• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is hell too harsh?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Which leads to a question about who's a real Christian or not. Obviously it's not based on behavior or what a person claims to believe.

That's the thing. We accept as Christians anyone who says they are a Christian but only God knows our hearts. On top of that, someone can live the commands that were given by Jesus yet not even be a theist or follow that religion and not even believe in Jesus.

And here's another thought:

1. A man says he is theist, yet looks down on the poor, is full of pride, doesn't love his neighbor, has no compassion, no mercy.
2. A woman doesn't believe in any God. She works at a homeless shelter. She nurses hurt animals back to health. She smiles at people and is very friendly.

Is 1 or 2 doing "God's" work? It isn't 1, is it? Do you really believe that I would believe that God would punish a woman like the one I mentioned? I don't.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
He left His heavenly place, was born a human being, was tortured, and beaten beyond recognition and was nailed to a cross. At the time, it was the most cruel, horrifying, agonizing and humiliating death know to exsist.

And then he got better.

For the record, Othin doesn't have his eye back, nor has Baldur risen from the grave. It's foreseen that Baldur will rise again after Ragnarok to lead the survivors, but Othin will be in the grave by then, so the two of them will never see each other again.

The nature of sacrifice is that you don't get back what you sacrificed.

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Have you ever heard of Pastor Arnold Murray? He is a sadistic Hell believer, he tells people who do not believe have a nice ride to Hell. It is pathetic. I have a honest question and please excuse my ignorance, why is the concept of Hell even in the Bible If most christians do not believe in it?

Hint: it's not.

The modern concept of Hell, that is, the place of eternal torment for evildoers likely derives from the Greek Tartarus.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Which got me thinking, If someone is too throw out one doctrine, why not just throw out the whole Bible? I just don't see anything appealing about the Biblical God. I guess thats why I don't believe in Him. I am not trying to insult anyone, I am just stating my beliefs. Also one more thing it seems kind of Hypocritical to believe in one part of the Bible and not the other. Or is that just me thinking?

That's just you. The Bible is not a single whole book; it's a collection of Jewish and early Christian writings, some of which are actually quite amazing.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
That's the thing. We accept as Christians anyone who says they are a Christian but only God knows our hearts. On top of that, someone can live the commands that were given by Jesus yet not even be a theist or follow that religion and not even believe in Jesus.

And here's another thought:

1. A man says he is theist, yet looks down on the poor, is full of pride, doesn't love his neighbor, has no compassion, no mercy.
2. A woman doesn't believe in any God. She works at a homeless shelter. She nurses hurt animals back to health. She smiles at people and is very friendly.

Is 1 or 2 doing "God's" work? It isn't 1, is it? Do you really believe that I would believe that God would punish a woman like the one I mentioned? I don't.

One thing to remember about the Good Samaritan story: Samaritans were the enemies of Jesus's audience for that tale.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum

So which one would go to Heaven and which one would go to Hell? I know you don't believe in Hell, but you do see the problem. If God is judging people, he would have to do it on a different level than just belief in God/Jesus or what is claimed to be believed. If God is judging it on a bunch of other parameters than belief in Jesus, then belief is Jesus is not necessary.

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
The way I have been seeing things for the past 30 years as a Christian is that too many people care more about stray verses than they do the Bible books as a whole. The message isn't truly contained in a single verse or a dozen verses. Believe me, reading the Bible as a whole gives a whole different outlook that stringing together various verses.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
So which one would go to Heaven and which one would go to Hell? I know you don't believe in Hell, but you do see the problem. If God is judging people, he would have to do it on a different level than just belief in God/Jesus or what is claimed to be believed. If God is judging it on a bunch of other parameters than belief in Jesus, then belief is Jesus is not necessary.

Jesus also wanted us to follow His commands. If His commands weren't important, He never would have shared them. He would have just said "all you need to do is believe in me and that's it" but that isn't what He said or taught. Jesus taught a lot of commands, which were all from the Tanakh (what I formerly called the OT, yet no longer do). That's something that Christians need to think about as well as others.

captainbryce

The only false religions are those that oppress and condemn and force conversion and prey on the weak...all of which your faith does (and of course, scare tactics of hell, but that's a given).
My faith does none of those things. You've obviously confused me with someone else!

captainbryce

I've heard preachers talk about serial killers who accept jesus and are saved and go to heaven. I think killing os pretty evil (but your god and his followers in the old testament seemed to kill alot...). So if a serial killer can get into heaven, doesnt that defeat your arguement?
Well, it doesn't defeat my argument because I haven't expressed these points (other people have). Whether or not a serial killer gets into heaven or not isn't particular relevant because that all boils down to whether or not that serial killer has in fact repented his sins and accepted Jesus. And of course all of that depends on whether or not this increasingly hypothetical serial killer has a rational state of mind to begin with. There are many factors to consider when determining whether or not someone is truly "evil". Killing alone is not a determining factor. Many good people kill!

Also, I dont care if he's god. If hes sick and sadistic and makes his creation suffer on earth and possibly in the afterlife, he doesn't deserve worship.
And it's your right to exercise that choice "not to care". I don't think you are alone here. It's obvious that many atheists, skeptics and followers of pagan religions "don't care" about God, and that much of that is based on their condemnation of him based on their own understanding. You are hardly unique in this view.

Also the bible mwntions predestination and that some are destined for hell. Sounds sick to me. I'd rather worship Satan. I think he had it right when he defied god.
And that's your right as well. God is so great in my opinion, that he allows you to reject him and worship Satan if you choose. He will not force anybody to worship him. :)

captainbryce

But they way I understand it, a wicked person can get into heaven, if they accept Jesus Christ as their savior. While at the same time a good person could end up in hell simply by not accepting Christ. I find that idea sick and immoral.
1) A wicked person who accepts Jesus would no longer be wicked at that point. In order to truly accept Jesus, one has to repent their sins and be born again. A person who is still wicked does not have this capacity.

2) A person who rejects Christ is by definition NOT GOOD. Nobody is truly "good" in God's eyes. But we become good by accepting our savior who died on our behalf. And I think that is awesome and more moral than anything humans have ever had going for them in our violent history.