• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is No Religion the New Religion?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I am certainly not perfect, and yes I have done those things. However, for the most part I don´t do it, unless, except in response to an initial attack. It is not part of my modus operandi, as it is with many atheists.

*shrugs*

I'd say the same about myself, but I fit into the loose group you're denigrating at the moment.
Easier to just say you respect people who don't over-generalise or mock, and leave it at that.

A large number of people in my country are atheists. They run the full gamut in terms of personality, thoughts on theism, and both the ability and willingness to articulate these.

If I say something that tries to encompass all theists, I'm almost invariably going to get it wrong. The same is true of atheists.

A Vestigial Mote

Nice diatribe, but erroneous none the less. Your anger is showing. Lenin used the quotation all the time, read some about him. I did not attribute it to him, I said, ¨as he said¨, not the same at all.

I make no judgement on anyoneś eternal destiny, the truth is the truth reject it or not. I cannot judge you, that is way beyond my pay grade, that is between you and God. BTW, I don´t believe in an eternal hell, and I believe the Bible supports that position.
Then I apologize for any mis-characterization. But you're still attempting to link atheism to communism - which isn't at all supportable. The vast majority of atheists aren't proponents of communism. It has nothing to do with atheism, and yet here we are, time and time again.

I am never bullied or persecuted,
You're probably right - that is probably never what happens to you. It is more likely what I said - that you take atheist dissension with your opinions and beliefs as persecution or bullying. Because let's face it... you are straight lying when you say:
I won´t allow it.
You OBVIOUSLY feel that you are bullied or persecuted for your beliefs, otherwise you wouldn't be constantly saying that atheists do these things so often. Just think about it. I suppose you're going to say you only see them bullying or persecuting others of your faith, or some nonsense... but it is extremely obvious that you, yourself - not "a friend of yours" - are the one butt-hurt about this.

I never run away, crying or otherwise, once you start down the dirty path,
Good. Then let's do this.

I am right there with you matching insult for insult using vastly superior well worded insults.
Haha... no.

I don´t feel uncomfortable by engaging atheists, why should I ?
I told you exactly why you should... because your beliefs necessitate that you assert things that have no basis in mutually-experienced reality. I notice you didn't comment on this part. I can understand why. It is basically just something you have to admit and move on.

Agreeing to disagree is perfectly acceptable to me. Someone disagreeing with me doesn´t break my heart, it is quite common. I do take offense, for your sake, at the rage and childishness many of you display, like a kid who has been denied a sucker, when I simply maintain my position.
And let's remember that your position includes ignorant items like the communism bit, and I am sure a plethora of other things you just love to pull out when you're looking to falsely cast atheism as something unsavory.

I don´t get angry when your belief doesn´t change
No, you're just angry all the time and downgrade the position of atheism every chance you get. Talking about how atheists are angry, portraying them as children, etc. You're not fooling me, man. You can drop the act. If you can really go toe-to-toe as you claim then put the gloves on. Stop pussyfooting around already.

More atheists now is irrelevant to me, there will be more tomorrow and more the day after that. Most Christians for 2,000 years knew you would multiply like rabbits, we were told so.
Ah, the old "The Bible foretold this" bit that supposedly proves that it is correct. You can say that isn't what you intended- but there is no other reason this is brought up except to attempt to credit The Bible with prophetic power. This means nothing.

shmogie

Then I apologize for any mis-characterization. But you're still attempting to link atheism to communism - which isn't at all supportable. The vast majority of atheists aren't proponents of communism. It has nothing to do with atheism, and yet here we are, time and time again.

You're probably right - that is probably never what happens to you. It is more likely what I said - that you take atheist dissension with your opinions and beliefs as persecution or bullying. Because let's face it... you are straight lying when you say:

You OBVIOUSLY feel that you are bullied or persecuted for your beliefs, otherwise you wouldn't be constantly saying that atheists do these things so often. Just think about it. I suppose you're going to say you only see them bullying or persecuting others of your faith, or some nonsense... but it is extremely obvious that you, yourself - not "a friend of yours" - are the one butt-hurt about this.

Good. Then let's do this.

Haha... no.

I told you exactly why you should... because your beliefs necessitate that you assert things that have no basis in mutually-experienced reality. I notice you didn't comment on this part. I can understand why. It is basically just something you have to admit and move on.

And let's remember that your position includes ignorant items like the communism bit, and I am sure a plethora of other things you just love to pull out when you're looking to falsely cast atheism as something unsavory.

No, you're just angry all the time and downgrade the position of atheism every chance you get. Talking about how atheists are angry, portraying them as children, etc. You're not fooling me, man. You can drop the act. If you can really go toe-to-toe as you claim then put the gloves on. Stop pussyfooting around already.

Ah, the old "The Bible foretold this" bit that supposedly proves that it is correct. You can say that isn't what you intended- but there is no other reason this is brought up except to attempt to credit The Bible with prophetic power. This means nothing.
If Lenin believed that religion , is the opiate of the people, and happened to be a communist,, and atheists believe essentially the same, and aren;t communists, why do you believe I am portraying atheists as communists ? Lenin popularized the saying, regardless of his political views, atheists essentially adopt the concept, regardless of their political views. The issue is the idea, not politics.

No, I am not angry, why do you say that ? I don't have to convince you I am right, I know you will ultimately know I am. It should be discussions on different perspectives, period,.

I come from the perspective that science, and the philosophical needs of humans do not support atheism, take it or leave it, I really don't care, hence, I don't get angry.

I brought up the Bible because either you or one of your atheist compadres was gloating about the increase in the number of atheists. If I were to say it means nothing to us, you would say it is sour grapes. If I were to say it means nothing to us because we knew it would happen, you would laugh and say you are making that up. However, if I say Christians have known it would happen for 2,000 years, and can prove it from the Bible, all of you, uh, agitation cannot change that fact, The Bible does say it. Christians have known it for 2,000 years, my statement is irrefutable.,

A Vestigial Mote

If Lenin believed that religion , is the opiate of the people, and happened to be a communist,, and atheists believe essentially the same, and aren;t communists, why do you believe I am portraying atheists as communists ? Lenin popularized the saying, regardless of his political views, atheists essentially adopt the concept, regardless of their political views. The issue is the idea, not politics.
Why not quote someone else who said it then? You're obviously not quoting the actual source of the quote - you said so yourself. You specifically chose Lenin. Are you saying you did not do so with intent? If Lenin did not first coin the phrasing/quote, then why choose him as the one who said it?

No, I am not angry, why do you say that ?
Because you can't seem to help yourself with the consistent things you slip in to demean atheists. But, of course, I already stated that, and you are trying to deny it.

I don't have to convince you I am right, I know you will ultimately know I am. It should be discussions on different perspectives, period,.
The irony here is that you will never know if I am right. Notice I used the word "if." I don't assert to know. I only don't believe your version of the story. You, on the other hand, say "It should be discussions on different perspectives, period", but say it in a context that leaves it with no meaning whatsoever, because you supposedly already know the truth... and so any other "different perspective" ends up being completely wrong in your opinion. That's not how I operate. That's how you and others like you operate. Asserting that you know the truth, and claiming that others are completely wrong. I don't know that you are wrong. I just don't believe you when you assert that you are right. If you were to convince me to a point where I had no choice but to accept your proposition, then I would. There is a very good reason you are unable to do so, however.

The Bible does say it. Christians have known it for 2,000 years, my statement is irrefutable.,
Again ironic, however, that if it weren't the case, and everyone on Earth were Christian instead, then you would never even blink at the fact that The Bible had it wrong! That's how it works with Christians. Anything that doesn't fit is ignored, and everything that is even barely passable is lauded as "great prophecy." You discredit yourselves right out of the gate with most of this stuff and don't even realize it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Out of curiosity: those of you who think that atheism is a religion: do you think that atheist and secularist organizations should get all the tax breaks and special treatment that religions do?

shmogie

Out of curiosity: those of you who think that atheism is a religion: do you think that atheist and secularist organizations should get all the tax breaks and special treatment that religions do?
Whit I think is irrelevant. The government decides tax exempt status. Perhaps their standard is belief in a divine being and they don;t consider the religious methodologies atheists use.

shmogie

Why not quote someone else who said it then? You're obviously not quoting the actual source of the quote - you said so yourself. You specifically chose Lenin. Are you saying you did not do so with intent? If Lenin did not first coin the phrasing/quote, then why choose him as the one who said it?

Because you can't seem to help yourself with the consistent things you slip in to demean atheists. But, of course, I already stated that, and you are trying to deny it.

The irony here is that you will never know if I am right. Notice I used the word "if." I don't assert to know. I only don't believe your version of the story. You, on the other hand, say "It should be discussions on different perspectives, period", but say it in a context that leaves it with no meaning whatsoever, because you supposedly already know the truth... and so any other "different perspective" ends up being completely wrong in your opinion. That's not how I operate. That's how you and others like you operate. Asserting that you know the truth, and claiming that others are completely wrong. I don't know that you are wrong. I just don't believe you when you assert that you are right. If you were to convince me to a point where I had no choice but to accept your proposition, then I would. There is a very good reason you are unable to do so, however.

Again ironic, however, that if it weren't the case, and everyone on Earth were Christian instead, then you would never even blink at the fact that The Bible had it wrong! That's how it works with Christians. Anything that doesn't fit is ignored, and everything that is even barely passable is lauded as "great prophecy." You discredit yourselves right out of the gate with most of this stuff and don't even realize it.
We have reached the point where you are raving. and just want to argue, non productive and wastes my time.

BTW, if you don't know there isn't a God then you aren't an atheist.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Whit I think is irrelevant. The government decides tax exempt status. Perhaps their standard is belief in a divine being and they don;t consider the religious methodologies atheists use.
Their standard about whether to give a group the tax breaks of a religion is whether the group is religious, not whether it's theistic. Non-theistic religions - real ones - get tax breaks just like theistic ones.

If you think an atheist group is a "church," then do you agree that its leadership should be eligible for parsonage exemptions just like any other church?

shmogie

Their standard about whether to give a group the tax breaks of a religion is whether the group is religious, not whether it's theistic. Non-theistic religions - real ones - get tax breaks just like theistic ones.

If you think an atheist group is a "church," then do you agree that its leadership should be eligible for parsonage exemptions just like any other church?
Not my call. I couldn't care less

A Vestigial Mote

We have reached the point where you are raving. and just want to argue, non productive and wastes my time.
Your choice, obviously.

BTW, if you don't know there isn't a God then you aren't an atheist.
I don't believe in God - doesn't mean I know there isn't one. Same as a claim that someone was abducted by aliens. I don't believe them... but I can't claim absolute certainty and say I know it didn't happen. Which is why they'd need to provide acceptable evidence if they want to convince me.

I assume you understand all this, and have for quite some time, but that you are just trying to simply cast atheists as something you wish them all to be so that you can claim they're being irrational.

shmogie

Your choice, obviously.

I don't believe in God - doesn't mean I know there isn't one. Same as a claim that someone was abducted by aliens. I don't believe them... but I can't claim absolute certainty and say I know it didn't happen. Which is why they'd need to provide acceptable evidence if they want to convince me.

I assume you understand all this, and have for quite some time, but that you are just trying to simply cast atheists as something you wish them all to be so that you can claim they're being irrational.
Same old, same old.

shmogie

Define religious as the government does

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
The first individual of the genus Homo-species formed from a couple of Australopithecus hetero zygotes, each of whom had the same type of chromosome rearrangements formed by fusion of the whole long arms of two acrocentric chromosomes, mated together and reproduced viable and fertile offspring with 46 chromosomes.

This first generation of Homo habilis then incestuously bred with each other and reproduced the next subsequent generation of Homo habilis.

References:
  1. J. Tjio and A. Levan. 1956. The chromosome number of Man. Hereditas, 42( 1-2): 1-6.
  2. W. Ijdo et al.1991. Origin of human chromosome 2: an ancestral telomere-telomere fusión. PNAS, 88: 9051-9056.
  3. Meyer et al. 2012 A high-coverage genome sequence from an archaic Denisovan individual. Science, 338:222-226.; K. H. Miga. 2016. Chromosome-specific Centromere sequences provide an estímate of the Ancestral Chromosome 2 Fusion event in Hominin Genome.Journ. of Heredity. 1-8. Doi:10.1093/jhered/esw039.

_70292064_e4380163-homo_georgicus_family-spl.jpg

chromosome_fusion2.png

Therefore, the first living breathing human being was never directly formed out of dirt/clay by God/Allah as the Bible/Quran falsely claims.

Former Christians and Ex-Muslims, who have this understanding of how humans precisely evolved , know the Biblical and Islamic tales of Creation are mythological rather than factual.
:)

These myths are the made-up stories of ancient nomadic tribesmen rather than God's word.

"the first living breathing human being was never directly formed out of dirt/clay by God/Allah as the Bible/Quran falsely claims." Unquote.
"Islamic tales of Creation are mythological rather than factual." Unquote.

Quran doesn't have any such tale. It is a misunderstanding, please.
Regards

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
"the first living breathing human being was never directly formed out of dirt/clay by God/Allah as the Bible/Quran falsely claims." Unquote.
"Islamic tales of Creation are mythological rather than factual." Unquote.

Quran doesn't have any such tale. It is a misunderstanding, please.
Regards

In the Qur'an, Allah reveals that the creation of the human is a miracle. The first human being was created by Allah shaping clay into human form and breathing a soul into it:
Your Lord said to the angels, "I am going to create a human being out of clay. When I have formed him and breathed My Spirit into him, fall down in prostration to him!" (Qur'an, 38:71-72)

Milton Platt

If you are speaking of ath
I am actually quiet surprised after joining here on RF. The site in majority seems to be non-religious people. Is this the case in the world today? Not suggesting that it is good or bad.. but simply am curious to know if people you interact with on the daily claim a religion or not?

Curious.. Why come to a religious site if you are not religious?
I respect anyone that is here to open minds and spread love but why just get on here to make fun of what people believe.. I just don't understand

I know the last 20 years atheism has increased by over 20%..
Of course an easy argument for them would be people are finally waking up.
However, from my side it also fulfills prophecies because in the end times more people will be away from God and living strictly for materialism.

I wish people would dig deeper within instead of running away.
These books were meant to teach and help people who were animals.
I think some might think of God as a bearded guy in the sky and call it quits.

If people of no religion are teaming up spreading their word to religious people what is the difference?
Next there will be atheist instead of Jehovahs Witness knocking on doors.

Is no religion the new religion in todays hip modern culture?

View attachment 25128

Atheistic people are bombarded by religion all the time. It’s on the radio, it’s on the TV. It’s on the bookshelves. People are shoving pamphlets in your hand on the street. People are knocking on your door. People want to teach it to your kids in science class. People want to base laws on it. You are bound to get a reaction.....what else would you expect?

Being an atheist does not mean you must necessarily live a strictly materialistic life. Being religious does not mean you can’t lead an extremely materialistic lifestyle.