• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is homosexuality a choice?

javajo

Its called sexual orientation. Most people become aware of it when they hit puberty. Either one is straight, gay, lesbian, bi, trans gendered, and some fluctuating throughout life.That is who they are and God loves us all the same. When a child tells me they knew they were 'different' around 5th grade and comes out in 7th grade--like, the worse time ever, knowing what they will encounter, they are being honest. Nobody would 'choose' to 'be that way' knowing the pain that awaits them. No, they are who they are and deserve the same respect and rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness as anyone else.

openyourmind

You didn't ask if hetro was a choice but no that you mention it, it is you chose to accept they way you feel and not deny it. It is just easier for you to chose because no one said it was wrong. Still a choice.

Jeremiah

You think a lack of them having this argument would then make them non-bigots?

I'm just thinking that choice or no-choice, the rights would still be denied.

Commonly circulated misconceptions of minorities only proliferate ingorance and intolerance of minorities. Stuff like, "It is a choice", "It is unnatural", "It is a sin" and even "Marriage is only between a man and woman". All views that are based in ingorance and all views used as a bases of sexual prejudice.

The obvious solution is education.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm not sure, but I think it's possible that homosexuality might be more of a choice for women than for men. Possible, but unlikely.

Jeremiah

I'm not sure, but I think it's possible that homosexuality might be more of a choice for women than for men. Possible, but unlikely.

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that generally women are more "sexually flexible" then men.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I read somewhere (can't remember where) that generally women are more "sexually flexible" then men.

That would make sense of what a few lesbian friends have told me. But I'm reluctant to come to any conclusions just based on the testimony of two or three people.

Jeremiah

If sexuality was a choice I really don't understand why anyone would choose to be heterosexual, as men are way hotter then women (sorry ladies).

***Edit -- Expect in the case of heterosexual women, of course.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If sexuality was a choice I really don't understand why anyone would choose to be heterosexual, as man are way hotter then woman (sorry ladies).

I beg to differ. Women are way hotter than men! :)

Seriously, though, I can see someone attracted to either sex. Both sexes have their own beauty.

Jeremiah

That would make sense of what a few lesbian friends have told me. But I'm reluctant to come to any conclusions just based on the testimony of two or three people.

I was looking for the article I read but I didn't find it. I did however run across this book.

Amazon.com: Sex on the Brain: The Biological Differences Between Men and Women eBook: Deborah Blum: Kindle Store

Here is a quote from the book. I got it from a preview of the book.

Scientists such as Bern and Bailey not only describe women as more sexually flexible, they see men as more strictly channeled in orientation -- far more likely to only be attracted to other men, or to only be attracted to women.
Might be an interesting book to read.

tarasan

I would have though his reaction would be Bi sexuality was a choice as well, if you have to actively choose your orientation as your friend says, in order to show that he was bi you would have to presuppose that he had no choice in the matter which he clearly would reject.

now wether orientation is a choice, is another question, and im not sure either way, ive done some research into it and given a presentation in my bible college presenting both views, and i really dont thinks its obvious either way.