• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Abrahamic God Moral?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
...wouldn't you think that was man interfering in natural selection by looking after injured or old and young humans to a degree that upset the natural balance , of predator and prey

I would suggest that looking after the old and the young is actually a pretty good survival strategy.

Popeyesays

Sorry, but i am confused.

In Hinduism, most Hindus accept that the figure represents not the Godhead, but an avatar of the Godhead. It's a representation of an aspect of God, and considering the aspect of God, one is considering GOD.

The idols Abraham destroyed had no representation of the Godhead, they were representations of gods, each independent of or subservient to another god.

Regards,
Scott

In Hinduism, most Hindus accept that the figure represents not the Godhead, but an avatar of the Godhead. It's a representation of an aspect of God, and considering the aspect of God, one is considering GOD.

The idols Abraham destroyed had no representation of the Godhead, they were representations of gods, each independent of or subservient to another god.

Regards,
Scott

Ok, i understand now, now how is this not the simple idolatory i understand which is simply worshipping idols.

Popeyesays

And by your beliefs the teapot in the kitchen, the empty cup and you yourself, are or contain God. Right?

Regards,
Scott

Popeyesays

Everything contains teh spirit of god, whatever has a purpose uses the power of god... Since everythingh as a purpose evrything has god.

So the idol and the teapot are both the same by that estimate. In other words the idol has no special definition. Therefore it is not an idol in the sense of Biblical idolatry.

By the way, I believe the teachings of Krshna are Abrahamic in origin.

Regards,
Scott

So the idol and the teapot are both the same by that estimate. In other words the idol has no special definition. Therefore it is not an idol in the sense of Biblical idolatry.

By the way, I believe the teachings of Krshna are Abrahamic in origin.

Regards,
Scott

The idol hasa face and arms. What is easier to defien with god. I would not worship a teapot, when in essence you can, but i would not.

Krishna's teachings are not Abrahamic, his teaching were much older then Christians, i find in nothing less then an insult to say what you just said.

Krishna has more sense then the Abrahamic religions, thats on the level you just insulted me.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
God, by definition is not immoral but the very definition of morality.

However, man is incredibly immoral and he is determined to seek justification for every horrendous deed he has ever done. So, in the OT we have man ascribing all sorts of evil motivations and actions to a God he doesn't quite understand.

In the NT, we have God become flesh and he came to set the record straight. "I desire mercy and not Sacrifice!" "Love your neighbor as yourself." are given to us and frankly the whole idea that there aren't a bunch of laws frightens us. So much so, that we take the first opportunity to crucify God.

So, did we invent God? Are there TWO Gods? Is God schizophrenic? No, it's not God who is changing: it's us. Just as we evolved from a one cell organism, our society is also evolving. We were once quite tribal and so our views were such. We defined God in terms of being a tribe. Today, we have a more global view, and yet we seemed determined to judge God by the writings of a few tribesmen. Go figure.

Popeyesays

"Krishna's teachings are not Abrahamic, his teaching were much older then Christians, i find in nothing less then an insult to say what you just said."

Abraham existed before Krshna you know. Just because you take insult does not meant insult was given.

Regards,
Scott

Popeyesays

Abraham's lineage is the source of all the Great Prophets:

Moses, Zoroaster, Krshna, Jesus, Buddha, Muhammed, Baha`u'llah.

Regards,
Scott

kmkemp

The idol hasa face and arms. What is easier to defien with god. I would not worship a teapot, when in essence you can, but i would not.

Krishna's teachings are not Abrahamic, his teaching were much older then Christians, i find in nothing less then an insult to say what you just said.

Krishna has more sense then the Abrahamic religions, thats on the level you just insulted me.

Abraham wasn't a Christian.

kmkemp

God, by definition is not immoral but the very definition of morality.

However, man is incredibly immoral and he is determined to seek justification for every horrendous deed he has ever done. So, in the OT we have man ascribing all sorts of evil motivations and actions to a God he doesn't quite understand.

In the NT, we have God become flesh and he came to set the record straight. "I desire mercy and not Sacrifice!" "Love your neighbor as yourself." are given to us and frankly the whole idea that there aren't a bunch of laws frightens us. So much so, that we take the first opportunity to crucify God.

So, did we invent God? Are there TWO Gods? Is God schizophrenic? No, it's not God who is changing: it's us. Just as we evolved from a one cell organism, our society is also evolving. We were once quite tribal and so our views were such. We defined God in terms of being a tribe. Today, we have a more global view, and yet we seemed determined to judge God by the writings of a few tribesmen. Go figure.

How do you reconcile Jesus quoting the OT numerous times, using it as 'proof' to Jewish skeptics and his never mentioning your theory? It seems likely to me that he would have reproofed the current version of the OT if he felt it was in error. Maybe I'm missing something.

edit: maybe this should be a separate thread.

Popeyesays

Abraham wasn't a Christian.

So? According to the Qur'an Abraham was a Muslim and so was Jesus. A Muslim is someone Who submits His Own will to God. Abraham and Jesus certainly did that. So did Krshna. So in a very real sense Krshna was a Muslim, too.

Regards,
Scott

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
How do you reconcile Jesus quoting the OT numerous times, using it as 'proof' to Jewish skeptics and his never mentioning your theory? It seems likely to me that he would have reproofed the current version of the OT if he felt it was in error. Maybe I'm missing something.

edit: maybe this should be a separate thread.
What did he quote? "I desire mercy and not sacrifice." Yeah, Jesus was really into War. Heck, I have quoted the OT more than Jesus did. Big whoop-ti-do!