas?

LittleNipper

Even though Paganism was around for thousands of years BEFORE christianity. Even though almost every major event in the Bible was stolen from sort of Pagan belief. Right Paganism is the copcat/distortion of the truth. :facepalm:

The Old Testament of the Bible has been around thousands of years. Paganism is not true. The Bible is true. Paganism is based on an assumption that men can save themselves and become gods.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
The Old Testament of the Bible has been around thousands of years. Paganism is not true. The Bible is true. Paganism is based on an assumption that men can save themselves and become gods.

Yes, that's EXACTLY what paganism is all about... becoming gods... certainly not about becoming closer to the nature both within and without the self....

:facepalm:

Mr Cheese

Paganism is about being hairy and stuff

wickerman-pagans.jpg

Bware

I'm the Jugganaut!!
The Old Testament of the Bible has been around thousands of years. Paganism is not true. The Bible is true.
Paganism is based on an assumption that men can save themselves and become gods.[/quote]
And nearly every event in the Old Testament was plagaurized from some sort of Pagan belief that was already in existance. And on what basis do you make the claim that the Bible is true? Before you answer, remember that quoting passages from the Bible doesn't make the Bible true, it just shows that those passages are still in the Bible. Did we recently find evidence that that a single story in the Bible actually happened? Give me a link please.
Paganism is based on an assumption that men can save themselves and become gods.
And also a link that shows where Paganism shows that men can save themselves and become gods? You obviously have no idea what Paganism or Christianity are about. If you do then show me a reason to think otherwise. :slap:

Circle_One

When the wicked are being confounded, call me amongst the blessed. The quote is from Mozart's Requiem.

While the wicked stand confounded,
call me with they saints surrounded

Is the actual translation of my signature, and it's actually part of a strophe from a Latin religious hymn called Dies Irae, written by the Franciscan monk Thomas de Celano.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Just like Lucifer --------- I WILL...

Yes because there are all kinds of examples in the Bible of Lucifer attempting to become closer to his inner and outer nature. :rolleyes:

BTW, what planet was the Bible you're reading published on?

Oberon

LOL....uh...did you say..."some-what"?...Paul wrote some 50 years after Jesus died

Completely wrong. Paul wrote about 20-30 years after Jesus had died. And, more importantly, he joined the sect a few years after (as in around 4 or 5). His letters are THE EARLIEST christian texts we have.

...I would say more like "grossly" inaccurate, and that goes for the poker faced (but red nosed) :Didea that the NT was written in Greek, too!

Once again, you base the idea that the Pe****ta is not a translation on the greek on your wishes, not evidence. There is a mountain of scholarship by any number of aramaic and NT experts, which you ignore. Instead, you find a few non-experts who can at best read the texts, and use them over the massive numbers of far more qualified experts who disagree. Your desire predetermined the result.

especially when dear old Paul was making the whole thing up in his darling little head

"Yeah, '500' is a nice, round number...I think they'll fall for it...heh..heh"

Have you ever studied ancient texts? Even the best historians (like Thucydides) will exaggerate numbers. Paul is not the only one who attests to the experience of early follower of a risen Jesus. Maybe they were lying when they claimed they saw him, or delusional, or (for christians) actually seeing Jesus, but there is no doubt that a large number of early followers claimed to have experienced the risen Jesus.

I seriously doubt if THAT even occurred, as not a single oral or written word on the part of the participants has come down to us for THE single most important event in all of human history....nope...not gonna buy it....zilch....Certainly if you or I had had such a hallucinatory experience, we would have told at least 10 neighbors or so...but nada....as if it was all in a vacuum...a vacuum that exited in Paul's head, that is!

Paul's testimoney is the earliest we possess. It is earlier than any of the gospels. And although Paul is the only one who gives us the 500 number, it is clear from the gospels that there was a tradition of disciples experienceing the risen Jesus.

Sir, that is polite English tea time compared to the modern Christian vision of "washing in the blood of Jesus"..

This isn't a modern version. In fact, your quotation is of drinking the blood of the covenant.

Let's face it: the Crucifixion as a bloody affair...even to the last drop.

Yes, it is. But it was a roman form of torture, and how Jesus died. His death, and much more importantly his resurrection, are central to christianity.

I could not locate it, but I have somewhere in my library an old woodcut showing blood spurting from about 15 or 20 punctures in the body of Jesus as he hangs on the cross bleeding to death. All around him are the "faithful" with their mouths open, not missing a single drop!

Not a common christian theme. And drinking the blood of Jesus, as grotesque as it may be when one steps back and thinks on it, is (even if you consider it more grotesque) not akin to bathing in the blood of a bull.

Ah, so the doctrine was deliberately contrived! Hmmmm? This is sounding more and more like someone was trying to turn a bloody political affair into a religious one.

Politics and religions were not differentiated in the ancient world, and certainly not for the Jews of Jesus' day. Jesus made messianic claims, which were at the same time political AND religious, and died for them. Later, his death was reinterpreted (for whatever reason) not as the failure of a would-be messiah, but as the success of a resurrected messiah.

Excuse me, but we are speaking about what people generally believe to be true, and the idea that Jesus himself said that his own blood was to be shed for the remission of sin is the general consensus.

You are conflating Jesus' sacrifice with the taurobolium, which is nothing like the Jesus' sacrifice. Even linking in the "eat of my flesh, and drink of my blood," this does not equate nor is it remotely alike sacrificing a bull and bathing in its blood.

I have described exactly what the Crucifixion was supposed to do, namely, to re-open the Gates of Paradise which Original Sin had closed for all mankind. What could be more important than that? Now tell me, and quit beating around the bush: of what importance is the resurrection to man, in comparison to the Crucifixion? As I suggested to you, it is but a fancy concoction to lend credence to the story. If you are sober, you can see right through it; unfortunately, Christians allow themselves to be drugged by the idea. A powerful narcotic, to be sure!

Plenty of would-be messiahs died. Paul, attesting to the earliest layer of christian tradition, says virtually nothing about the crucifixion, but does make it a point to mention that the resurrection is the basis for christian faith. He is echoed by later christians, and of course his letters formed part of the canon.

Jesus' suffering and death were both important for christian theology in that the represented his sacrifice for the sake of the world. However, they mean nothing if he did not rise, because he would be no different than plenty of other Jews (like John or other messianic hopefuls) who died at the hands of the romans.

In addition, the resurrection represents Jesus' messianic triumph. As the messiah, his job was to restore israel, and probably the davidic kingship line. He failed, as did all other messiahs. However, his followers (whether out of delusion or despair or out of genuine experience or some other reason) believed that he did not fail, but rather triumphed by rising from the dead and assuming the messianic throne of the heavenly, rather than earthly kingdom.

Uh...yes?...do go on....important?...how so?...that is, in Christian terms..as the discussion is in context, OK?

Once more, the resurrection is Jesus' success as a messiah. Rather than fulfilling what the messiah was supposed to do (restore Israel as the new davidic king) Jesus arose as the king of the new heavenly kingdom. Without the resurrection, he is a complete failure as a messiah. With it, he did not succeed in establishing what the messiah was thought to be supposed to establish, but he did (according to christian belief) establish what the messiah was supposed to establish according to christian reinterpretation.

According to Christian doctrine, the entire episode was staged by God the Father. Jesus KNEW he was to be crucified, as evinced by his passion in the Garden:

"Father, if you are willing, take this cup away from me. Yet not my will but yours be done."

Luke 22:42

You are missing my point again. According to apocalyptic and eschatological Jewish thought, the matrix from which christianity emerged, the messiah was supposed to restore the physical land of Israel, not die. Jesus DID die, but (again, for whatever reason) the messianic expectations were changed, and rather than restore a physical Israel/kingdom of YHWH, Jesus restored a spiritual realm and became the messiah of this realm via his resurrection.

Hearing voices is much more plausible than fleshy virgin births and resurrections, would'nt you say? Come, now!

Hearing voices is no more plausible than hallucinations. The idea that Allah spoke to muhammed is just as implausible as Jesus rising from the dead.

The point is that any sacrifice is made to please a potentially punishing deity. Ongoing sacrices are intended to keep the deity in good spirits, and you in his favor.

Pacification of deities is very different from absolution. Honoring and pacifying angry gods was the main reason for sacrifice in the Jewish, greek, and roman worlds. Absolution was much more rare.

i am afraid we will need to take up the matter in a separate topic; one that I will get around to posting, to discuss both Aramaic and Greek NT Primacy issues.

No problem. But I suggest you attempt to research the opposing view first, or at least find some actual scholarship (rather than a few people who happen to be able to read the pe****ta) before posting.

buzzardwhiskey

Of course. Christianity (and all Abrahamic faiths) are based on pagan (pagan meaning "country dweller") ideas. Christianity borrowed heavily from a wealth of Mediterranean area myths.

You might spend some time reading the Pagan Origins of the Christ Myth web site.

Christianity comes from the accumulation of legends and theologies by people who believed in Jesus. The origin of those ideas wasn't Jesus. The origin was the myths, legends, philosophies, prejudices, literature, superstitions, and primitive cosmology of ancient western culture. Christianity was a product of its time and place.

Last edited:

Oberon

Of course. Christianity (and all Abrahamic faiths) are based on pagan (pagan meaning "country dweller") ideas.

There are a couple problems with the above statement.

1. Both the christain bible and the Jewish sciptures are influenced by various pagan ideas, philosophy, cultures, worldviews, and so on. However, they are most certaintly not "based" on pagan ideas.
2. The latin paganus is NOT based on the usage of "country dweller." The etymology is disputed. I would assert (following a number of studies on the matter) that the most common usage of paganus simply meant "outsider" in a perjorative sense. However, it was also used in military circles to refer to civilians. The first christian usage, by Terullian (see De Corona militis), uses this definition. It appearts that both "country dweller" and "civilian" were secondary uses. However, it seems that the christian use of the term began by differentiating the "soldiers of christ" with the rest (i.e. paganus, those who were not soldiers of christ).

Christianity borrowed heavily from a wealth of Mediterranean area myths.

Yes and now. There are numerous parallels in the bible to other pagan myths. However, the most "christian" part of the bible (NT), while influenced in other ways from the hellenistic environment from which it origninated, did NOT borrow form pagan myth. Even later, most of the borrowing by early christians came from greco-roman philosphy, not greek myths.

You might spend some time reading the Pagan Origins of the Christ Myth web site.

Websites are a "last resort" source.
Christianity comes from the accumulation of legends and theologies by people who believed in Jesus. The origin of those ideas wasn't Jesus. The origin was the myths, legends, philosophies, prejudices, literature, superstitions, and primitive cosmology of ancient western culture. Christianity was a product of its time and place.

1. The origin of many aspects of the NT certainly come from Jesus.
2. Christianity was little influenced by mythoi of the greco-roman world.

Last edited:

buzzardwhiskey

My userstanding is that "heaven, hell, prophecy, daemon possession, sacrifice, initiation by baptism, communion with God through a holy meal, the Holy Spirit, monotheism, immortality of the soul, miracle working son of God, and born of a mortal woman" all come from various pre-Christian myths. One can take three (at least) tacks here...

1) These pre-Christian myths aren't real in an historic sense, or aren't similar enough to the Jesus story to lend cred to the "borrowed myths" idea.
2) God-men have a lot in common and thus the Jesus stories are bound to sound a lot like pre-Christian ideas of God.
3) The writers of the Bible were steeped in these pre-Christian myths and embellished their versions to lend God-like cred to Jesus.

I'll take the last one (mostly).

dogsgod

I think Christian mythology is based on Jewish mythology and that the story itself stems from a Persian method of storytelling, that of a good vs evil type theme that Jewish settlers brought back from Babylon after they were freed by the Persians.

dogsgod

Here is one example of a pagan parallel:

[SIZE=+1] [/SIZE]An example of a better attested parallel is the tradition that Dionysos turned water into wine at a wedding—his own, with Ariadne. This is mentioned by Walter Otto in his Dionysos: Myth and Cult, p.98, and is derived from Seneca's tragic play Oedipus. Thus there can be no doubt about this one being a legitimate parallel. Might the author of the Gospel of John have consciously copied this tradition in his similar miracle of the wedding at Cana? We don't know. The Dionysian myth is tied to the common claim that at festivals of Dionysos, wine would miraculously appear in empty vessels, or that water set out overnight would be changed to wine by morning.jesuspuzzle.com

Oberon

Here is one example of a pagan parallel:

An example of a better attested parallel is the tradition that Dionysos turned water into wine at a wedding—his own, with Ariadne. This is mentioned by Walter Otto in his Dionysos: Myth and Cult, p.98, and is derived from Seneca's tragic play Oedipus. Thus there can be no doubt about this one being a legitimate parallel. Might the author of the Gospel of John have consciously copied this tradition in his similar miracle of the wedding at Cana? We don't know. The Dionysian myth is tied to the common claim that at festivals of Dionysos, wine would miraculously appear in empty vessels, or that water set out overnight would be changed to wine by morning.jesuspuzzle.com

Really? Derived from Seneca's Oedipus? Interesting, as Seneca never mentions Ariadne at all, much less a marriage where Dionysus turns water into wine. So in which version of the myth DOES Dionysus do this? Or were you (or your source) simply making things up? Perhaps you can point to a line in any pre-christian texts in which Dionysus turns water into wine at a wedding.

Last edited:

godnotgod

Thou art That
Completely wrong. Paul wrote about 20-30 years after Jesus had died. And, more importantly, he joined the sect a few years after (as in around 4 or 5). His letters are THE EARLIEST christian texts we have.

20-30 is still a long time, if that is true. Add to that the fact that Paul was not a even a contemporary of Jesus.

Paul is not the only one who attests to the experience of early follower of a risen Jesus. Maybe they were lying when they claimed they saw him, or delusional, or (for christians) actually seeing Jesus, but there is no doubt that a large number of early followers claimed to have experienced the risen Jesus.

Where are their written accounts, or written testimony of their oral accounts? Again, this was the single most important event in the history of mankind, and we are expected to believe that the experiences of these so called 'witnesses' was in a complete vacuum? As for Paul's testimony, it cannot be deemed reliable. Remember, he was formerly the persecutor of Christians; guilt and fear are most likely his motives for some of his writings.

Paul's testimony is the earliest we possess. It is earlier than any of the gospels. And although Paul is the only one who gives us the 500 number, it is clear from the gospels that there was a tradition of disciples experiencing the risen Jesus.

Who knows what they experienced. As far as anyone knows, however, no one seems to have actually seen him ascend into Paradise. That idea is apparently based only on the fact (?) that the tomb was empty. It is a far cry to assume that he rose from the dead based on such scanty 'evidence'. Besides, humans don't come back to life once dead, let alone rise into the clouds.

This isn't a modern version. In fact, your quotation is of drinking the blood of the covenant.

Of course it is modern! Many, many Christians pride themselves on that idea. It is, of course, symbolic. The point is that blood is considered to be the life force, and the blood of someone who is thought to be divine is very powerful stuff....in the mind of the believer, of course, whether that blood is used to wash in or is drunk. Blood also has the power of creating bonds, in this case, to seal a covenant between man and God.

Yes, it is. But it was a roman form of torture, and how Jesus died. His death, and much more importantly his resurrection, are central to christianity.

It is as big a concoction as the parting of the Red Sea, the Deluge, turning water into wine, raising the dead, turning staffs into snakes, the virgin birth, etc. These false beliefs come out of the Sensation Center, coupled with the Power Center, and the Security Center. All three are the first three lowest levels of consciousness, otherwise known as Addictions. All three work together, and are motivated by Fear and Ignorance. Only when the Fourth Level is attained, that of Love, do the first three become transformed into Preferences. Men want to believe in such things because it satisfies their Metaphysical Anxiety, whether they are true or not. Men believe that their sin is washed away when they see images of Jesus hanging from the cross because that is what they have been taught: that Jesus was divine and that the shedding of his blood held certain powers. It is like voodoo: it all depends on the state of mind of the believer.

Not a common christian theme. And drinking the blood of Jesus, as grotesque as it may be when one steps back and thinks on it, is (even if you consider it more grotesque) not akin to bathing in the blood of a bull.

Don't you see? The fact that the theme of the Crucifixion is even associated with the activity of the drinking of his blood (directly from the wounds, even!) simply means that people believed his blood to have certain powers. One gains the benefit of those powers by either washing in the blood or drinking it. Actually, it is a very common Christian theme:

26While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, "Take and eat; this is my body."

27Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you. 28This is my blood of the[a] covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

Matthew 26:26

Christians not only symbolically drink the blood of the divine, but eat his flesh as well, every day, in the Catholic Mass, for one thing.

"The bull is seen as a symbol of Spring, of rebirth, and a very common carving is of Mithras cleansing himself in the blood of a bull. Ritual killing of bulls and washing in its blood was believed to be necessary for cleansing, eternal life and salvation. This was followed by a meal of the bulls flesh. Life anew could be created from the flesh and blood of the sacrificed bull. If a bull was not available a substitute was used by poorer congregations, such as a ram, bread or fish.
"The adherents of Mithras believed that by eating the bull's flesh and drinking its blood they would be born again, just as life itself has been created anew from the blood of the bull. Participation in this rite would give not only physical strength but lead to the immortality of the soul and to eternal light. Justin also mentioned the similarity between the Mithras ritual and the Eucharist"

"Jesus Versus Christianity" by Alfred Reynolds, p78

"According to the Mithraic myth, he would undergo a cultic transformation into a bull [or] a ram. He would be killed and his flesh and blood (or wine representing his blood) would be consumed by the faithful. The pictoral and sculpted scenes presenting this sacred meal were the ones which enraged Christian sensitivities, and many smashed-up Mithraeums show the traces of the fury of Christian iconoclasts. Tertullian [160CE-240CE] mentioned (De praescre., 40) this ritual of the Mithras which was a 'devilish imitation of the Eucharist'. He also mentions that the Mithraists enacted the resurrection."

"Jesus Versus Christianity" by Alfred Reynolds, p77

The Temple in Jerusalem had gutters built into the stone floor around the altar. Hundreds of sheep, cows, goats, and fowl were killed daily to appease the Jewish god, causing literal rivers of blood to flow from the Temple. Cleansing by blood was already an established part of Jewish tradition, but the blood of the Christ would put an end to this necessity, preached Paul.

Christianity became a synthesis of Mithraistic thought on eternal life gained from the blood of the sacrificed saviour (like a bull), the ultimate sacrifice, and Jewish rituals of ritual animal sacrifice. The cannabilistic elements of the Christian Communion, the Eucharist, and the imagery of the blood of Jesus washing away sins and granting eternal life (like Mithras), are all derived from this natural Roman merging of Judaism with Mithraism. The transformation of Mithras into a Bull or Ram which preceded the eating of his flesh and blood directly parallels the Christians Jesus' death and rebirth, his statement that his disciples should eat and drink his flesh and blood to wash away sin and gain eternal life."

The Problem of Paul

godnotgod

Thou art That
Politics and religions were not differentiated in the ancient world, and certainly not for the Jews of Jesus' day. Jesus made messianic claims, which were at the same time political AND religious, and died for them. Later, his death was reinterpreted (for whatever reason) not as the failure of a would-be messiah, but as the success of a resurrected messiah.

Of course. The story had to be re-told in such a way as to make it appear that Jesus was not only God in the flesh, but that his mission was a success, even though it was a failure:

"Jesus and his immediate followers were Pharisees. Jesus had no intention of founding a new religion. He regarded himself as the Messiah in the normal Jewish sense of the term, i.e. a human leader who would restore the Jewish monarchy, drive out the Roman invaders, set up an independent Jewish state, and inaugurate an era of peace, justice and prosperity (known as 'the kingdom of God,) for the whole world. Jesus believed himself to be the figure prophesied in the Hebrew Bible who would do all these things. He was not a militarist and did not build up an army to fight the Romans, since he believed that God would perform a great miracle to break the power of Rome. This miracle would take place on the Mount of Olives, as prophesied in the book of Zechariah. When this miracle did not occur, his mission had failed. He had no intention of being crucified in order to save mankind from eternal damnation by his sacrifice. He never regarded himself as a divine being, and would have regarded such an idea as pagan and idolatrous, an infringement of the first of the Ten Commandments."
The Problem of Paul

You are conflating Jesus' sacrifice with the taurobolium, which is nothing like the Jesus' sacrifice. Even linking in the "eat of my flesh, and drink of my blood," this does not equate nor is it remotely alike sacrificing a bull and bathing in its blood.

If bathing in the bull's blood were all there was to it, I would agree with you, but see my post above: the initiate also ate the bull's flesh and drank his blood to gain the benefits of the blood's power, for the same reason Christians do. The bull was a symbol of Spring and renewal; so was Jesus.

In addition, the resurrection represents Jesus' messianic triumph. As the messiah, his job was to restore israel, and probably the davidic kingship line. He failed, as did all other messiahs. However, his followers (whether out of delusion or despair or out of genuine experience or some other reason) believed that he did not fail, but rather triumphed by rising from the dead and assuming the messianic throne of the heavenly, rather than earthly kingdom.

...and by separating their view into two kingdoms is where they got it all wrong.

Once more, the resurrection is Jesus' success as a messiah. Rather than fulfilling what the messiah was supposed to do (restore Israel as the new davidic king) Jesus arose as the king of the new heavenly kingdom. Without the resurrection, he is a complete failure as a messiah. With it, he did not succeed in establishing what the messiah was thought to be supposed to establish, but he did (according to christian belief) establish what the messiah was supposed to establish according to christian reinterpretation.

....so the "Resurrection" had to be concocted in order to turn Jesus into a One of a Kind Special Case. That, too, is where they made their fatal mistake.

You are missing my point again. According to apocalyptic and eschatological Jewish thought, the matrix from which christianity emerged, the messiah was supposed to restore the physical land of Israel, not die. Jesus DID die, but (again, for whatever reason) the messianic expectations were changed, and rather than restore a physical Israel/kingdom of YHWH, Jesus restored a spiritual realm and became the messiah of this realm via his resurrection.

That may be so, but modern Christian doctrine states that the entire drama was choreographed by God the Father. Jesus, according to this doctrine, knew he was to die as the "Lamb of God" in order to save mankind from Original Sin. At least this is the doctrine I as a Catholic had pounded into me all through parochial school.

What "spiritual realm" would have been restored? Was Heaven ever in need of such restoration?

Hearing voices is no more plausible than hallucinations. The idea that Allah spoke to muhammed is just as implausible as Jesus rising from the dead.

No it is not. People hear voices they claim are from the world of the spirit all the time. That is the whole point of any religious endeavor: to establish union and communication with the world of the divine. This is commonplace reality. Virtually no one, however, claims to see people rising from the dead simply because it is not reality.

In the Zen temples there is a phenomenon known as makyo. In sesshin, intensive meditation sessions, students claim they have seen Jesus, Buddha, the Blessed Mary, etc.. face to face. The Zen Master listens to them, then quietly instructs them to return to their meditation mats and re-focus on their breath. These are hallucinations and not real visions.

Pacification of deities is very different from absolution. Honoring and pacifying angry gods was the main reason for sacrifice in the Jewish, greek, and roman worlds. Absolution was much more rare.

It is just a matter of degree. Both are intended to pacify a potentially punishing deity. One is just more imminent, that's all.

Last edited:

godnotgod

Thou art That

....and Christianity is based upon the assumption that men can save themselves, become gods, but still pretend that they aren't!....the ultimate game of hide and seek...peek a boo!

"Oh, NO, Lord!..Why, I would'nt even so much as THINK about sitting on YOUR throne! Nope! Not gonna let that happen. Now, you don't REALLY think that I....Oh, NO, NO, NO!...Heaven forbid!...Why, I was just...er....uh...well....uh....you see...uh...huh":no::yes::D