• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Annie Leibovitz Photo of Miley Cyrus Immoral?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
17 pages worth of posts and you guys still don't get that this is not about the amount of skin revealed.

whatever...

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
17 pages worth of posts and you guys still don't get that this is not about the amount of skin revealed.

whatever...

I think the point is that nothing about the picture is especially sexual, unless that's what you attribute to it. If the bare skin is not why you see it as sexual, then I really don't see why you see it as such.

McBell

Admiral Obvious

whatever...
Really?
So you would have the exact same objections to the photo if the exact same pose, sheet and all, was done and she was wearing a t-shirt?

blackout

Violet.
I've been thinking alot about this,
and everyone's comments.
And the "public" reaction in general.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If parents don't like that their little girl's "I"Dolls (Idols)
may not always serve as "statuary" I'm-ages (images)
that THEY themselves want reflected in their own children...

then perhaps they should not allow their children to have idols.

Who IS "Hannah Montana"? A fictional character.
Who IS Millie Cyrus? I do not know any more than you do.
and we never will.

She is a (multi-million $) public FIGURE.
What would she say/release without her publicists approval?

She is also a DEVELOPING human being,
a young woman,
who is HOPEFULLY (and aparantely)
outgrowing her "little girl" ROLE
as we speak.

But for all the mothers
of little girls with HannahMontana
lunchboxes, bookbags, backpacks,
sunglasses, lipgloss,
shirts, jeans, hats, bracelets,
neclaces, shoes and underwear..........
this is simply unacceptable.

But I ask? WHO do they want their little girls to be?
Little carbon copy wanna'be's of some ficticious pop I-doll?

I doll. Mothers and fathers, do you want your little "I"'s
to Image themselves as a mass marketed doll?

Or do you want them to Image / Imagine
THEIR OWN UNIQUENESS.

When idols fall short,
there are only the parents to blame.

They should know better.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Is this photo by Annie Leibovitz of 15 year old Miley Cyrus indecent or immoral? Why or why not? Should Miley Cyrus apologize for expressing her sexuality? Why or why not?

I don't feel that the photo is indecent or immoral. It totally has this classical feel to it. It looks like the photo shoot was tastefully done.

I feel that the choice of makeup ruins the picture. Miley has a lovely face and her face was ruined by the horrible choice of makeup. The choice of makeup smears her innocence, in my opinion...NOT the pose itself.

If Miley has regrets...that's really her stupid problem. I personally, don't see anything sexual about the photo.

If it was me...even at fifteen, I would have thrown a fit over my face.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
I don't feel that the photo is indecent or immoral. It totally has this classical feel to it. It looks like the photo shoot was tastefully done.

I feel that the choice of makeup ruins the picture. Miley has a lovely face and her face was ruined by the horrible choice of makeup. The choice of makeup smears her innocence, in my opinion...NOT the pose itself.

If Miley has regrets...that's really her stupid problem. I personally, don't see anything sexual about the photo.

If it was me...even at fifteen, I would have thrown a fit over my face.

Yea...I see what you mean....I guess the artist (photographer) wanted the lipstick on her so that the eye would be drawn to the face.....I don't know.....

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Yea...I see what you mean....I guess the artist (photographer) wanted the lipstick on her so that the eye would be drawn to the face.....I don't know.....

The only other thing the eye could be drawn to is her boney back. She's not really revealing anything. I'd feel different if she were posing nude. She's draped and covered.

I'm curious what Annie's intent was. I've revealed my secret. I'm quite bothered by the lipstick. (Shivers.):D

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
The only other thing the eye could be drawn to is her boney back.

Well, I respectfully disagree. Everyone will see something different when looking at photos or paintings. I was not "drawn" to her back. I noticed the eyes and then the lips. I like pretty eyes.....so that's what I noticed.

I'm curious what Annie's intent was.

Yea...I guess we may never know...

I've revealed my secret. I'm quite bothered by the lipstick. (Shivers.):D

Well, I totally understand. Some people like a more natural look. There are certain people who I feel may not require lipstick....Angelina Jolie (not sure if I spelled it correctly) comes to mind.

PureX

Veteran Member
The only other thing the eye could be drawn to is her boney back. She's not really revealing anything. I'd feel different if she were posing nude. She's draped and covered.

I'm curious what Annie's intent was. I've revealed my secret. I'm quite bothered by the lipstick. (Shivers.):D
Annie's intent was to do exactly what you see. And what you are seeing is a young woman sitting is a very classical/traditional pose that intends to portray a combination of modesty, or innocence, and ripe sexuality. What is disconcerting about the photo is the make-up. That seems to contradict the traditional depiction of modesty and innocence. But Annie Leibovitz's photos are always disconcerting in some way.

I think it sends a bad message or invitation for old men to lust after her. I'm surprised her parents allowed it.

To be sexual around other 15-16 years olds is fine. Why would you want your daughter to be sexual for the entire public to see? I don't get it.

i totally agree, how could the father allow this to happen? if it was my daughter it would not have been done, but you Americans love a bit of jail bait ***, you love it, jojo, britney, christina, hilary duff plus many more. your a country of paedos

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
i totally agree, how could the father allow this to happen? if it was my daughter it would not have been done, but you Americans love a bit of jail bait ***, you love it, jojo, britney, christina, hilary duff plus many more. your a country of paedos

Actually this may not be completely the truth here.......Other countries in Europe, china and Japan proudly display sexuality on their televisions in the form of game shows etc....

or even this here....
YouTube - Film lovers will love this!

I recently saw a chart that showed that the Philippines, Japan, Nigeria and Argentina boast the lowest consensual age to have sex starting at "12" or "13"......What country do you live in?

Hilary Duff - 20 yrs old
Britney Spears 26 yrs old
JoJo - 17 (Will be 18 this year)
Christina Aguilera - 26 yrs old

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
UK. Isn't the age of consent there 16?

Yes....but I think it also depends on what area as well...

The chart I have says that in the "Northern Islands" it is;

female to Male = 17
Male to male = 17
Female to Female = 17

While in Guernsey and Gibraltar it has it as 16, 18, 16.

The area where it is 16 across the board is England, Scotland, Wales Jersey, Isle of Man.

At least that's what the chart I have says.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Annie's intent was to do exactly what you see. And what you are seeing is a young woman sitting is a very classical/traditional pose that intends to portray a combination of modesty, or innocence, and ripe sexuality.
For sale.

Really PureX, you must either be a prude or a pervert if you see any sexuality in that photo. After all, girls show more skin on the beach. [/sarcasm]

PureX

Veteran Member
Really PureX, you must either be a prude or a pervert if you see any sexuality in that photo. After all, girls show more skin on the beach. [/sarcasm]
I don't mean that kind of sexuality. It's more a young woman in bloom. A girl becomes a woman, ready to reproduce, yet for a moment, she still retains her girlish innocence even as her body has ripened. This has been a popular subject for artists, forever. It's about the tension between a girl and a woman. It's about how they reside together for a very short time in the same body, and then vanish forever, which is why artists have wanted to capture it in drawings and paintings and sculptures, so as to keep that fleeting moment.