• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Harris Really Worth Voting For?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
"Price gouging" is the label that enables
selling price regulation to liberals.
What do you think will happen to grocers,
growers, & manufacturers if Harris decides
to say what prices should be?
My perspective is that we should be very wary of subsidies and monopolies, tax excessive profit, and let the free market establish prices.

Pogo

Myself, I was hoping for better attention for climate change.

But it is just not possible to do everything that must done.
Not obstructing renewable generation will be largely sufficient, Solar and Wind are already the target of utilities though the local conversion of a former landfill was stopped because the local substation was inadequate and too costly to upgrade at present. Electrical infrastructure is the main limitation at this point but not being talked about by enough.

icehorse

Premium Member
Myself, I was hoping for better attention for climate change.

But it is just not possible to do everything that must done.
Well, top of everyone's agenda should be ecological overshoot for which global warming is just a symptom.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
I had the misfortune of turning on my radio this morning.
I heard coverage of the DNC convention.
No voice for Palestinians allowed.
Harris parroted the Biden lament about misery in Gaza.
Harris parroted the Biden code phrase for allowing the
genocide to continue...."Israel has the right to self defense".
Both advocate widespread price controls.
Both favor government seizing private assets.

It's beginning to appear that she's just a clone of Biden.
But a DEI version. (They repeatedly make a big deal about
her sex & race....& how presidential her pantsuits are.)
It's true that like Biden she's playing both sides on the Gazan war. But I think she came down especially hard on the war ending. I saw the speech in person last night, so I didn't just get a sound bite. There's nothing she can do about the war now. Biden is in control of the policy. We have to wait to see how she handles the war if she becomes President.

I didn't know she intends to impose price controls. But it is reported:

One of the worst is Harris' proposal to impose government price controls on private-sector businesses.
Democrats love to blame “greedy corporations” for all the country’s ills, but the reality is much more complicated. And if they force the government further into the private marketplace, they’ll make things much worse for Americans.

Price controls have been tried in various forms around the world for centuries. (Not to give away the suspense, but they always fail.)...
Even Republican President Richard Nixon tried price controls in the 1970s to deal with high prices, but he succeeded only in making inflation worse.
Trump’s ‘Comrade Kamala’ insult is a bit much, but price controls really are an awful idea

I am 73, so I remember that. I am unaware of Biden advocating that. He is older that me, so he remembers that. He was a Senator when that happened. I doubt he advocated that. In fact it has nothing to do with him by the same article:

Harris’ price-control plan is light on substance, so it’s helpful to look at legislation crafted in part by Democratic Sens. Bob Casey of Pennsylvania and Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts for additional info. Harris has endorsed their proposal.

Harris may want to look like she’s “doing something,” but government interference isn’t the answer. And that is what price controls would do in practice.

“It is going to lead to shortages,” Scott Lincicome, senior fellow with the Cato Institute, told me. “It’s going to decrease investment in that area. It is going to lead to higher prices in the long term.“

You know, that's exactly what her strategy is: "trying to look like she's doing something." But will she do that if she is elected? I would love it if she broke that campaign promise. She may learn, in the meantime, if she is serious that that won't work.

Personally, I love that she is Asian-African, because that represents a breakthrough, but of course that doesn't make her a better President.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Can you tell us who "They" are in this context? a
Democrats & Republicans.
I thought I'd already named them.
Who specifically was making a big deal about her race & sex? Do you have names? Quotes?
Trump is one.
And in the snippet I heard from the Dem convention,
I didn't record any names. Are you disputing that
both parties are obsessing over her race(s)?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's true that like Biden she's playing both sides on the Gazan war. But I think she came down especially hard on the war ending. I saw the speech in person last night, so I didn't just get a sound bite. There's nothing she can do about the war now. Biden is in control of the policy. We have to wait to see how she handles the war if she becomes President.

I didn't know she intends to impose price controls. But it is reported:

One of the worst is Harris' proposal to impose government price controls on private-sector businesses.
Democrats love to blame “greedy corporations” for all the country’s ills, but the reality is much more complicated. And if they force the government further into the private marketplace, they’ll make things much worse for Americans.

Price controls have been tried in various forms around the world for centuries. (Not to give away the suspense, but they always fail.)...
Even Republican President Richard Nixon tried price controls in the 1970s to deal with high prices, but he succeeded only in making inflation worse.
Trump’s ‘Comrade Kamala’ insult is a bit much, but price controls really are an awful idea

I am 73, so I remember that. I am unaware of Biden advocating that. He is older that me, so he remembers that. He was a Senator when that happened. I doubt he advocated that. In fact it has nothing to do with him by the same article:

Harris’ price-control plan is light on substance, so it’s helpful to look at legislation crafted in part by Democratic Sens. Bob Casey of Pennsylvania and Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts for additional info. Harris has endorsed their proposal.

Harris may want to look like she’s “doing something,” but government interference isn’t the answer. And that is what price controls would do in practice.

“It is going to lead to shortages,” Scott Lincicome, senior fellow with the Cato Institute, told me. “It’s going to decrease investment in that area. It is going to lead to higher prices in the long term.“

You know, that's exactly what her strategy is: "trying to look like she's doing something." But will she do that if she is elected? I would love it if she broke that campaign promise. She may learn, in the meantime, if she is serious that that won't work.
Carter's gasoline price controls were an utter disaster.
They created long lines, wasted time, & shortages.
Personally, I love that she is Asian-African, because that represents a breakthrough, but of course that doesn't make her a better President.
Personally, love that she is a non-treasonous non-rapist,
because that represents an alternative to the alternative.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

anna.

colors your eyes with what's not there
Alas, a lot of people prefer Trump.
I just talked to such a friend.
His argument is based on low information, eg, unaware
of the fake electors, threats to Secretaries of State to
"find" his needed votes, etc. Trump is merely a victim
of the liberal media's fake news, & hostile Democrats
who plot against him.

You're describing my best friends and most all my family, unfortunately. :(

icehorse

Premium Member
Which means what?

Ecological overshoot or just "overshoot", is the idea that humans are using the planet's resources in unsustainable ways. We're destroying our topsoil, depleting our fresh water aquifers, depleting our fisheries, de-foresting the planet, polluting everything with the runoff from our mines, and so on.

One side effect of this unsustainable use of resources is global warming, which is indeed a serious problem. But it pales when compared to overshoot.

icehorse

Premium Member

Actually, I'd say that the oligarchs / kleptocrats (insert your favorite term), ARE largely responsible for all of society's ills.

Capitalism can work well, but only if it's well regulated, and such regulations have been steadily eroded for the last 40 years or so.

As a challenge, name any ill in society today, and I'll be happy to link it back to oligarchs in a step or two. The oligarchy is poisoning everything.

anna.

colors your eyes with what's not there
To reason with cult members is an exercise
in patience, & the finding of common ground.
I'm not having much success.

I love them. Therefore we don't talk politics.

Did you see this a few years ago?

Biden-Voting Counties Equal 70% Of The U.S. Economy

Screenshot 2024-08-23 at 2.16.19 PM.png

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Actually, I'd say that the oligarchs / kleptocrats (insert your favorite term), ARE largely responsible for all of society's ills.

Capitalism can work well, but only if it's well regulated, and such regulations have been steadily eroded for the last 40 years or so.
If one looks at the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), one
sees that the cumulative number of regulations has greatly
increased over time. The last 4 decades shows the addition
of 80,000 pages. And that's just at the federal level. As a
business owner, I've seen increasing state & local regulation
Problem is that government creates a lot of dysfunctional
regulation.