• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is multiculturalism a good or a bad thing ?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Perhaps this has already been mentioned, but it is well known that a group is genetically better off (healthier and with fewer defects) by input from others outside of said group, and is probably why so many non-human species show this too - rather than being more inbred and perhaps where such would seem more normal. This besides all the benefits that various cultures bring along - as to culture, thinking, or whatever else.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I have no idea what their core values are. They've been great neighbors so maybe that's a core value or reflects one. We've never discussed politics or religion.

What's up with it? To me ... this: While cultural appropriation harms marginalized communities by perpetuating stereotypes or commodifying their culture, cultural appreciation, on the other hand, seeks to empower and uplift these communities by recognizing their contributions.
With your neighbors, it would seem that if you didn't share important core values, such gatherings either would not take place or they wouldn't be fun.

As for appropriation:

- I thought imitation was the sincerest from of flattery?
- What's an example of appropriation perpetuating sterrotypes?
- As for commodifying, that concern seems counter to multiculturalism, no?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
But all of the tribes Europeans encountered when they got to the Americas were also living on land they took from other tribes. EVERYONE on the planet is living on stolen land.

Of course, thus it's not just Europeans that had problems with accepting multiculturalism. So, let's deal with this in today's world.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Of course, thus it's not just Europeans that had problems with accepting multiculturalism. So, let's deal with this in today's world.
It probably gets down to definitions again. I think the grand "melting pot", controlled immigration of the US is an example of multiculturalism working fairly well. I think allowing the mass, largely unchecked, immigration of theocrats into European secular society will not turn out well.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
It probably gets down to definitions again. I think the grand "melting pot" of the US is an example of multiculturalism working fairly well. I think allowing the mass, largely unchecked, immigration of theocrats into secular society will not turn out well.

Well, it might. There are sign of 3rd generation in Denmark that they are in effect intergrated well enough.
And just it is not perfect, but some of it is as much social as it is religion.