• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God impossible?

JerryL

1. Prove no god exists.
2. Prove abiogenesis without divine intervention.

Since you can't prove either then the belief in a god is indeed logical.
Prove there are no invisible unicorns.
Prove you didn't kill a 5-year-old child.

Since you can't prove either: belief that you are a child-killing unicorn is logical.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Okay, then do something that might be possible. Prove that the existence of a god is not logical.

Nope, you can't even do that much.
Let's just leave it as an open question: the existence of a god (or gods) may or may not be logical.

What does this get you? How do you think this scores points for your position?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
None of the above is valid and relevant to G-d with attributes mentioned in Quran.
Please quote from Quran to prove one's point of view.
Anybody, please
Regards

So the premises that G-d is impossible is defective. G-d with attributes mentioned in possible and more than that He exists and made others to exist temporarily.
Regards

Reggie Miller

Let's just leave it as an open question: the existence of a god (or gods) may or may not be logical.

What does this get you? How do you think this scores points for your position?

Well, it simply shows that an atheist is an atheist for no other reason than because they prefer to be an atheist. There is certainly no logical justification for it.

Reggie Miller

Prove there are no invisible unicorns.
Prove you didn't kill a 5-year-old child.

Since you can't prove either: belief that you are a child-killing unicorn is logical.

You missed the point, obviously. What can you prove about your atheism logically?

JerryL

I'm am quite sure it doesn't mean what you think it means.
Come up with that response all by yourself?

You missed the point, obviously. What can you prove about your atheism logically?
I don't think I want to talk to a child-killing unicorn... which you've yet to prove you are not.

And your question is so nonsensical as to again prove that you've no idea what "logic" actually does.

Reggie Miller

Come up with that response all by yourself?

I don't think I want to talk to a child-killing unicorn... which you've yet to prove you are not.

And your question is so nonsensical as to again prove that you've no idea what "logic" actually does.

I rest my case. Bailiff, next case!

Reggie Miller

"God may or may not be logical" makes no conclusions, so it doesn't require justification.

Neither does atheism. That's my point. As a matter of fact you cannot possibly justify atheism other than by outright assumption by personal preference only. Science has absolutely nothing to do with it.

So admit it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Neither does atheism. That's my point. As a matter of fact you cannot possibly justify atheism other than by outright assumption by personal preference only. Science has absolutely nothing to do with it.
Sounds like you have some misunderstandings of what atheism is.

Setting aside implicit atheism (because I don't want to be drawn down another rabbit hole where people freak out at the idea of babies being atheists), explicit atheism just says "I haven't been convinced of any gods." That's it.

What do you think we need to justify?

Reggie Miller

Sounds like you have some misunderstandings of what atheism is.

Setting aside implicit atheism (because I don't want to be drawn down another rabbit hole where people freak out at the idea of babies being atheists), explicit atheism just says "I haven't been convinced of any gods." That's it.

What do you think we need to justify?

Nothing, as long as you agree you don't believe in any gods simply because you choose not to - and you agree that you cannot justify atheism logically.

JerryL

Nothing, as long as you agree you don't believe in any gods simply because you choose not to - and you agree that you cannot justify atheism logically.
So you don't believe that you are a child murderer simply because you chose not to? You cannot logically justify your belief.

Kind of like how you simply chose not to believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster. You agree that you cannot justify not believing in the FSM, right? aFSMism.