• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is religion something you can develop on your own?

Metalic Wings

You can not doubt and have faith at the same time.

This is my current struggle. And I keep getting the feeling that this constant seeking of what I believe will be a lifelong search.
Not, I might add, that I believe I will never find a religion that fits. More specifically, I feel that like every other subject, when it comes to religion "you learn something new every day."

Atheologian

John Frum
No one should dispute that you can create your own religion, but is it necessary to have one? Assuming that you are making up your own, because you are dissatisfied with the preexisting ones, why even make up a new one? Why not fill that vacuum with knowledge and dedication to discovery, or art, or music?

Is god necessary to recognize beauty or the mysteries of the universe?

Morse

To Extinguish
No one should dispute that you can create your own religion, but is it necessary to have one? Assuming that you are making up your own, because you are dissatisfied with the preexisting ones, why even make up a new one? Why not fill that vacuum with knowledge and dedication to discovery, or art, or music?

Is god necessary to recognize beauty or the mysteries of the universe?

I think you are receiving the wrong message when people say "Create your own religion". Often times people don't think, create their own religion like Catholicism, LDS, or Hinduism. Often times its just a simple code of beliefs based on what the person has observed. As a result, instead of having your life based around a religion, you have a religion based around your life?

And similarly, why not fill that vaccuum of yours with knowledge and dedication to mathematics, science, or history?

Is atheism really so fulfilling that you feel others should adopt your view?

Atheologian

John Frum
I think you are receiving the wrong message when people say "Create your own religion". Often times people don't think, create their own religion like Catholicism, LDS, or Hinduism. Often times its just a simple code of beliefs based on what the person has observed. As a result, instead of having your life based around a religion, you have a religion based around your life?

And similarly, why not fill that vaccuum of yours with knowledge and dedication to mathematics, science, or history?

Is atheism really so fulfilling that you feel others should adopt your view?

I never suggested he adopt my view. Nor did I imply his own religion would be anything like Catholicism or Hinduism.
I think you are looking for a way to pick apart what I said because you assume things that aren't necessarily true. How do you know what I believe? I never mentioned my own beliefs at all, I merely posed questions for the OP to consider in his decision.

Last edited:

Morse

To Extinguish
I was merely being abrasive as a textual experiment.

But based upon your signature, name, and previous posts I've read, I would (possibly incorrectly) assume you are some form of atheist.

And furthermore I was using organized religions as an example.

And suggest does not equate imply.

And Hinduism*

-------

No offense implied or suggested, I simply felt like attacking somebody because I provoking people encourages retaliation. The manner in which a person retaliates and subsequently goes about solving a potential obstacle reveals more about that person than a cordial conversation would do so.

Or I could just be making this up because I felt like arguing when I posted, but my mood changed.

Atheologian

John Frum
I was merely being abrasive as a textual experiment.

But based upon your signature, name, and previous posts I've read, I would (possibly incorrectly) assume you are some form of atheist.

And furthermore I was using organized religions as an example.

And suggest does not equate imply.

And Hinduism*

-------

No offense implied or suggested, I simply felt like attacking somebody because I provoking people encourages retaliation. The manner in which a person retaliates and subsequently goes about solving a potential obstacle reveals more about that person than a cordial conversation would do so.

Or I could just be making this up because I felt like arguing when I posted, but my mood changed.

then you might appreciate my last two threads...
http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...1-should-agnostics-shut-up-since-they-10.html
http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...atheists-shut-up-about-god-8.html#post1719367

Last edited:

Morse

To Extinguish
Oh, and

Atheologian originally said,
As an atheist, I would not have thought to make the distinction, simply because I don't regard the loss of religion and the absence of religion as very different. However, in a world where religion is still mainstream, they certainly are. I apologize and I will clarify the topic question.
Now the question is really a question of either situation. I'm interested to know how many people make that distinction.

Morse

To Extinguish
I'm aware. But I was referring to the first thing you said.

"As an atheist"

I was correct about your denomination.

I just failed to isolate the incriminating evidence. Sorry.

Atheologian

John Frum
I'm aware. But I was referring to the first thing you said.

"As an atheist"

I was correct about your denomination.

I just failed to isolate the incriminating evidence. Sorry.

the question was posed subjectively, assuming only one position of many, to encourage answers to be more objective.
a question that causes a direct line of reason to surface rather than flop around on the floor. It's an objective question, because it forces you to assume certain things first, even if those things are not your own observations.
reducing me to just "an Atheist" is pointless. I can very well say I'm agnostic, and not contradict myself at all, here. By saying I am "agnostic atheist", or whatever you like to call it, that is only one way of describing the group that my beliefs fit into best.

As far as you know, those aren't my beliefs at all, but a manner in which to pose a topic that might enourage debate. I could, literally, be part of the cargo cults of Papua New Ginuea waiting for John Frum to bring me baked beans and ribbed condoms...

Last edited:

Atheologian

John Frum
Anyway, about making up your own deity, god, whatever you call it, I'd also add that I don't think it's possible to absolutely exclude any prior notions of God before you decide. Your own ideas of what constitutes a higher power or supreme being, whatever it is it you, will probably share common traits with other's, because they are likely to fill similar needs and roles. For instance, if your idea of god is that of a philosophical nature, as in "god" as a metaphor for the physical world, or as the driving force behind the universe, you might find it easier to study Eastern Regligions like Taoism or Daoism to help you shape what is meaningful to you.
On the other hand, you might think God is more directly related to your life, guiding us or commanding us. You'd find more helpful ideas, in that case, in modern Christian theists, or Jewish theists.

What I'm saying is there is nothing wrong with developing your own "religion" or notions of "God" from those that you feel might be insightful, helpful, or similar to what you believe is "true".

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
And if so, how do you know that you are right?
Does being right even matter?

I'm a staunch believer that god is an emergent property of the universe that first manifested itself approximately 12 nanoseconds into the Big Bang -- and you are asking me whether you can develop your own religion?

I know I believe in a greater being, most likely a God, but beyond that I'm stumped. How does one even go about creating their own religion? I get the feeling that's something I might not even want to toy with.
Haven't you noticed that most people create their own religion to some extent? In the way they interpret this or that point or article they have found in an existing religion. Perhaps we should not pour new wine into old wine bags, though.

Last edited:

Atheologian

John Frum
I'm a staunch believer that god is an emergent property of the universe that first manifested itself approximately 12 nanoseconds into the Big Bang -- and you are asking me whether you can develop your own religion?

Haven't you noticed that most people create their own religion to some extent? In the way they interpret this or that point or article they have found in an existing religion. I think the best of us do not pour new wine into old wine bags, though.

how about pouring old wine into new bags? Do you think we are prone to recycling notions and beliefs about "God"?

Wow I just noticed the part about the big bang. Sounds interesting...

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
how about pouring old wine into new bags? Do you think we are prone to recycling notions and beliefs about "God"?

Old wine into new bags? Did I get my metaphor screwed up?

One person's understanding tends to be a bit different from another person's understanding -- even when they use almost exactly the same words to describe their understandings. Two people can agree their god is infinite, but perhaps one of them spends a lot more time thinking about infinity than the other.

Having said that, though, people are essentially conservative. Minor customizations of religion aside, people tend to retain more or less the same understanding of things over great periods of time. That might not be so obvious to us who live in the 21st Century because the past 500 years have been a period of unprecedented change. But looked at in the long run, our species is extremely conservative.

Just look at that old Medieval notion of free will. It's totally outdated now, but most of us still drag it around with us, still think we and others have free will. Sure, we define free will a bit differently than they defined it in the Middle Ages, but the basic idea is still with us. That's how conservative we are as a species.

Atheologian

John Frum
Old wine into new bags? Did I get my metaphor screwed up?

One person's understanding tends to be a bit different from another person's understanding -- even when they use almost exactly the same words to describe their understandings. Two people can agree their god is infinite, but perhaps one of them spends a lot more time thinking about infinity than the other.

Having said that, though, people are essentially conservative. Minor customizations of religion aside, people tend to retain more or less the same understanding of things over great periods of time. That might not be so obvious to us who live in the 21st Century because the past 500 years have been a period of unprecedented change. But looked at in the long run, our species is extremely conservative.

Just look at that old Medieval notion of free will. It's totally outdated now, but most of us still drag it around with us, still think we and others have free will. Sure, we define free will a bit differently than they defined it in the Middle Ages, but the basic idea is still with us. That's how conservative we are as a species.

No you didn't mix words. I was thinking of a subtle difference in the two ways of putting it. Putting New wine into Old bags, to me, would mean applying my beliefs to an existing religious foundation, until I found something I was hapy with, vs. diriving my own beliefs from an existing religion and "updating" it to better resemble what I believe. Though, i think you're right. I think they really are much the same.

Metalic Wings

Anyway, about making up your own deity, god, whatever you call it, I'd also add that I don't think it's possible to absolutely exclude any prior notions of God before you decide. Your own ideas of what constitutes a higher power or supreme being, whatever it is it you, will probably share common traits with other's, because they are likely to fill similar needs and roles. For instance, if your idea of god is that of a philosophical nature, as in "god" as a metaphor for the physical world, or as the driving force behind the universe, you might find it easier to study Eastern Regligions like Taoism or Daoism to help you shape what is meaningful to you.
On the other hand, you might think God is more directly related to your life, guiding us or commanding us. You'd find more helpful ideas, in that case, in modern Christian theists, or Jewish theists.

What I'm saying is there is nothing wrong with developing your own "religion" or notions of "God" from those that you feel might be insightful, helpful, or similar to what you believe is "true".

Well, that's kind of where I'm coming from. I was raised Christian (to an extent) and even though I'm not a strong follower of the religion, some bits just stick with me.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I see so many things I don't agree with in Christianity, yet I still feel a connection to the fundamental structure of the religion.

And does anyone else find it funny that people keep thinking I'm a guy?

Morse

To Extinguish
It really isn't so difficult. Here is something an eclectic pagan I like once said.

"Steal what works, fix whats broke, fake the rest"

Steal what you want from Christianity to start with. After all, religion doesn't have patents yet!

Oh, and I thought you were a guy before there was a pink symbol in the upper right hand corner of your posts. So there.

EDIT: Oh, and check your PMs!

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Just about every Christian denomination was started by one individual, who stirred the pot.
I expect that is true of most religions, if you go far enough back.