• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Harry Potter Satanic?

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Christine Im not yelling at you, well not purposefully. I'm a bit angry and its leaching into my posting.

Iti oj

Premium Member
To me so and so book is evil is almost as a vile as racism and sexism.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
and many burn books and seek to ban things they do not agree with. Your point is invalid.

It's not invalid. Are you saying that people are not allowed to dislike a book just because they MIGHT burn it or censor it? We're human beings and we are not all going to like the same things. People have a right to believe that HP is satanic, and even if they don't, you can't change their minds about it just because you think they might censor it. That doesn't make any sense, whatsoever.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Christine Im not yelling at you, well not purposefully. I'm a bit angry and its leaching into my posting.

I just am having trouble having understanding what you are saying. People hate things. Some people hate my Bible, and they have that right. I am not going to say that don't just because I think that some of them might burn it or censor it. :shrug:

Iti oj

Premium Member
I just am having trouble having understanding what you are saying. People hate things. Some people hate my Bible, and they have that right. I am not going to say that don't just because I think that some of them might burn it or censor it. :shrug:
has any one tried to burn or ban The Bible? Because they have indeed done so with Harry Potter.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
How do you know this to be the case?

I ask, because the source of powers is something that is debated within communities that practice spellcraft. There's no agreement about it, though in my experience, very few claim that the person has no power. There's no way to prove which is correct either way, so I wonder what exactly makes you so certain... especially since I doubt you practice yourself.

However, I have to say this perspective of yours has some very awkward implications. It means everything is demonic. Candles are demons. Loaves of bread are demons. And those fluffy kittens? Also definitely demons.

because we are mere humans. We are bound by the laws of nature. We can't manipulate them unless we create technology to do it for us.

And if some humans really did have such powers, then we'd all have them.

Besides, why do practitioners of magice/voodoo/sorcery etc consult the spirits and attempt to conjur the spirits? They do that because even they know its the spirits who have the power.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
It would seem that humans do have limited power over the physical world. At least that would seem to be what science is now suggesting. If that proves to be the case, that will not be Magic, it will be a natural ability.

if it were not for the computer and keyboard and electricity, you would not have been able to tell me that. ;)

The world of spirits. jinn, demons and magic, are like faeries, they are pure fantasy, ancient fantasy true, but still make believe.

the personal experience of many people prove otherwise.

And i guess unless you have the experience yourself, it is a hard claim to believe, but it doesnt make their experience any less real or the demons any less real.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
No. I just don't have any appreciation for a low-brow movie pitch and marketing scheme that passes itself off as children's literature.

People have different taste. The low brow tend to low brow literature like Harry Potter. I have read plenty of great children's literature to know that Harry Potter is low brow bull ****, it is a brand, a marketing scheme.

Perhaps you do not remember. But the First Harry Potter book was a very short run first novel put out by an equally small publisher.
It was one of the first best sellers to be created by the pressure of word of mouth on line. It was never a marketing creation like so many other children's books.
I managed to get a copy of a later edition of that first book which I read and passed on to my grand children. Even then they could not keep up with demand.

Harry Potter like most of the popular authors of the past including the ancient Greek playwrights and Shakespeare, Milton, Dickens, Cervantes. Were just people who had a story to tell, and could write them well enough for other people to want to pass them on.

There is nothing low brow about any of this popular literature, that is what it all was. Academia does authors no favours by dismissing the popular as some how sub standard. It is the popular that has always set the standard and has lasted the course though the generations... all the Classics started out as populist. Those that started life as dusty tome are still dusty tomes however well written. Books that are so well written that no one reads them might as well not exist.

JK Rowling started writing when she was on the bread line, She is now a Billionaire and in constant demand, with her books published in every conceivable language. And with her films adapted and screened in nearly every country of the world. Some in the USA along with Saudi Arabia and a number of other Islamic countries can see no further than the evil of magic and sorcery, which is their loss.

I am very glad that the films were made in the UK with out concessions to American language and sensibilities, actors, or technicians and script writer.
I would shudder to think what Disney would have made of it, I saw what they did to Mary Poppins and Poo Bear.

Poor me...............

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
because we are mere humans. We are bound by the laws of nature. We can't manipulate them unless we create technology to do it for us.

Besides, why do practitioners of magice/voodoo/sorcery etc consult the spirits and attempt to conjur the spirits? They do that because even they know its the spirits who have the power.

Well, as you might have noticed in an earlier post I wrote in this thread, the prevailing sentiment among those who actually practice spellcraft is that it's a natural phenomena, or part of the laws of nature. They're not "special powers" and it's not "supernatural." Spellcraft is a learned skill, and we do all have the power. Stripped of all the fancy window dressing, spellcraft is (at a minimum) basically psychology: it's deliberate manipulation of the environment and symbolism to alter your state of consciousness. It's creation of what the sciences call the placebo effect in a deliberate fashion for your own benefit, and it's quite efficacious. As an example, you can carry a particular color of gemstone that you associate with calm; when you feel anxious, you can hold it in your hand to calm yourself down. You could get the same "placebo" effect with other things too, like a smell or tea you find relaxing. Non-practitioners do these same things pretty routinely themselves, they just don't call it spellcraft or have the fancy window dressing.

The psychological efficacy of spellcraft holds true regardless of whether or not there are supposedly spirits involved, and for practitioners that do believe in that otherworldly dimension, I know of none who would say they themselves are powerless. In fact, it's a pretty common saying in the community that the power doesn't reside in the tools, but the practitioner. I'll admit there may be some circles that think the individual has no power, but this would definitely be a minority view in contemporary practice.

At any rate, you're entitled to your perception of these practices Pegg. I'm telling you all this mostly because I hope it helps you (or others) understand that your view differs dramatically from that of actual practitioners.

I'm going to have a sip of my demonic tea now to alter my state of consciousness this morning; I'm a bit tired and in need of caffeine. :D

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
if it were not for the computer and keyboard and electricity, you would not have been able to tell me that. ;)

the personal experience of many people prove otherwise.

And i guess unless you have the experience yourself, it is a hard claim to believe, but it doesnt make their experience any less real or the demons any less real.

We still have an active Victorian built spiritualist church in Uppermill.
I understand that they believe in all sorts of that stuff. though most of it was disproved or debunked one hundred years ago.
I had no idea the the JW's had settled into that same time warp.
But each to their own. If it is in the Bible it must be fact.:cover:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Is that a full moon thing? Invite only?

The Church looks like they have come into some money recently, as they have sorted out their car park and started some building work.

As it is a registered charity they must have free public access.

It seems that they have a web site

Saddleworth Spiritualist Church

The company aims to promote the religion and philosophy of Spiritualism as based on the Seven Principles:-

1. The Fatherhood of God.

2. The Brotherhood of Man.

3. The Communion of Spirits and the Ministry of Angels.

4. The Continuous Existence of the Human Soul.

5. Personal Responsibility.

6. Compensation and Retribution Hereafter for all the Good & Evil Deeds done on Earth.

7. Eternal Progress Open to every Human Soul.

Last edited:

Iti oj

Premium Member

Not all do that. I don't.