• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it true that the world will end in the year of 2012?

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I was actually watching a documentary about the sun yesterday that said the next sunspot peak( I think that's what it's called) will occur in 2012. That basically means that solar weather(the solar flares and what not the sun gives off) will be at it it's strongest. Think of it as hurricane season.... only in space.... and coming from the sun rather than the ocean.

But I don't think the world will end in 2012. Something could certainly happen that would change the world as we know it, but it wouldn't end it.

Trey of Diamonds

From Mesoamerican Long Count calendar in Wiki
2012 and the Long Count

According to the Popol Vuh, a book compiling details of creation accounts known to the K'iche' Maya of the Colonial-era highlands, we are living in the fourth world. The Popol Vuh describes the first three creations that the gods failed in making and the creation of the successful fourth world where men were placed. In the Maya Long Count, the previous creation ended at the start of a 13th b'ak'tun.

The previous creation ended on a long count of 12.19.19.17.19. Another 12.19.19.17.19 will occur on December 20, 2012, followed by the start of the fourteenth b'ak'tun, 13.0.0.0.0, on December 21, 2012.

Catastrophic significance within the New Age movement

Three figures within the New Age, the artist and theorist José Argüelles, John Major Jenkins, Daniel Pinchbeck and the late ethnobotanist and psychonaut Terence McKenna, have publicized theories concerning the significance of the end of the cycle. (They arrived at their conclusions separately from one another). They have jointly inspired a number of articles and books that this will be the end of this creation, the next pole shift or, as McKenna speculated in his theories, the end of history and events as "novel" as the origin of life on Earth, which we could not possibly imagine. Jenkins has focused on the occurance of a Galactic Alignment in the "era of 2012". Other, more mundane speculations involve a worldwide catastrophe, such as a pole shift. The idea of the significance of the date has also increasingly passed into popular culture.

Inscriptions beyond 2012

Maya stelae occasionally show dates beyond 2012. Most of these are in the form of "distance dates", where a Long Count date is given with a distance date to be added. For example, on the Tablet of Inscriptions from Palenque the following Long Count date was found: 9.8.9.13.0 8 Ahau 13 Pop (March 24, 603 Gregorian) with a distance date of 10.11.10.5.8. The resulting date is given as 1.0.0.0.0.8 5 Lamat 1 Mol, or October 21, 4772 — almost 3,000 years into the future. The king Pacal of Palenque predicted that on this date the eightieth Calendar Round anniversary of his accession will be celebrated, suggesting he did not believe the world would end in 2012.

Summary

Despite the publicity generated by the 2012 date, Susan Milbrath, curator of Latin American Art and Archaeology at the Florida Museum of Natural History, stated that "We [the archaeological community] have no record or knowledge that [the Maya] would think the world would come to an end" in 2012.

"For the ancient Maya, it was a huge celebration to make it to the end of a whole cycle," says Sandra Noble, executive director of the Foundation for the Advancement of Mesoamerican Studies, Inc. in Crystal River, Florida. To render December 21, 2012, as a doomsday or moment of cosmic shifting, she says, is "a complete fabrication and a chance for a lot of people to cash in."

"There will be another cycle," says E. Wyllys Andrews V, director of the Tulane University Middle American Research Institute (MARI). "We know the Maya thought there was one before this, and that implies they were comfortable with the idea of another one after this."

Nope.
Even though I think everything is set, I do not think we are capable of calculating the end. Not even ancient mayans..
Besides, all it will end is the calendar, we made up the rest.

That was a long time ago. I think we would probably be more accurate than some old time civillisation.

leahrachelle

I dont believe or not believe, but I think it is a good possibility. I don't know much about it but a lot, a lot of smart people seem to believe this so im sure they have good evidence to back it up.
The best reason i've heard, though, is that the magnetism of the earth is shifting, and they think that could kill everyone.

But honestly, the way I always thought the world would end is us all eventually killing each other off.

leahrachelle

I was actually watching a documentary about the sun yesterday that said the next sunspot peak( I think that's what it's called) will occur in 2012. That basically means that solar weather(the solar flares and what not the sun gives off) will be at it it's strongest. Think of it as hurricane season.... only in space.... and coming from the sun rather than the ocean.

But I don't think the world will end in 2012. Something could certainly happen that would change the world as we know it, but it wouldn't end it.

Hmm maybe it'll be like that movie with Jake Gylenhall and Emmy Rossum - where the hurricane like took over the land. I forgot the name of the movie..

Beaudreaux

You are SO right! The world will come to an end at Midnight, January 1, 2012. Only the faithful will see God in heaven at that time. I have made it my mission to help people show their faith and make it to eternal life. To that end, I strongly urge you to sign everything you own over to me on or before Dec. 31, 2011. Trust me, you won't need it after then and your gesture will prove to God that you are one of the faithful.

:)

Sententia

Yes, the world will end on December 21, 2012, on exactly 10 AM (GMT), preferably after breakfast.

Yep. I am planning a big breakfast with french toast made with french bread, pancakes made from american white all purpose flour and coffee brewwed decaf. (I dont want to be kept up all day if the world is ending.)

Heneni

Miss Independent
You are SO right! The world will come to an end at Midnight, January 1, 2012. Only the faithful will see God in heaven at that time. I have made it my mission to help people show their faith and make it to eternal life. To that end, I strongly urge you to sign everything you own over to me on or before Dec. 31, 2011. Trust me, you won't need it after then and your gesture will prove to God that you are one of the faithful.

:)

If people really took any 'doomsday' prophecies seriously they would no doubt run up a substantial debt and do all sorts of things that they otherwise wouldnt. But most dont. However, though they really dont believe that the 'end' is on its way, they nevertheless dont like it when people remind them of the possibility.

This earth has been destroyed before. There is no reason to believe that it cant happen again. There has actually been several asteroids which have passed by earth quite closely . Some of these asteroids were only detected a few days before it pasts by. So if there is an asteroid/meteorite heading this way, there wont be enough time to save too many people.

Smoke

Done here.
doppelgänger;1394752 said:
Oh, running away . . eh? Don't want to own up to your Irish revolutionary roots? :rainbow1:
Casting off the yoke of English oppression is nothing to be ashamed of. I was just struck speechless for a minute by the dating of events. ;)

gnostic

The Lost One
Since I have made no plan for 2012...because I don't think that far ahead...I am not to concern at all.

All I need to do is break out the marsh mellows and make hot chocolate, so when that fateful day comes, I will sit in the backyard and watched the firework. :)

There will be firework, won't it? :shrug:

I mean you can't have "the end of the world" without some good fireworks. I will be very disappointed if there's no firework. :(

Not even a firecracker? :confused:

Sententia

Since I have made no plan for 2012...because I don't think that far ahead...I am not to concern at all.

All I need to do is break out the marsh mellows and make hot chocolate, so when that fateful day comes, I will sit in the backyard and watched the firework. :)

There will be firework, won't it? :shrug:

I mean you can't have "the end of the world" without some good fireworks. I will be very disappointed if there's no firework. :(

Not even a firecracker? :confused:

There has to be... Something atleast.... Maybe we should buy some in case everyone forgets and just set off our own.

akhi_sharma29

As i think and nature shows, the end of earth will be by water only. as earth will close to sun and there is enough water at the both of poles for that. and end in 2012, it's not possible. It will take time upto the men would reach at the highest level of itself.

akhi_sharma29

And who think that there is a end of life on 01 - 01 - 2012, kindly use and do what u want to do or give ur valuable to me. Becuase after that it will not useful for u.

gnostic

The Lost One
balancefx said:
There has to be... Something atleast.... Maybe we should buy some in case everyone forgets and just set off our own.

Oh :yes:

I've not even light a firecracker before.

I wanna light one up. I wanna light one up. I WANNA LIGHT ONE UP! :bounce

The BIG ONE! :yes: I wanna light the BIG ONE up!

Can I? Can I? I'll be good. :namaste