• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Select the ones you agree with:

• 01: Truth has nothing to do with Religion

• 02: Righteousness has nothing to do with Religion

• 03: Peace has nothing to do with Religion

• 04: Love has nothing to do with Religion

• 05: Non violence has nothing to do with Religion

• 06: True Religion exists

• 07: Superior Religion exists

• 08: There are inferior Religions

• 09: My Religion is superior

• 10: My Religion is not superior

Results are only viewable after voting.

Balthazzar

N. Germanic Descent
For me.

The context is that it's better for her. It's a sloppy way to say "preferable for me". It usually works. A really determined proselyte would find a way past that.

Preferable would be true, also.

superior​

1 of 2

adjective

su·pe·ri·or su̇-ˈpir-ē-ər

Synonyms of superior
: situated higher up : upper

: of higher rank, quality, or importance

preferable​

adjective

pref·er·a·ble ˈpre-f(ə-)rə-bəl
ˈpre-fər-bəl,

also pri-ˈfər-ə-bəl

: having greater value or desirability : being preferred

The difference is I have less desire to be part of other religions, so I place more importance on my own.

Last edited:

ChatwithGod

ChatwithGod.ai
Claiming superiority can create division. Jesus taught humility and love for all in Matthew 22:39, "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Balthazzar

N. Germanic Descent
I believe everything I say comes from Jesus.

I think everything you say comes from within yourself.

How ... el

Jesus ...

Christ!

Am I a wolf?

Man ... I have books.

Ohhoooll, do you like boats?

The sun shining on the water moving around...

I never caught it.

I just got wet.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
In other words, it's "my religion is more preferable or desirable to me". All the things you mentioned are subjective completely up to individual discretion.
I'm not sure that's the case. The social sciences are pretty good about choosing measurable criteria for these sorts of things. Sure, most people do rely on their own subjective evaluation. But that doesn't mean it has to be subjective.
"Superior" seems to carry a lot of weight when it's really just part of the air. It's a word that doesn't float very long.
Oh come on. Humans choose things they believe to be superior all the time, whether it is a superior wine, or a superior hotel, or a superior school for their kids. Why should people treat religion any different?

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
Oh come on. Humans choose things they believe to be superior all the time, whether it is a superior wine, or a superior hotel, or a superior school for their kids. Why should people treat religion any different?
Subjectivity.

Okay. My religion is superior to everyone else's! There. Everybody happy, now? :D

IndigoChild5559

Subjectivity.

Okay. My religion is superior to everyone else's! There. Everybody happy, now? :D
You keep saying "subjectivity," as if that wins your point. A wine connoisseur has criteria to determine a superior wine. The Forbes Travel Guide has criteria it uses to determine how many stars a hotel is given. Parents can access evaluating sites that score schools on various issues. And people CAN have criteria for how they evaluate a religion.

Viker

You keep saying "subjectivity," as if that wins your point.
That is my point.
A wine connoisseur has criteria to determine a superior wine.
Not everyone drinks wine or even agrees with other connoisseurs.
The Forbes Travel Guide has criteria it uses to determine how many stars a hotel is given.
Many people prefer campers and perhaps boondocking.
Parents can access evaluating sites that score schools on various issues.
This is fine. This is probably why there are many different types of schools.
And people CAN have criteria for how they evaluate a religion.
I've never suggested that they can't or shouldn't.

I just think that superior is a loaded word. When the statement "my religion is superior" stands alone...it looks no different than "my race", " my nation", etc. If "for me" is placed behind it then I get that they typically don't mean something like the aforementioned.

I choose "better for me", "more preferable", "more desirable".

There's no universal or objective criteria for what makes a thing superior to another. Especially when anyone else begs to differ. Has anyone tried Santeria? What if it's better suited then what you got?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
You seem to think that because some people do not use objective criteria for wine, hotels, schools, or religions, that this means there are no objective criteria. That is very poor logic.
Please present an objective criteria for wine, hotels, schools, and religion that makes one 'better' or 'superior' to others.

IndigoChild5559

You made the claim, not me.
I made the claim that they use criteria. Are you saying they don't? That they just pull stuff out of their hat? And that based on that, others listen to them? Is that what you really think?

Last edited:

Viker

You seem to think that because some people do not use objective criteria for wine, hotels, schools, or religions, that this means there are no objective criteria. That is very poor logic.
No. Not really. But what are the objective criteria?

I could use the analogy that a fine religion is like a fine wine. But I put religion in a whole different category. Wine isn't as necessary for people interested in religion. Religion itself is a bit higher on the pay scale for some. Right around ethnicity, nationality, identity and the like. And there is no way around it. It's all subjective. It's all based on personal experiences. It's even influenced by one's culture.

If someone says their religion is superior to my own. I expect them to demonstrate it, preferably with a valid argument. If they just say they prefer it then that's fine. We could discuss our differences of preference or not. No big deal. The whole superiority thing is a bit aggressive to be attaching to a religion.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I made the claim that they use criteria. Are you saying they don't? That they just pull stuff out of their hat? And that based on that, others listen to them? Is that what you really think?
Interesting how you forgot the main point of the topic so quickly.

A quick reminder: objective.

So are you going to present an objective criteria for wine, hotels, schools, and religion that makes one 'better' or 'superior' to others or are you content dancing around it?

IndigoChild5559

Interesting how you forgot the main point of the topic so quickly.

A quick reminder: objective.

So are you going to present an objective criteria for wine, hotels, schools, and religion that makes one 'better' or 'superior' to others or are you content dancing around it?
I'm not here to educate you what the criteria are. I'm here to correct your logic. I you are interested in learning the criteria, you are on your own there. If you don't know where to start, try cruising this site: Dashboard Resources - California School Dashboard and System of Support (CA Dept of Education)

Now, unless you have something NEW to say, I'm moving on.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I'm not here to educate you what the criteria are. I'm here to correct your logic. I you are interested in learning the criteria, you are on your own there. If you don't know where to start, try cruising this site: Dashboard Resources - California School Dashboard and System of Support (CA Dept of Education)

Now, unless you have something NEW to say, I'm moving on.
Except you are not doing any educating.
Nor are you correcting anything.
You are dancing around your claim of "objective criteria" instead of presenting any.

Perhaps if you were to spend one tenth the time and energy actually presenting an example of your claim, you know, what you were flat out asked to do, that you are using to avoid presenting an example....

But you go ahead and run tail tucked.

IndigoChild5559

No. Not really. But what are the objective criteria?
I'll say the same thing to you that I just said to McBell. It is not my intent to teach you how to evaluate wine or schools or hotels. My objective is to correct your faulty logic.

If you DO want to know how to evaluate all those things, you'll have to research it yourself. If you don't know where to start, try cruising this site: Dashboard Resources - California School Dashboard and System of Support (CA Dept of Education)

Viker

I'll say the same thing to you that I just said to McBell. It is not my intent to teach you how to evaluate wine or schools or hotels. My objective is to correct your faulty logic.

If you DO want to know how to evaluate all those things, you'll have to research it yourself. If you don't know where to start, try cruising this site: Dashboard Resources - California School Dashboard and System of Support (CA Dept of Education)
I just don't believe religions can be evaluated the same exact way. If we did that then almost everybody would probably join The Satanic Temple.

I give Christianity one star out of five. But tens of millions swear by it. I don't really get why. Buddhism actually gets 3 1/2 stars! It's one of the highest rated on my list. Go Siddhartha!

I give my own religion five stars out of five. It should have that considering I helped start it. And it works really well for me.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Is it smart to claim "my Religion is superior"?

There is no harm if one's claim is supported by peaceful and reasonable arguments in a peaceful dialogue, rather it is great service to humanity if one does that truthfully, please, right?

Ahmad 1835-1908 exactly did that, one may like to read a treatise written by him and read at the conference of Great Religions held at Lahore, in December 1896 in the then British-India, right, please?
One may like to read its translation in English, freely available @:
1728676696988.png

No compulsion, whatever, to read it however, please, right?

Regards