• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is It Possible For Males and Females to Be Platonic Friends?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
This came up in another thread and I nearly answered it there but decided not derail the conversation.

Do you think males and females can be platonic friends? I think it is possible. I have had a lot of male friends that were platonic. They were great friends and I really enjoyed talking to them. In fact, I usually enjoyed talking to males as women tend to want to talk mostly about relationships and I wanted to talk about other things (I don't like talking relationships). Granted, there were women who would talk about something other than relationships and I enjoyed them as much. Some of them had girlfriends or wives, and they were not jealous (who would be jealous of me? LOL)

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Absolutely. I have plenty of female friends for whom I have no sexual attraction to.

Skwim

Veteran Member
willgrace1.jpg

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
This came up in another thread and I nearly answered it there but decided not derail the conversation.

Do you think males and females can be platonic friends? I think it is possible. I have had a lot of male friends that were platonic. They were great friends and I really enjoyed talking to them. In fact, I usually enjoyed talking to males as women tend to want to talk mostly about relationships and I wanted to talk about other things (I don't like talking relationships). Granted, there were women who would talk about something other than relationships and I enjoyed them as much. Some of them had girlfriends or wives, and they were not jealous (who would be jealous of me? LOL)

Yes. Most of my friends are female, simply because I like talking to them more. That, and in my classes, females outnumber the males, so that is another reason.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Depends how you mean. If you already have a partner I don't see that one could regularly be going out with a platonic friend in a social context without serious friction arising. That's a shame, but I think it's entirely understandable.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member

:eek: Oh no! the friend zone.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I can't believe this is even a question people have to ask in 2011 :sarcastic

Your sarcasm aside, I think it is still relevant as there are still some folks out there who wouldn't be friends with someone of the opposite sex, even in 2011. :sarcastic:sarcastic

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
It is depressing to think about :facepalm:

I agree. I was surprised that anyone still had problems about this, which is why I asked the question in the first place. All I am getting is heavy sarcasm from everyone making me wish I never asked it in the first place. :help::help::eek:

no-body

I agree. I was surprised that anyone still had problems about this, which is why I asked the question in the first place. All I am getting is heavy sarcasm from everyone making me wish I never asked it in the first place. :help::help::eek:

I wouldn't take it personally. An absurd question deserves absurd answers.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I wouldn't take it personally. An absurd question deserves absurd answers.

I wouldn't call it absurd since people still feel this way, and some do. But I am thoroughly humiliated again for the second time in two days. Thanks guys, I used to think you guys were all mostly kind. :eek:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I wouldn't call it absurd since people still didn't feel this way, and some do. But I am thoroughly humiliated again for the second time in two days. Thanks guys, I used to think you guys were all mostly kind. :eek:

I shower the people I love with sarcasm and snideness.

no-body

I wouldn't call it absurd since people still feel this way, and some do. But I am thoroughly humiliated again for the second time in two days. Thanks guys, I used to think you guys were all mostly kind. :eek:

I think it reflects more on the people that still feel this way.

You should never feel humiliated for setting up the jokes, it is a great service to the forum smart alecks.

Spirited

Bring about world peace
I think that it's more appropriate to have close female friends before one is married. After that point, it feels a little less appropriate, however, it is for you and your partner to decide ultimately. I wouldn't presume to tell you whether or not it's ok for your best friends to be guys, but as a man, I would strongly prefer that not be the case with my wife.

I hope that helps.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I think it reflects more on the people that still feel this way.

You should never feel humiliated for setting up the jokes, it is a great service to the forum smart alecks.

Don't worry about me. Once I stop being embarrassed about starting this thread, I will be fine. And maybe make some jokes about it. I was truly surprised to find out that people still felt this way, I am not making that up to save face (although you shouldn't put it past me, just not in this case). I thought that kind of thing was behind us.
It is my fault for not being clear enough in my intent. :eek::eek::)