• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is It Possible For Males and Females to Be Platonic Friends?

Most definitely! My wife worked as a bartender when I met her. She has loads of male friends. And I have lots of female friends. Though she has stolen a bunch of them from me. :slap:
We both have many friends. :D

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Can someone please explain me what do you mean by platonic friendships! >.<
Close friendship without sexual aspects to the relationship.

Like a heterosexual female and a heterosexual male that are really good friends, but not physically intimate at all.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
From what I've seen only gay men can pull off having platonic friends of the opposite sex.
How so? In my experience in a good, close friendship biological sex doesn't matter, and the act of or desire of sex doesn't have to be present. And if it was true that males and females can't form platonic relationships, then people who are bisexual should have a hard time forming any platonic relationships.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Interesting.

My husband is an alpha male. He's very masculine and rugged. He drives a big truck, wears steel toed boots and a hard hat nearly every day, looks like the Marlboro Man, thinks George Strait is the greatest musical genius of all time, and loves big dogs. He's also very chivalrous and gallant with women, and very gentle with little children. If I ask him something like, "Which outfit do you like best on me?" or "What was your first impression of me when we met?" he will get an alarmed look on his handsome face, and say quickly, "I'm scared - it's a trap - don't ask me that!" and then flash me that killer grin of his and say something like, "Uhhhh, you're pretty?"

He's traditional and protective and would tear anyone asunder, probably with his bare hands, if he thought they meant me harm.

I say all that to lay the groundwork for my next statement - in case anyone got some idea that my husband is some sort of controlling misogynist.

He would not like - and probably would not tolerate - me having a close male friend that I spent any significant time alone with. I mean, I didn't really have any when we met, so it's not like he'd ask me to give up something in order to be with him. I've had male friends in the past, but now that I sit here and think about it - no lie - they were nearly all gay.

He didn't have any female friends when we met either. We both had that in common - several very good same sex friends and basically no friends of the opposite sex.

I have many CASUAL male friends - from work, church, etc. But my experience has been that if I allow too much familiarity, it can lead to some awkward situations.

My husband has had the same sort of experiences with women. He's outgoing, good looking, and confident, and makes good money - I have personally witnessed women basically throwing themselves at him, especially when we first started dating seriously.

Considering that we haven't had a history of many close opposite sex friendships, it would be out of character for either of us to suddenly develop one - and in my opinion it would be a red flag.

But hey, that's just us. To each his own. If other people can keep it platonic, more power to them.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
As a result, I have more male friends than female friends.

I view them as platonic friends. And, most respect the fact that I am in a relationship, and so all interaction is platonic. Maybe a little casual flirting here and there, but that's fun. It's all about good communication.

Not sure if I have more female friends than male, but it's a tight race in any case.
And I have many female friends with whom I've been close for several years without anything sexual entering our relationship.

As for flirting, well, I'll happily flirt with just about anyone. :D

dust1n

Zindīq
I think the question is quite relevant because some people simply don't think it is possible. Jealousy is an ugly monster. I've always been a bit of a tomboy and had more guy friends than girl friends. The guys I've gotten into relationships with have all known this about me. My second husband, however, didn't like it. As if I was just supposed to drop my male friends the instant we got married. I wasn't going to do that. I once bumped into a male friend of mine I hadn't seen in a long time while at the laundromat. We were happy to see each other and wanted to catch up and decided to go grab something to eat and chat for a while. To me it was the same as if I had ran into any of my female friends. My husband, however, hit the roof. As far as he was concerned it was a date and I was a cheating skank.

I have another guy friend who was in much the same situation. His wife didn't like him having female friends. Ironically, she was the one who introduced the two of us because she wanted her husband to meet her good friend. I guess she had not intended him and I to actually become friends too. It ended up driving her nuts and she constantly accused him of cheating on her with me which was certainly not the case. Turns out, the issue was she had cheated on him more than once and was paranoid that if he had close female friends he would do the same to her.

I think this tends to be the underlying problem. People who have issues with their significant others being friends with the opposite gender (or maybe same gender in the case of homosexuality) know of their own indiscretions or what they would want to do and are projecting that upon the relationship.

All that said, I do think there are some people who have promiscuity issues and do find it difficult to separate platonic feelings and love from sexual attraction feelings. That is a whole different thing that has more to do with psychological issues and learned behaviors.

I can't frubal cause I be out. But this is probably one the most insightful posts I've read all night.