• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is religious satire ever unacceptable?

Is religious satire ever unacceptable?

• Total voters

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I didn't know how to vote.

I think certain satire on racial, religious and social topics can be rude and morally unacceptable. That said, in a free society these things should still be legal. You have a legal right to be rude, insulting and morally unacceptable.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I didn't know how to vote.

I think certain satire on racial, religious and social topics can be rude and morally unacceptable. That said, in a free society these things should still be legal. You have a legal right to be rude, insulting and morally unacceptable.
Yes, that's true. If rudeness was a crime, 95% of the people in the world would be criminals. (Most people don't go out of their way to be rude, it just happens when they have a bad day or whatever.)

mainliner

no one can de-borg my fact's ...NO-ONE!!
There's a line , im actually trying to find a time iv ever said anything light hearted about Jesus popping his clogs the way he did ( which i find on a serious note beyond ridiculous) ...... But i can't .

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
There's a line , im actually trying to find a time iv ever said anything light hearted about Jesus popping his clogs the way he did ( which i find on a serious note beyond ridiculous) ...... But i can't .
I double dog dare you to replace Jesus with Muhammad.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Is a mature religion one that can laugh at itself, and therefore doesn't have a big problem with people making jokes at it's expense?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I double dog dare you to replace Jesus with Muhammad.
I wonder if Jesus holding a bomb is acceptable?
th

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I agree that it is poor taste, but I don't get in a frenzy over it. Besides, that's not what Jesus actually looked like. He looked like a middle Eastern man. ;)
I got a weird reaction from my mom over Christmas when I casually said that Jesus was not "white". She was really quite upset at the notion. People from the Middle East generally do not look like they grew up in Ireland or Scotland.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Well, I should be cut some slack because actual photographs of Jesus are scarce as hen's teeth.
I've still got a couple of Polaroids... He was doing his wine thing at a Bacchanalia one weekend...

A very handy guy to have around at a beach party. I digress...

mainliner

There's a line , im actually trying to find a time iv ever said anything light hearted about MOHAMMAD popping his clogs the way he did ( which i find on a serious note beyond ridiculous) ...... But i can't .
some one double dog dared me......dont judge me :)

mainliner

I wonder if Jesus holding a bomb is acceptable?
th
i thought satire was comical......this has nothing to do with comedy, its the shock factor like art of dead whales being used as someone's coffee table <<<< see NOT funny !!

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Though in poor taste, I simply cannot imagine a Christian wetting their pants over it.

Isnt that largely because Christian culture started outsourcing the violence to state run organizations rather than being particularly peaceful?

Tom

sorry my phone is being wonky

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Isnt that largely because Christian culture started outsourcing the violence to state run organizations rather than being particularly peaceful?

Tom

sorry my phone is being wonky
Of course, that must be the answer. Why didn't I see this bit of genius before?

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
I can't help myself somerimes. I have that American "dry humor". Sometimes it confuses my brothers (but I am always huggie with my sisters) of another mother. Actually, I suspect one day it might very well get me arrested. Which considering some hotels I have stayed in Nepal and other places is the same thing. But even I will be nice when it is appropriate. So I would say sometimes it isn't appropriate. For example, let us say I missed my bus out of Bhogapol town about 22 kilometers from my Punjab hotel. It is 1130 PM at night. There is a guy swinging a rat by the tail over to my right playing some odd game of "bounce" off a wall of a crumbling old phone booth that has no pay phone. Then one lone taxi comes along, I wave him over. He's wearing a faded, almost pink turbatn. Would I crack a joke about his turban.and mix in a bit of religious satire about.Sikhs?

no