• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God A Bully?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

It was Lucifer's idea to enforce obedience upon all mankind. It was his opinion that by so doing, that not one soul would be lost. He said that he would surely do it, and demanded God to therefore give him His power. His idea was to deprive men of their agency and make them do his bidding whether they felt like it or not. This methodology however, would have negated the purpose of mortality, which is for men to prove themselves by acting of their own volition. Lucifer managed to draw away a third of God’s spirit children to his way of thinking, seeking to usurp God along the way. Therefore, they were cast out, having proven already that they were not worthy of greater power or authority, and were doomed to never receive a physical body and eventually to never have any contact or influence upon the rest of mankind.

The problem with what you are saying is that it doesn't actually say that in the Bible.

Also there is no Lucifer in Tanakh.

JoStories

[
Christians are probably the most guilty of engaging in religious violence with Muslims second, I agree. Jews not so much because most of the recorded violence in their holy book appears to be just made up.

interesting take Naz. That the violence in the Talmud/Tanakh is made up. I suppose. I think we both agree its allegorical and built on older myths anyway. Nice to see you sweetheart. I miss you!

JoStories

Because the way God is portrayed has tremendous effect on the follower's moral system.

I strongly disagree with you. I have known many people of many faiths and some were violent and some were not. The way God may or may not be portrayed has to be accepted by the reader and then interperted to mean that the particular passage means violence to that reader. Compare Phelps to any of the thousands of pacifist preachers in this country.

dave_

What do you mean when you say you like the dark side better? Because if I understand correctly, the reason you don't want to believe in God is because of his cruelty. Then what do you mean by dark side?

The darkside for me means individual power and liberation.

Last edited:

dave_

I am curious why you are so angry with something you claim not to believe in? And this dislike is very specific, IMO. If you do not believe in God why in the world would you think that deity could kidnap you and murder you. A strange dichotomy, this.

God may not exist out there but he exists in my mind as an idea.

That was a reference to charlie hebdo shooting.

JoStories

God may not exist out there but he exists in my mind as an idea.

That was a reference to charlie hebdo shooting.
I am trying to understand your POV that a cartoonist's being murdered would be an indication of God being a bully. Are you saying that in the absence of God protecting this man from Islamic extremists that this is an indication of God being a bully by the lack of intervention? I am not, btw, trying to be obtuse nor am I trying to insult you. And as for God being an idea, I agree with you. I feel the same way about God. Am I misunderstanding your opinion on this?

dave_

I am trying to understand your POV that a cartoonist's being murdered would be an indication of God being a bully. Are you saying that in the absence of God protecting this man from Islamic extremists that this is an indication of God being a bully by the lack of intervention? I am not, btw, trying to be obtuse nor am I trying to insult you. And as for God being an idea, I agree with you. I feel the same way about God. Am I misunderstanding your opinion on this?

I am saying that god is directly responsible for that incident.Abrahamic religions cause fear , suffering.Fear is the worst.It weakenes people and sickens the soul.It causes evil.I was brought up with this kind of fear.Yes i don't believe in abrahamic god anymore but the fear still exists in my mind.Though the more i got rid of this fear the stronger i become.Intellectually i don't believe in god but the emotional residue especially fear is inside my mind.So in a way i still believe in god.I believe there are atheists like me , even though they reject god intellectually they still fear the god.

JoStories

I am saying that god is directly responsible for that incident.Abrahamic religions cause fear , suffering.Fear is the worst.It weakenes people and sickens the soul.It causes evil.I was brought up with this kind of fear.Yes i don't believe in abrahamic god anymore but the fear still exists in my mind.Though the more i got rid of this fear the stronger i become.Intellectually i don't believe in god but the emotional residue especially fear is inside my mind.So in a way i still believe in god.I believe there are atheists like me , even though they reject god intellectually they still fear the god.
You do understand how dichotomous a position like that is, non? I do not believe God is directly responsible for any act. Humans make choices, some good, some bad. In my belief, we choose to come here and experience various things in order to gain enlightenment. And while I do fear some things: spiders, birds, and so on, I do not,fear anything intangible from my youth such as the things my mom's faith taught me. One of the most annoying books I have ever read is called 'love is letting go of fear". IMO, absolute merde. Both are innate emotions that serve the human condition. Learned fear can be unlearned.