• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is religious satire ever unacceptable?

Is religious satire ever unacceptable?

• Total voters

mainliner

no one can de-borg my fact's ...NO-ONE!!
Sometimes a serious subject can be NOTHING but funny :)

take for instance when religion ( i think ) started with hairy monkeys praying at tree's ..idk ... This is true :)

that's all iv got :)

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
The problem is that all manner of things might be deemed 'unacceptable' to me and/or others without it warranting the criminalization of that speech.

Sure, there is a related question here about the legal limits of free speech, but I think the OP question will do as it stands.

mainliner

I think if the subject is raised as unacceptable in a DIR , then it should be up to the elders to teach the ones against satire that's its ok and god would find it funny :)

Rick O'Shez

No, simply because of where lines could get drawn.

Yes, and religious groups are good at arguing for special treatment under the law, always wanting exemptions and exceptions. Dare I mention religious objections to gay marriage here? ;)

Rick O'Shez

I think if the subject is raised as unacceptable in a DIR , then it should be up to the elders to teach the ones against satire that's its ok and god would find it funny :)

So does religious satire ever occur in a DIR here? Presumably not, unless it's self-satire.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Is freedom of speech paramount when talking about religious belief, or are there circumstances in which religious satire is unacceptable?

If you think there are circumstances where religious satire is unacceptable, please describe what they are.
I have seen so much satire of my faith that it doesn't even bother me. But I think we need to remember that sometimes people are pretty thin skinned about their faith, and other times they are very serious about their faith. But we also can't walk around on eggs all the time so we don't accidentally hurt someone's feelings.
My final answer: I don't know. :) (That is an answer).

Rick O'Shez

But I think we need to remember that sometimes people are pretty thin skinned about their faith, and other times they are very serious about their faith

Yes, that's clearly the case, but why do you think some people are so thin skinned about their faith. I can't imagine somebody kicking up such a fuss about political satire, and some people are very serious about their political views too.

Sultan Of Swing

Yes, and religious groups are good at arguing for special treatment under the law, always wanting exemptions and exceptions. Dare I mention religious objections to gay marriage here? ;)
ACLU Teams Up With Atheists to Try and Stop Decades-Old Christmas Tradition | TheBlaze.com
^Any group can get overly worked up over trivial and rather silly issues.

In response to the OP, freedom of speech is indeed paramount. You can offend whoever you like, even if it may breach our sorry borders of political correctness. People don't have a right to feel comfortable, or a right to be not offended.

Can religious satire go too far? Of course it can, sometimes it can be downright rude and mean-spirited, I can see why people get offended. That doesn't take away the person's right to make that satire, and that person's protection under the law from any loons who would intend harm on them.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Yes, that's clearly the case, but why do you think some people are so thin skinned about their faith. I can't imagine somebody kicking up such a fuss about political satire, and some people are very serious about their political views too.
I wish I could answer that. I am very serious about my faith, but maybe I've been desensitized because I've seen satire about it since I was a small child. Sometimes, I think it's funny. They usually just make fun of some of the people who follow said faith.

mainliner

Im hypnotized by a crunchy juicy apple atm if anyone's interested.......just saying lol.

Rick O'Shez

4pzj62i21clu.jpg