• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is multiculturalism a good or a bad thing ?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
In this century weather we like it or not the world has become more multicultural and connected but I don't think that this is a good thing because too many different races and cultures in a small space creates tension and some of these immigrants don't assimilate into the Broder culture of the host country. But they bring with them more work which boosts the economy which is a good thing.
Speaking only for my own country (Canada), I have to say that overall multiculturalism is a good thing. I like diversity, and throughout my career, my diverse teams have been excellent at resolving sometimes very difficult problems. Diversity brings different perspectives, different ways of thinking. As long as we all think of ourselves as part of the team, then we are free to bring our individuality to the team. It is the same with Canada -- we have people with strong attachments to their own cultural backgrounds, but who also think of themselves as Canadian. Hyphenated-Canadian, sometimes, but I don't know that that's a bad thing, so long as the Canadian part is there.

"The year [2024] represents the [53rd] anniversary of the adoption of multiculturalism in Canada. Clearly, multiculturalism policy has stood the test of time. However, more than sheer longevity is involved. In programmatic terms, multiculturalism has advanced the goals that animated its introduction in 1971. It has helped to change the terms of integration for immigrant communities, laying to rest ideas of assimilation, and creating space for minorities to maintain and celebrate aspects of their culture and traditions while participating in the mainstream of Canadian life. In addition, multiculturalism has been part of a broad state-led redefinition of national identity, helping to build a more inclusive sense of nationalism. Judged by these original goals, the multiculturalism program has met with considerable success. However, multiculturalism has limits. It has not eliminated racial inequality, and the commitment to diversity seems fragile at times, most recently in the case of Muslims. In addition, multiculturalism has been a conflicted political success. The policy is not embedded in a comprehensive political consensus, and potent political challenges have emerged in the name of social conservatism and Québec nationalism. Nonetheless, the policy has had sufficient political support to survive at the national level for half a century. In effect, multiculturalism is a case of conflicted political success and resilient program success. Moreover, judged by the experience of democratic countries generally, Canadian multiculturalism seems even more successful. Perhaps most importantly, the policy has arguably helped to forestall the type of anti-immigrant backlash we have seen elsewhere." Multiculturalism Policy in Canada: Conflicted and Resilient

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Multiculturalism is very much a good thing, if not a bare necessity. Among other benefits, it can be a potent force against nationalisms.

But it does bring unique challenges which many or most people just don't know how to handle. Mainly, it makes the sense of belonging to a larger group both harder to achieve and more meaningful yet also more limited.

Far as I am concerned, those are all positives.

But there are very real challenges. Most obviously, there is the need to achieve some measure of effective mutual understanding, which is actually a major challenge even inside each nation with little cultural variety. Achieving some form of common language is both desirable and very challenging, and it is just the start.

A related yet neglected need is that of learning to let cultures die. Particularly slaver-oriented mentalities, but also other varieties of antisocial, destructive extremisms such as certain creeds with supremacist bends. Not all of those are Abrahamic in nature, but most are.

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
In this century weather we like it or not the world has become more multicultural and connected but I don't think that this is a good thing because too many different races and cultures in a small space creates tension and some of these immigrants don't assimilate into the Broder culture of the host country. But they bring with them more work which boosts the economy which is a good thing.
The -ism of multiculture* is stupid, shortsighted,
and self destructive. Virtue signaling ideologies
are not likely to ever be good.

* American style, anyway.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
There is a lot made of immigrants who don't "assimilate". No-one makes much of the natives who refuse to "assimilate" to a multicultural society. Yet these tend to be the people causing tensions and resentment.

Personally, I think multiculturalism is overwhelmingly positive.
And @Massimo2002 - good OP

I think we have to look beyond cultures to underlying values. If immigrants have core values similar to the host country, then multiculturalism can be a good thing. But too often immigrants carry with them core values that are in opposition to the values of the host country. This is likely to cause trouble as we're seeing throughout Europe.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Multiculturalism is.

It simply is. It's a function of human diversity, which also simply is. It is, was, and always will be short of some very radical and fundamental change to humans as an animal species (e.g., becoming a hive mind collective).
The singularity IS approaching and we gotta adapt fast!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
One should assimilate so there is one culture.
It's not a matter of racism, because there are so many black Cubans or Brazilians that are 100% compatible with the culture of Portugal, Spain or Italy. They aren't even considered foreigners.
It has to do with cultures which aren't compatible with one another.
:)
Exception they're not the same like that. Cubans and Brazillians don't even speak the same language.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

American style multicultural"ism" is wonderful. I can find restaurants run by many different ethnic people in easy driving distance. I can go to concerts presented by people from different cultures and attend events celebrating those cultures. My wife comes from a different culture (Engish/Irish and Christian whereas I'm an Eastern European Jew by heritage.

There are TV miniseries celebrating the music and musicians from many different cultures with different instruments My Music with Rhiannon Giddens | PBS preview at My Music with Rhiannon Giddens | Season 2 Preview | Season 2 | PBS. In my neighborhood we have ethnic Chinese on one house next to ours and Muslims from India on the other side with Spanish-speakers up the block and so forth.

And I'm just getting started on the value of the American experience of multiple cultures which some call "multiculturalism".

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I completely disagree.

Mainly because I like the foods of other cultures.
Imagine here in the USA all the food is "American"...
No Italian food
no Chinese
no Mexican
No Thai

That would be terrible
I think it's far too late -- there's no such thing as American food -- only Americanized foods. LOL

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Sadly, I have to agree.

Though I still find it rather comical to hear people refer to Taco Bell as "Mexican"
Even our local Mexican restaurant, owned and operated by Mexicans, is not patroned by our local Mexicans. LOL They'll drive an hour or two to eat authentic and to shop for groceries.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Even our local Mexican restaurant, owned and operated by Mexicans, is not patroned by our local Mexicans. LOL They'll drive an hour or two to eat authentic and to shop for groceries.
Seems that the label "Authentic Mexican Food" on many restaurants refers to the cook, not the food....

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I completely disagree.

Mainly because I like the foods of other cultures.
Imagine here in the USA all the food is "American"...
No Italian food
no Chinese
no Mexican
No Thai

That would be terrible
Food has nothing to do with what I mean.
I love Oriental cuisines, not to mention Arab cuisine. Here it's filled with American fast food restaurants.
I was speaking of values like democracy, gender equality, etc...

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I think it's far too late -- there's no such thing as American food -- only Americanized foods. LOL
That's not just an American problem. A number of years ago I was in Japan for work. One night we went to a "Tex-Mex" restaurant in Tokyo run by Nigerians just for fun. It was not authentic.

The point about non-authentic food is well taken. If we go into an ethnic restaurant and see a number of people from that ethnic group, we know it's going to be relatively authentic.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner

American style does it better than anyone else when it comes to taking in and assimilating immigrants. We've proudly been doing for about two and half centuries now, embracing multiculturalism long before it was a word. It's in our blood, it's part of our genes, it's what we do and we do it well, we do it proudly and traditionally the virtues that America signals has appealed to people around the world who came here for whatever their reasons.

HonestJoe

Does your country (Canada apparently) have a singular national culture? Are all the elements of Canadian culture(s) native to North America? Is your first language English, French or Inuit?

Your objection here isn't really to multiculturalism. Pretty much every country naturally has multiculturalism, all sorts of varied cultural features and developments, some influenced or brought from outside and others largely domestically evolved (and maybe then spread elsewhere). You're just using that term to represent or as cover for what you're actually objecting to, which is specific types of people coming to your country based on your perceptions (valid or not) of what they're like. And in practice, that has much more to do with things like country of origin and skin colour, along with numbers and income levels, than anything about the cultures of the individuals themselves.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
For me it's a good thing. It tends to open most people's ways of thinking and spurs growth. Assimilation and Standardizing are the things that hold back people's growth. Plus, for me new things are always exciting, but I know for most people it is fighting.