• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is No Religion the New Religion?

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
I am actually quiet surprised after joining here on RF. The site in majority seems to be non-religious people. Is this the case in the world today? Not suggesting that it is good or bad.. but simply am curious to know if people you interact with on the daily claim a religion or not?

Curious.. Why come to a religious site if you are not religious?
I respect anyone that is here to open minds and spread love but why just get on here to make fun of what people believe.. I just don't understand

I know the last 20 years atheism has increased by over 20%..
Of course an easy argument for them would be people are finally waking up.
However, from my side it also fulfills prophecies because in the end times more people will be away from God and living strictly for materialism.

I wish people would dig deeper within instead of running away.
These books were meant to teach and help people who were animals.
I think some might think of God as a bearded guy in the sky and call it quits.

If people of no religion are teaming up spreading their word to religious people what is the difference?
Next there will be atheist instead of Jehovahs Witness knocking on doors.

Is no religion the new religion in todays hip modern culture?

rebelsmarket_no_religion_embroidered_iron_on_patch__patches_2.jpg

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I am actually quiet surprised after joining here on RF. The site in majority seems to be non-religious people. Is this the case in the world today? Not suggesting that it is good or bad.. but simply am curious to know if people you interact with on the daily claim a religion or not?

I respect anyone that is here to open minds and spread love but why just get on here to make fun of what people believe.. I just don't understand

However, from my side it also fulfills prophecies because in the end times more people will be away from God and living strictly for materialism.

If people of no religion are teaming up spreading their word to religious people what is the difference?

View attachment 25128
when you take off all your clothes the truth is self-evident, is revealed(revelation). i am an atheist who "knows" god.

Here, there is neither Buddha, nor Patriarchs. . . . The bodhisattvas are only dung-heap coolies. Nirvaa.na and bodhi are dead stumps to tie your donkeys to. The twelve divisions of the Sacred Teaching are only lists of ghosts, sheets of paper fit only for wiping the pus from your boils. And all the 'four fruitions' and 'ten stages' are mere ghosts lingering in their decayed graves. Have these anything to do with your salvation?
The wise seek not the Buddha. The Buddha is the great murderer who has seduced so many people into the pitfalls of the prostituting Devil.
That old barbarian rascal [Buddha] claimed that he had survived the destruction of three worlds. Where is he now? Did he not die after eighty years of life? Was he in any way different from you?" "O ye wise men, disengage your bodies and your minds! Free yourselves from all bondages. lin-chi

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
I am a Muslim that "knows" God. We are the ocean in one drop.
And no.. I won't take my clothes off for you.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

It's a mix. Some of my best friends are quite religious but Australia is a pretty secular country.

I like to understand the people around me, and also am a history buff. Religion informs a lot of decision-making.

I'm certainly not here to do that. These things cut both ways.

Fair enough. Worth noting, materialism is a tricky word here, since it can refer both to naturalism, or to being concerned with worldly things.

Then you're happy the irreligious are spending so much time thinking about religion here?

Some...but not, I think, many you'll find here.

I don't have a 'word' to spread. At least, not one motivated by atheism.

Why would they?

What's hip or new about atheism?
Can I ask, are you American?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

View attachment 25128

I suppose I was religious or spiritual when I first started on RF back in 2011. Guess what, ended up questioning a lot of my religious idealism. Found a lot of it I couldn't really justify. So when you find you can't justify a religious belief kind of end up not having any.

Still find RF for the most part informative and entertaining.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

View attachment 25128

I come from Sweden. So, the majority does not believe in a personal God. Obviously.

Is that a new religion? Well, only if sexual abstinence is a new sexual position. Or not collecting stamps is a new form of hobby.

lol

Ciao

- viole

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
am actually quiet surprised after joining here on RF. The site in majority seems to be non-religious people. Is this the case in the world today? Not suggesting that it is good or bad.. but simply am curious to know if people you interact with on the daily claim a religion or not?

I know it seems off balance; and, if you look at the forum list RF welcomes everyone from all walks of life and opinion. Also, many of us are religious and/or spiritual but not in the conventional sense. And a lot of us dont claim a religion but doesnt mean we are without morals we hold just a much as those who say they are religious.

What youre saying is not accurate.

There is probably five atheists I can count on my hand here. Everyone else seem to have their version of the supernatural, consciousness, eurphia, mystics, or so have you. They just dont liket the R word.

A lot of non-abrahamics here (rather than just atheists) have read the full bible and quran (lets say). Some have PhDs in theology and probably know more than half of us combined. Many people have left abrahamic religions because they looked deeper. They found what is best for them and they are happier.

Some do. I can bet you not most. Christians talk of god as if he is a person and not a spirit. They speak for him. They tell us about his motives as if he is whispering to them what that christian should think of others.

Those indoctrinate or highly infuenced by christianity most likely will take up that language medium. Its not their choice but how our (American) environment talks about god. I dont know about other countries.

Mind you, we are from all arould the world. Generalization is the root of all Fevilups.

Teaming up with who? I dont know any of these people on RF. Where you getting your opinions from?

There are probably atheists because JW "keep" knocking at the door. If you change the way you view other, atheist would probably have a different opinion about christians

Thought Id share:
download (9).jpeg

Here is a sum up of christianity

download.jpeg

The reason a lot of people are bias is because of christian views.

Stop seeing people as rejecters and bad people, there may be a change in bias.

David1967

Premium Member

View attachment 25128

There are actually many on here that believe in God (or gods). Some believers are religious, some not especially so. I came here out of curiosity at first and stayed for the community as a whole. I have learned a lot about other religions and cultures, and through this interaction gained a certain respect for other religions or lack of whatever may be the case. I do believe in God. Am I especially religious as in following a specific set of rules or regulations? Not really.

Altfish

Veteran Member

Because religion has such an out of balance influence on our lives whether you are religious or not.
As an atheist I want to know why that is, how can we address this imbalance.
Religious people try to impose their beliefs on the non-religious.

In the UK we have religious schools paid for by the state; the CofE has unelected Bishops in our Parliament.
In the US the religious help restrict family planning and elect bigots.

Skwim

Veteran Member
To save you from yourself (I'm an agnostic). Why do you come here, to preach to the choir? FYI, this is a debate forum, and if it wasn't for those with no religion showing up, this wouldn't the interesting site it s.

It isn't the original intent but sometimes it's how it all comes out in the wash. Say stupid things and we'll call you on it. Keep saying the same stupid things and you're asking for ridicule.

Because some of them are funny?
Well, on occasion that has happened, but usually it's because they're goofy rather than funny.

Not an argument, but an explanation.

So, in as much as you have a good reason, why would you think an "argument" is necessary?

You mean, accept your belief rather than reject it? Fine! Give us a good reason.

What books? And are you saying you're not an animal, but what . . . . a toadstool or a piece of limburger?

Bearded or not, if god doesn't make sense why give it the time of day?

Difference between what?

Nah, other than religious folk intruding on the lives of others, I don't think atheists care what anyone believes.

By definition, no religion can be a religion. :D

By the way, welcome to RF. :thumbsup: Glad to have you aboard.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I am actually quiet surprised after joining here on RF. The site in majority seems to be non-religious people. Is this the case in the world today?...
No. I think I encounter many more Christians than non Christians. I live in the USA in the South. I think that many people are discouraged with churches but still are Christians. I hear them say so both in person and on this site.

On this site we have several anti-theists who post here. We allow them as long as they are polite. This is the policy of the administration and site owner who I am told is religious. The mission if the forum is to get multiple religions into close proximity so that they can talk, defuse rumors, that sort of thing. This also creates a space for those who are questioning their own religious paths, seekers etc. I think what causes a lot of irreligious debate is the fact that many debates get started in 'General Religious Debates' area instead of in Same Faith Debates. It matters where you start your conversation.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I think some religious folk post mostly in DIRs rather than in the open forum.

I'm one of those "spiritual but not religious" folk. I believe there is something beyond the material that I call God. But I don't find organized religion attractive to me as I'm not attracted to doctrine and rituals..

I find I learn a number of things by participating here and have a chance to offer a perspective that might or might not be helpful.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member

View attachment 25128

I won't speak for other non-religious people here, but the reason I joined is because theology has always been sort of a hobby of mine. It was this fascination coupled with a logical and ethical mind (along with some inconsistencies between what I was taught and what I knew to be true) that ultimately led me away from religion. It's my curiosity of why people believe as they do that keeps me here.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

View attachment 25128
I wouldn’t be so quick to judge. Take the attitude of what can I learn and you will learn a lot. Take the position of what can I teach and you will quickly become frustrated.

I have an eclectic mix of religious and non religious people I mix with in New Zealand.

View attachment 25128

I do have beliefs and a spirituality. Just stating them though in a simple way can cause them to get very misunderstood.

But, for the most part, i come on here to learn/understand others views THROUGH discussions/debates on subject matter.

Unfortanately. Things like ad hominums and other bad debate tactics can get used, although not all the time. Depends who your talking too. Lol, ive even gotten told that i didnt believe the very thing i was debating for!

But, hey, it is what it is i guess.

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher

It's a mix. Some of my best friends are quite religious but Australia is a pretty secular country.

I like to understand the people around me, and also am a history buff. Religion informs a lot of decision-making.

I'm certainly not here to do that. These things cut both ways.

Fair enough. Worth noting, materialism is a tricky word here, since it can refer both to naturalism, or to being concerned with worldly things.

Then you're happy the irreligious are spending so much time thinking about religion here?

Some...but not, I think, many you'll find here.

I don't have a 'word' to spread. At least, not one motivated by atheism.

Why would they?

What's hip or new about atheism?
Can I ask, are you American?

Wow. Thanks for taking the time to address everything. I appreciate the feedback. Thorough and informative!

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
I do have beliefs and a spirituality. Just stating them though in a simple way can cause them to get very misunderstood.

But, for the most part, i come on here to learn/understand others views THROUGH discussions/debates on subject matter.

Unfortanately. Things like ad hominums and other bad debate tactics can get used, although not all the time. Depends who your talking too. Lol, ive even gotten told that i didnt believe the very thing i was debating for!

But, hey, it is what it is i guess.

Totally understand. Thanks for your time :)

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
I wouldn’t be so quick to judge. Take the attitude of what can I learn and you will learn a lot. Take the position of what can I teach and you will quickly become frustrated.

I have an eclectic mix of religious and non religious people I mix with in New Zealand.

Cool, thanks!

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
I won't speak for other non-religious people here, but the reason I joined is because theology has always been sort of a hobby of mine. It was this fascination coupled with a logical and ethical mind (along with some inconsistencies between what I was taught and what I knew to be true) that ultimately led me away from religion. It's my curiosity of why people believe as they do that keeps me here.

I can definitely see that being interesting. I'm a people watcher everywhere I go and like to try and figure out what they are thinking. lol

AdamRaja

Islamic Philosopher
No. I think I encounter many more Christians than non Christians. I live in the USA in the South. I think that many people are discouraged with churches but still are Christians. I hear them say so both in person and on this site.

On this site we have several anti-theists who post here. We allow them as long as they are polite. This is the policy of the administration and site owner who I am told is religious. The mission if the forum is to get multiple religions into close proximity so that they can talk, defuse rumors, that sort of thing. This also creates a space for those who are questioning their own religious paths, seekers etc. I think what causes a lot of irreligious debate is the fact that many debates get started in 'General Religious Debates' area instead of in Same Faith Debates. It matters where you start your conversation.

I also live in the South in the U.S. howdy neighbor! lol