• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is god perfect?

tarasan

The majority of us, including me, certainly don't rely entirely on ourselves. But the more that people can rely on themselves (especially emotionally), the better. The best way to help someone is to teach them to be responsible, independent, and able to make their own way.

I rely on a reasonable economy and the lack of physical threats, but I don't rely on love in the form of emotional support from other people. I did when I was a child, because I was unable to fend for myself physically and economically, but my parents raised me in a good way and therefore I turned out in such a way that I could fend for myself in most situations. In other words, they helped me by doing the above- teaching me to be responsible, independent, and able to make my own way. A mother that teaches her child to always rely on her for support, to live at home indefinitely, to emotionally need her, does a disservice to her child. A mother that teachers her child how to be a well-adjusted, emotionally strong child that is able to responsibly handle various matters does a much better service for her child.

erm so your say that relaying on people is an emotional weakness or something? this is were we are at a crossroads I think, being independant doesnt mean there is no relience, and relience doesnt mean that your some needy individual themselves. i am a well rounded adult and i love my mother, and i am emotionally attached to her, but im still independant, im still doin my own thing.

The same logic applies to a god. A god that would have her followers rely on her, give her extreme devotion, let her think for them, and so forth, is doing a disservice to her followers.

erm are you comparing God to a mother? now thats just silly, i dont get my morality from my mother, Goodness does not stem from my mother, my mother isnt omnisceint, omnipotent etc, that is a silly statement Pen.

The Christians that are kind to others do so because they are kind people. If some of them would otherwise not be kind if not for their devotion, then they are immoral people.

if you deny a part of a person aka their devotion to something, then you arnt taking the person as a whole.

That's respect , integrity, and reasonable devotion rather than worship or "extreme devotion".

Would you say that you worship your wife? Would that be an appropriate choice of words? I certainly don't worship my partner nor do I want him to worship me.

no because as we have seen above worship is to a diety not to a person and again, we havnt decided on what extreme in relation to devotion implies, what does it mean to you?

Yes but I mean what leads you to believe that they are true?

Simply put, it all makes perfect sense to me. When I look out the window to the perfectness of this creation, how it all works together, how complicated it is. I say it is perfect. I have faith that I am a creation and there is a creator. This is what leads me to believe that they are true.

tarasan

its late i gotta go and because of bible college i probably wont be back on RF for a while, but it was a nice chat ill ttyl

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
erm so your say that relaying on people is an emotional weakness or something? this is were we are at a crossroads I think, being independant doesnt mean there is no relience, and relience doesnt mean that your some needy individual themselves. i am a well rounded adult and i love my mother, and i am emotionally attached to her, but im still independant, im still doin my own thing.
Being emotionally needy is a weakness. Not being able to support oneself financially with one's own talents is a weakness. Some weaknesses are not the fault of the person because they can't help it, but that's an aspect of what weakness is. Nobody is 100% without weakness.

More importantly, teaching someone to rely on someone else is the problem and what I am comparing your description of god to.

erm are you comparing God to a mother? now thats just silly, i dont get my morality from my mother, Goodness does not stem from my mother, my mother isnt omnisceint, omnipotent etc, that is a silly statement Pen.
I don't think it's silly. The parent/child analogy is a common one for gods and mortals.

And the fact that your mother is neither omniscient or omnipotent yet was STILL wise enough to teach you to be an independent person is not a defense of your position but rather a criticism of it. The parent analogy is appropriate. A friend analogy or a boss analogy can work too.

A bad boss doesn't delegate, and doesn't let employees think for themselves or make their own decisions. A bad friend wants to be the center of attention and wants her friends to need her more than she needs them. A bad parent is unable or unwilling to teach her children to be strong and independent people, and instead raises emotionally needed, poorly-adjusted people.

Why would a god want people to be needy? Why not teach them to be free, to be gods?

if you deny a part of a person aka their devotion to something, then you arnt taking the person as a whole.
I'm not denying their devotion, and I am taking the person as a whole.

Someone who, without their devotion, would not be kind, is an immoral person. They apparently lack inherent compassion and must rely on a god to be reasonable people.

no because as we have seen above worship is to a diety not to a person and again, we havnt decided on what extreme in relation to devotion implies, what does it mean to you?
Extreme devotion is devotion that is not helpful to the devotee or the devoted.

A self-actualized person has no need of people worshiping her, and why would she feel a need to worship others?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Why not teach them to be free, to be gods?
How would you suggest that God go about doing this? I ask because that's what I believe He is in the process of doing. Most Christians will disagree with me on that, but I believe that we as human beings are "gods in embryo."

waitasec

Veteran Member
weather i notice or not does not matter to me, would the idea of an ant worshipping me bother me?

i wouldn't even think you'd notice.
i just think it says something about the worshipper more then the worshiped...
it gives them a sense of an unjustified importance to an unsuitable degree.

i wouldn't even think you'd notice.
i just think it says something about the worshipper more then the worshiped...
it gives them a sense of an unjustified importance to an unsuitable degree.

i know, i misinterpreted the point you ware making, i thought that you ware replying to something I said, therefore I already deleted that part of my post :D

waitasec

Veteran Member
if we are to fear god, we then lift ourselves up to understanding a superior deity
when that is entirely impossible

humans are dictators
it is because they are humans we can understand their power, not so with a deity.

Harmonious

wouldn't that ultimately make us feel more important then we really are?
No, not really.

We should remember two things at all times. God created the world for us. This should make us feel wonderful, powerful, and godly, of sorts.

We should also remember that even the mosquitoes were created before us, so we should remember that we are still a humble creation.

And how should we feel? We should remember that God loves us. God is a Father, God is a King, and it's our job to be thankful for all that He's given us.

He doesn't need it, but we'll be better people for it.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How would you suggest that God go about doing this? I ask because that's what I believe He is in the process of doing. Most Christians will disagree with me on that, but I believe that we as human beings are "gods in embryo."
Because there are pantheistic, panentheistic, deistic, monotheistic, polytheistic, monist, and various other god models, the answer will vary greatly depending on what sort of god is in question.

Not by needing or commanding worship, or requiring that followers rely on her, though.